keswing

Bifold or sliding aluminium doors - 2.6m opening

keswing
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi all,

We're in the process of having our extension built and have to make the decision whether to have sliding or bi-fold aluminium patio doors. The opening is 2.6m wide.

Initially we were set on having bi-folds but we're no longer convinced they are the best solution for our space. I hadn't considered that they would protrude into our small patio space, or that the master door would have to be on the right (from inside the extension) which doesn't seem to be the natural flow. To resolve the 'folding' issue we have be told they could open inwards but I wonder if they will take up too much space based on the size of the room and the proposed layout? Also we have had to reduce the opening from 3m to 2.6 (to avoid clashing with existing French doors) I wonder if at this size there will be too much frame and not enough glass?

The other option is to have sliding doors which do not provide the inside/out feel we hoped for but would resolve the 'folding' issue and would have less frame.

Any advice?

The pictures below are of the current build stage, the proposed plans (although the opening has been reduced from 3m to 2.6m), plus an idea of the internal layout.

Comments (9)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.