smg0158

Small dwelling with too many doors and bad "flow"!

smg0158
5 years ago

Just bought this property as a downsizer for retirement. The smallness of it and the 'flow' are challenging us! There are an awful lot of doors and 'pathways' that people need to walk through.

If anyone has any ideas about how to alter the layout and flow we would much appreciate it.

Our ideas so far have included:

• Blocking up the 2nd kitchen door into the hallway & putting a storage cupboard in the kitchen side and another one in the hallway side
  • Removing all of part of the wall between the kitchen and lounge / diner
  • Putting sliding doors between kitchen & lounge diner ( if wall not removed), between lounge/diner and hallway and between master bedroom and en-suite
  • Knocking the 2 bathrooms into one but keeping the 2 access doors. Maybe partioning off a bit of the bathroom from the bedroom access as a dressing room

There is no built in storage apart from in the kitchen.

The ceilings in the lounge/diner, kitchen and master bedroom are sloping open loft type with the apex of the roof line running in the middle of the property,left to right, with a height of approx 12 feet, so upwards storage is a possibility.

We are also looking at furniture with multiple uses - e.g extendable table, seats with storage etc etc.

Any ideas, comments, experiences, suggestions at all would be most welcome!

Comments (16)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.