heather_bailiff

do we lose too much garden with this extension?

Heather
5 years ago
Current size of our garden is ~12.5m length, ~8.5m width. Plan to do double storey extension at rear within permitted development, so 4m ground floor and 3m 1st floor. Will leave us with a main garden of 8.5m long, 8.5m width. It is a detached house and we hopefully going to get small side extension to increase ground floor area leaving us with an additional side return of about 4mx2m -plan to put the shed here.

We’d like to have a patio for seating/outdoor table, maybe a pergola, BBQ area, and still some lawn for potential children to play on. Few areas for potted plants - prefer these to flowerbeds. There are no large trees in the garden - we have a small blossom tree which is beautiful when in flower and would like to keep.

Photo below of current garden - can’t see full garden as there is already a small 1980’s rear extension on the house - a 4m ground floor extension would extend to around half a metre beyond the current decking. Garage will be demolished to allow more space in garden. Garden is south facing so plenty of sun (and will have even more sun once the garage is gone)

Is this extension going to eat up too much of the garden? It’s the one thing that’s bugging me about this extension as I can’t visualise it in my head.

Anybody got any advice or been in a similar situation and has pics would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Comments (13)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.