maidoc

Vaulted lounge with dominant Cheshire brick fireplace

Colin Wigley
5 years ago

We have a upstairs lounge with a vaulted ceiling and solid oak floors. It is great room but it has a large brick fireplace extending to the ceiling with a large oppressive black gas burner which fills the hearth. The hearth is also raised which makes it feel bigger.

The height of the fireplace to the ceiling is 11.5 ft - so it tends to dominate the room which is 16 x 17ft.

My thoughts were to apply a colour wash - probably pale grey to the brickwork above the mantel beam and change the colour in the recess to a light grey. Am apprehensive to do this as would be difficult to reverse if not a success.

Am also thinking of changing the stove to a smaller log burner to be able make more of the space in the hearth

It is also difficult to find something to hang above the fireplace as it gradually becomes less deep above the mantel meaning the only flat area is the last 2-3 feet below the ceiling.

The room currently has 20 year old ceiling spots and am think of changing to two largish pendants to add interest.

Grateful for any thought or suggestions. Many thanks.

Comments (17)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.