johnleh

Metal garden staircase dilemma

johnleh
5 years ago

Hi everyone

The wooden staircase down to my garden is rotting. *sobs* Here it is:

I want to replace it with a metal staircase, perhaps a bit more funky like this style:

But I keep receiving conflicting advice on finish: some say that it must be (hot-dipped?) galvanised before installation to ensure longevity, more expensive. Others claim that galvanising is a potential waste of money as onsite cuts will compromise it, and that if I repaint the staircase (presumably with the right sort of weather-protective paint) every three years or so it will last for donkeys years.

So a gamble either way it seems.. Who is right? Any guidance greatly appreciated.

It is also hard to find a recommended supplier of this kind of thing around London. It seems the best idea is to go direct to a fabrication company, but I have had quotes ranging from £4k to £12k and several seem worryingly vague. Can anyone recommend an outfit who do this sort of thing?

Many thanks for any help with this.

Comments (5)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.