adrianlowery

How to fill a blank wall with fitted shelving / storage / cupboards

adrianlowery
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We have a 'blank' wall (i.e., nothing in it except power sockets) in our living room, against which we current have a TV cabinet, a unit that holds our stereo and some records etc, and a bookcase. We're chronically lacking storage, places to put books in, tidy stuff away etc, so we want to fill this wall with shelving and cupboards (and maybe drawers).

My first idea was to recreate the chimney breast, with alcove shelving either side above cupboards that was originally there. I got a carpenter to quote to do this using MDF (for everything, 'chimney breast' included), and he came back with £950 fitted, which didn't seem too bad at all to me?

But I think that was raw MDF - which will then need to be painted and home-decorated MDF doesn't look great does it? Can you get coated / laminated / prepainted MDF?

The alternative is to just fill the space with storage with some kind of modular / pre-pack / self-design system. We definitely want cupboards at ground level on either side with space on top for our TV on one side, and stereo on the other, and we definitely want lots of bookshelves higher up - but other than that are quite flexible on how it looks.

We don't want to spend very much as we're not going to be there for long. I've been on some of these self-design sites (Pickawood, Jali) and the cost soon starts mounting up when you'recovering a surface this size (3.7mx2.5m).

I'm after recommendations of where to go for this sort of thing, rather than the actual design.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.