davidqjohntson

Simple Tips to Help You Sell Your Home Quicker

David Johntson
5 years ago

Selling a property is rarely a quick or particularly easy process. There will always be exceptions, of course, but generally most properties will be on the market for weeks, months or even years before they sell. This is especially true when there are a lot of similar properties on the market, giving buyers a huge amount of choice in any given price bracket.

However, there are some practical things you can do to help speed up the process of selling your home, allowing you to move on new properties and not get stuck with a house or apartment that simply won't shift. These simple but effective tips will help you sell your property that little bit quicker:

It Helps to Understand the Current Market

It might seem obvious to some people, but many potential sellers enter the market without really understanding it. You need to know if it's considered a 'buyers' or a 'sellers' market, as this will help you price your property effectively. The more you understand the market you're entering, the better you'll be able to decorate and dress the property, the easier you'll find it to attract buyers and you'll be able to time and price your property to give it the best possible chance of selling quickly.

Improve the Key Rooms

Many potential buyers pay far more attention to the bathroom and the kitchen then they perhaps should, so anything you can do to improve these two rooms will work in your favour. If you can afford to completely redo them, you can actually add value to the property as well as improving the chances of it selling.

Dial Up the Curb Appeal

First impressions are always important, and this is particularly true when it comes to selling houses. Millions of people all over the world choose to look for properties online, where curb appeal is perhaps even more important. If people aren't attracted to the photo of the house, they certainly won't check on the rest of the listing. Spend time improving the front garden, removing any clutter from the front of the house and, if necessary, consider painting the property or changing the front door. Anything you can do to inexpensively improve your properties' curb appeal could make a major difference.

Get the Price Right

While every seller wants to get the most they can for their house, pricing a property too high is one of the easiest ways to turn off potential buyers. A good place to start is, of course, with an estate agent or realtor who will give you their valuation. However, it's also worth creating a spreadsheet of other properties that are for sale in the area, as well as those that have already sold. Keep a track of the prices they sell for, and what new sellers are asking. Your spreadsheet should contain information like whether it's a new build or not, how many bedrooms and bathrooms it has and the street it's located on. Distance to things like schools, shops and supermarkets is also useful information - just be sure to avoid any simple Excel errors, as they're easy to make and can lead you to making ill-informed decisions. The more you know about other homes in your city and local area, the easier it is to set realistic and achievable prices.

Comment (1)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.