marieearl77

Single wall kitchen with island. Is it possible with these dimensions?

Ellie
5 years ago

The first drawing below is the main wall of our kitchen (not a floorplan) The ceiling is 2.8m high on the left, then slopes on the right. This is an internal wall. The wall on the right of the pic is wall which will open onto the garden.

I have titled the thread 'single wall kitchen with island' but technically it will not be a single wall kitchen as I will have a large pantry cupboard and integrated fridge freezer. These are located on the wall that is on the left. These areas will be created under the stairs that exist on the left side wall. As these are existing stairs, the stairs will remain and I cannot move them, so reckon pantry cupboard and integrated fridge freezer would be best use of the space.

So, the pic below is all available space. There are no windows on this wall. However the roof does slope as indicated. To the right of this wall is a 5m wall which will have 3.6m sliding doors onto garden. Parallel to the sliding doors I will have a dining table. I will have an island in front of the kitchen units, parallel. The island will start on the left and go to around 1.7-2m along. I will not have any sink or appliances on this island.

This single wall area needs to include -

sink

hob/oven - range preference

washing machine - currently is on the right under the sloped roof.

(dont have a dishwasher and don't plan on having one)

Dont really want lots of wall units, prefer shelves.

This wall backs onto the bathroom.

For extraction - less than half of the wall , only around 2.3m on the right side of the wall - is the exterior wall so would it be best to sit hob/oven nearer that side? This is a bungalow, ground floor.

Boiler, is currently actually on the 5m wall on the right of this wall. New boiler will have to be on this wall.

note- on the floorplan that window is being blocked up to allow better use of the space.

The size of the space is not flexible, this space exists, however it will be created by knocking down wall between kitchen and dining room. What we do with the space is open for suggestions.

Do you have any recommendations on how I could set out the kitchen?

Do I need wall cupboards?

I reckon a 1.7m island would be maximum length that would allow me to still have dining table?

I am happy with the space, but the one niggle is that I know on entering the kitchen you would be almost walking right through the area between kitchen and island. Dont think I can change that though

Any thoughts?

Many thanks for looking!

Single wall kitchen (plus island) · More Info

House · More Info

Comments (23)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.