webuser_755858209

Patio shading on single storey extension and bifolds

HU-755858209
5 years ago

We have an almost finished single storey extension with hipped lean to roof. Still to be rendered and garden a blank canvas right now!

It's a SW facing garden and we have full width bifolds and 2 large velux... so yes hot!

We've installed awning blinds over the velux which has solved the solar gain from above but next step is to design shading that we can have over the bifolds and the soon-to-be patio area at the back of the house.

We're struggling to come up with design ideas for the area at the back of the house. Shading needs to be optional (to allow solar gain in winter but prevent it and glare in summer).

We've tested out a shade sail, attached to the house, which was OK but a bit of hassle to put up/down. It also didn't quite block out the sun in the middle part of the doors as the fabric is pulled in all directions.

As you see above, we've trialled out a cantilevered parasol, which was pretty decent but didn't look good right up against the wall and has to be pretty big to cover the 3.5m bifolds fully. The one above is only 3m.

Lean to pergolas with retractable awnings sounds like a good option but we're not sure how that will look against a single storey extension with a sloped roof. Can't see any examples on the net. Also having that one post in the way...

Any stylish ideas for the shading and patio area would be most appreciated!

Comments (18)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.