jennykathrynsmith

Help! Big extension, trying to fit everything in;critique these plans!

Jenny Smith
5 years ago

Hi Houzzers,

We're about to exchange contracts on our new house. It's in an ideal location and has a big garden. But - it needs a LOT doing to it.

It's got so much potential to extend in 3 directions that we can't work out what best to do - and the local architectural designers / architects are all unkeen to tell us their ideas before we choose to go with them. But then it makes it very hard to know who to choose!

Attached are drawings of the current floorplan and plot, and our proposed floorplans in pink (sketch drawings we've done ourselves - we're not in any way qualified btw). Please critique them!

Our wishlist to have in the property are:
Upstairs:

4 good sized bedrooms (one with ensuite)

1 upstairs office

Upstairs family bathroom with bath and separate shower

Downstairs:

toilet

utility room

big kitchen/diner at back of house with doors to living room and to garden

living room at back of house with doors opening to kitchen/diner and to garden

family /music room at front of house (keep existing room)

garage with internal door

"train room" for my husband's model railway layout - I'm not actually joking!!! (Approx half the size of a standard garage).

?workshop area if enough space/budget

space as you come into house for bags/coats/buggies

Our budget is £150,000 and we've been told that £1500/sqm is a rough cost locally by builders (this includes bathroom and kitchen). I think when we total it up it comes to more like £190,000 however, so we would have some saving to do. Any tips or ideas to make it cheaper are welcomed though!

We thought using the dark internal space downstairs as a cloakroom area and loo could work, especially with one pane of glass to get the garden view directly from the front door. We want doors between the living room and diner, and also out to the garden from living room and from diner. It's an early 1960s ex council house so the ceilings aren't that high, so I'd love to find a way to bring light into everywhere especially into the kitchen diner and living room. Hopefully we could have velux windows above the units but would this be enough for good light? The garden is south facing. How about the sitting room, how can we get more light in without huge expensive RSJ (or would it not be that expensive?)

Drawings are to scale ISH. The current upstairs is approx 7.5 x 7m to give you an idea of size.

Be very interested in everyone's thoughts! Thanks, Jenny

Downstairs currently (with this part of the garden boundaries sketched out):

Downstairs proposed:

Upstairs currently:

Upstairs proposed:

Comments (22)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.