johnleh

Metal garden staircase dilemma

johnleh

Hi everyone

The wooden staircase down to my garden is rotting. *sobs* Here it is:

I want to replace it with a metal staircase, perhaps a bit more funky like this style:

But I keep receiving conflicting advice on finish: some say that it must be (hot-dipped?) galvanised before installation to ensure longevity, more expensive. Others claim that galvanising is a potential waste of money as onsite cuts will compromise it, and that if I repaint the staircase (presumably with the right sort of weather-protective paint) every three years or so it will last for donkeys years.

So a gamble either way it seems.. Who is right? Any guidance greatly appreciated.

It is also hard to find a recommended supplier of this kind of thing around London. It seems the best idea is to go direct to a fabrication company, but I have had quotes ranging from £4k to £12k and several seem worryingly vague. Can anyone recommend an outfit who do this sort of thing?

Many thanks for any help with this.