peggysue67

True paint colour - help!

peggysue67
5 years ago
Hi. Can anyone tell me how much an existing wall colour can affect the appearance of paint samples? I have painted squares on each of the walls in our new flat to see how the light affects them. The existing walls are a cream paint on wood chip wallpaper. However the colour on the walls appears totally different from the paint swatches. I then painted onto white paper and those colours match the paint swatches so it just all seems to go wrong when on the walls! I have done two coats so don’t think that it is the colour behind showing through but wondered if it is the cream around the swatches that is throwing the colour off? for example, Farrow and Ball pavilion blue has a pale green/yellow tinge on the paper but looks like a really pale watery blue on the walls. Similarly the Farrow and Ball Middleton pink looks like a real little girls room pink on the walls but on paper it is more of a pale blush. Either way should I choose my colours purely by looking at them on the white paper or should I choose them from seeing them on the existing walls? I would be really grateful if anyone could give me some advice please! Thank you.

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.