esma7

Kitchen project and (marble effect?) backsplash suggestions please!

Esma
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi all,

I’m back for more advice pretty please :D

We’re having the kitchen done and have gone for the Winchester blue. It went really well with the marble effect laminate worktop and I’ve accented it with copper handles for an injection of colour as otherwise I felt it looked a bit drab and too grey. The floors will be this light grey/white wooden laminate floor.

We will also be squeezing in a mini breakfast bar which I am super excited about, mainly because I can have some pretty pendant lights above it, and I’ve gone for a copper effect light to match the handles (Eglo Romacor). I couldn’t get a pair so I’ve managed to find a trio on a bar to make fitting and adjusting easier.

The room currently is an embarrassing mess to say the least as we’ve almost ripped out the last kitchen and the sofas are sitting in there whilst the living room is plastered! Also there is an extension going on on the other side so unfortunately everything has been dumped in the kitchen. I’m going to bite the bullet and show you a picture anyway!

Ok so with the marble effect worktop, I was wondering if I should add a decorative tile backsplash to the back wall or have it in a marble effect hexagon tile instead. I’m going for hexagon tiles to add interest. The pictures below will illustrate what I mean. I’ve also got a proposed layout of the kitchen and pictures of the laminate worktop.

The next picture that shows the three decorative tiles are the ones I’m currently considering but only for the back wall. I fell in love with the dark blue Parisian tiles (middle ones) but I don’t want to put them in if they‘ll make the kitchen too busy and crowded.

Also the pendant lights will go across the breakfast bar (obviously!) but as you enter the kitchen they will face you head on, so you will only see them from the side.

So my questions:

1. Should I go for a decorative back wall, in the blue Parisian hex tiles or would that be too busy? If I could, should I put a few between the marble effect tiles rather than a full on decorated wall?

2. If not, I was thinking to go with the marble effect tiles all around the kitchen..do you think that would work?

3. What would be a matching colour to paint the rest of the walls, bearing in mind there’s not a lot of natural light coming in now?

4. Finally, should I grade the height of the pendant lights to give a better effect when walking into the room, so shortest on the side closest to the living room and longest near the wall?

Comments (21)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.