arturo_tc

Top Five Unique Ways of Increasing Your House Price

Arthur Rohers
5 years ago

If you’re reading this article, you’ve likely already been working on some home-improvement projects to increase the value of your home. But once you’ve exhausted the obvious, what’s next?

In this article we look at the top 5 ‘alternative’ ways of increasing your home’s value.

Keeping Up Appearances

Front gardens can often be little more than car parks, which – depending on the buyer – may be seen as a positive or a negative. If your front garden has been converted into a parking space, our advice is to mix it up a little by adding tubs of beautiful flowers around the perimeter (such as the red leaved Pieris Forest Flame) to at least give an impression of natural foliage. You could also add a few ecological features in the shape of a mini-pond for wildlife, a few nest boxes on the wall and a bird table. Buyers will realise that if the local wildlife like your space they probably will too.

Water Saving

Whether your home is fitted with a water meter or not, why not consider incorporating water saving devices? For example, there are gadgets that lurk by the plughole of your shower monitoring the amount of water you use and if you've been excessive, it uses technology to reduce your next shower accordingly. There are also devices that can be fitted to shower heads and taps that incorporate air into the water flow that gives the impression that you're using a high pressured volume when you're really saving water.

Cladding

This can be a sore point with many homeowners as unsightly cladding can make buyers wince at the thought of removing it. However, if your brickwork is not quite as elegant as it could be, adding a section of cladding in rot-proof imitation timbers or even bespoke aluminium panels can add value and a unique style. There are several ecologically approved Structural Insulation Panels (SIPS) in a variety of superior materials that can be added to the walls, floors and interior of the roof to considerably reduce fuel bills and noise levels, features that are sure to appeal to your buyers.

Know Who to Target

Studying the local trends of who is moving into your neighbourhood can help you prepare your home for the right buyer. If there appears to be an increase in younger professionals then it may be worth converting a spare room into a study with purpose built fitted units. Converting a garage into extra living space for a growing family doesn't usually require planning permission, but check with the local planning department first to discover if the builders of your home added a covenant preventing a change. Installing a pre-fabricated conservatory can be an inexpensive way to add an extra room while increasing your home's value.

Smart Technology

Turning your home into a house of the future by installing a range of remotely controlled gadgets is estimated to appeal to 28% more buyers than one without. There are systems available that allow you to control heating, lighting and kitchen appliances from your smartphone so the house is warm and cosy complete (and with dinner already cooked!) by the time you arrive. There are also voice activated systems so that you don't have to move from the sofa to turn unnecessary lights off. Whilst it important to ensure that your home looks appealing, by concentrating on including features that are of practical use - particularly if your ideas will save them time and money in the future - you are sure to increase the value of your home.

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.