sian_vyguskeast

Porcelain or Sandstone Paving?

Siân Vygus Keast
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We're getting quotes for our patio at the moment. Before getting quotes we'd looked round at paving and chosen a higher-end sawn 'fossil mint' sandstone slab, it was a reasonable match to the tiles that we've used inside the house.

*Inside vs Outside (FYI. The patio level outside is getting raised by 50cm so it'll be an almost flush finish from inside to outside.)*

-

Yesterday one of the paving companies who came to quote suggested that we consider using porcelain slabs instead. Their reasoning was that it was lower maintenance (no resealing), easier to keep clean (doesn't mark/stain like sandstone) and would give a better/more consistent match to the tiling inside the house.

They recommended 'Slab Khaki' by London Stone, it's a very good match and looks lovely but is around £15msq more expensive than the sandstone.

*Slab Khaki by London Stone on top of the inside flooring*

-

Not sure what to do, the cost difference is quite large. But if the benefits are not being exaggerated then it's probably worth the extra cost. Any photos, thoughts, or advice would be really appreciated.

Has anyone had Porcelain Slabs installed on their patio?

Were you happy with them? Are they really that easy to maintain? Do they still look good after time? Is London Stone a good quality of slab?

Comment (1)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.