marieearl77

Simple (?) knock-through. Will builders be able to quote?

Ellie
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We are planning what should be a simple knock-through - removal of 2 walls between kitchen and dining room (load-bearing walls) and installation of sliding doors and 2 velux. This is to create open kitchen/diner which will have a new kitchen installed.

There is no extension, just renovation.

I have my plans - existing and proposed (already submitted for planning permission as we are in a conservation area) The plans are so basic as it really is only 2 rooms knocked into 2.

Will these plans be enough for a builder to quote? Or do I need to have an indepth list of every single thing I want done? Can we assume......

removal of wallpaper

plaster finish

electrics

plumbing

ceilings

skirting boards

one of the floorboards a bit 'wonky' repair that

render the outside wall at each side of the sliding doors

put in the supporting beams

move position of boiler and actually install new one.

............ list is endless and these are obviously only things that a newbie to renovation can see but there are millions of other things that will be involved.

Do builders quote assuming they are doing all these things - thats the norm when working?

Do I find a builder that will install the kitchen too? I guess it would make sense? And the tiling too?

If a builder comes round to look, do we go over with them all the major things that we want done and they would know all the work that would be involved in doing that? (I think that would be the case to be honest)

Thanks for any advice!

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.