angela_konteas

Help needed - layout of kitchen/access to utility

angela_konteas
5 years ago

We're planning a rear extension to our 1980s 4 bed detached house to create an open plan kitchen/diner. The existing kitchen will become a large utility room which we want to use for drying/ironing laundry, general utility space as well as a pantry. Ideally we would have set less space for the utility room but we are using the existing support for the steel for the extension as we didn't want a pillar in the middle of the kitchen and our budget won't stretch to digging out for a new support in order to make the utility room a bit smaller.

We are planning a U shaped kitchen, the right hand wall of which will need to include a door into the utility room. We have limited space for full height kitchen units which can only be on that right hand wall - we need to fit a full length fridge/freezer and mid-height double oven somewhere. We'll also need our hob on this wall I think, otherwise I don't know how we could fit an extractor hood over it.

I've been thinking of having a large pantry and the fridge/freezer in the utility room to free up space in the kitchen and have all of our food together in one place. I can't decide whether in practice this is a good idea or if it will be too far away from the kitchen and it become annoying day to day.

We're probably missing other options, so any suggestions would be very welcome!

The 3 black arrows show the possible location of the door into the utility room. The circle is the corner of the existing wall which will remain as a pillar to support the steel and will have to be incorporated/hidden in the line of kitchen units.

Comments (25)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.