webuser_3873594

Krion

Jane Doe
10 years ago
Is Krion really a good kitchen countertop? I installed a white Corian counter in my bath years ago and hated it. I installed a Silastone counter in my last kitchen and loved it.

So my question is, is Krion better than Corian and will compete well against engineered quartz counters? I am planning on ordering Porcelanosa cabinets for my kitchen and the designer is pushing the Krion counters since it is a Porcelanosa product.

Any help and ideas would be greatly appreciated.
KRION Kitckens Worktop · More Info

Comments (20)

• HausHomeMaison
    10 years ago
    Hi Michele -
    Curious why you hated Corian countertops so much? Would love some insights.
    Thanks
  • Jane Doe
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I had installed a pure white Corian countertop in my last bathroom and I did not like it. It seemed to show all dirt and even splashmarks. Plus it was quite dull. In my new place I did go forward and install Krion on my kitchen countertop. So far it is working out well. It also is white but it has sparkles so it has more of a luster shine. It does not show the dirt and watermarks like the Corian counter did. However, I still miss my engineered countertop and I think if I'd do it again, I would go for Silestone.
  • anniehier
    9 years ago
    I am buying a porcelanosa kitchen and like the look of the white Krion counter and sink. Why would you chose Silestone next time? Do you like the sink, would you chose a stainless steel sink instead?
  • Kristen Hicks
    9 years ago
    I Love this product. We are remodeling apartments in Los Angeles. Tenants can be pretty abusive. Will Krion hold up- and if damaged can we repair?
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    Krion is a solid surface material. Solid surface countertops include Corian, HiMacs, staron, Krion and others. Silestone is a quartz countertop. Quartz countertops include Silestone, Cambria, Zodiaq, Viatera and others.

Quartz is more risistant to scratches than solid surface. However solid surface can be refinished much easier and if ever damaged it can be repaired.

Both materials have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Both are nonporous and great materials for bathroom vanities.
  • aecdgs
    9 years ago

I am curious how your Krion countertops/sink are holding up at this point? We are considering it for a bathroom vanity/sink. We also had corian countertops in our kitchen when we moved in, and I hated them, so I am nervous to go with Krion...

• rlax52
    8 years ago

I really like the look of the Krion, and was considering it, but looking at the floor models at the Porcelanosa showroom, you can see that it scratches really easily. They say that it can be repaired simply, but I don't want to have to worry about scratches like that.

Curious though to hear about the experiences of anybody that has Krion countertops installed.

• HausHomeMaison
    8 years ago
    We had Krion installed in bath and entire shower pan was Krion. Far superior to Corian and very easy to sand out any scratches should they occur. The matte finish hides anything far more than Corian. But realistically we had Corian in our kitchen - bright white and it was awesome as well. It's impossible to not have scratches or etching even on stone. It adds character ;)
  • Silvia BM
    7 years ago

Hi everyone! We're about to buy a miton kitchen and we doubt wheather we should have a krion or corian countertop installed. The architect who's assembling the kitchen said that the difference in price -for the size we need krion is about 850€ more expensive than corian- is not worthed paying as they both have same characteristics and perfomrances - both resotrable etc. I'd really appreciate if you could share detailed experiences as the one here above to compare the two materials. I wouldn't mind paying more for krion if really worthed! Thank you in advance for your help.

• Silvia BM
    7 years ago

Sorry for the typos..

• rlax52
    7 years ago

Personally, I think that Krion looks much nicer than Corian, but I decided not to install it because of its susceptibility to scratches. If I were you I would go to a Porcelanosa showroom to take a look at it, and ask them to demonstrate how to remove actual scratches from the floor sample, and see if you would be satisfied with it. If you are in Europe, you might have access to something called Ceramiche Florim, which I thought was quite nice and which I thought I might choose next time. For this project, I wound up with Caesarstone, and I am generally happy with everything except for the cost.

• Silvia BM
    7 years ago

Thank you for your comment. I did have a look at a real krion countertop. I'm not really worried about scratches, I'm much more concerned about the colour. I'm afraid that krion or corian might be porous, hence it would be more difficult to take stains, watermarks etc. out of the surface. I mean, how and how often do you clean this kind of surfaces? I'd intend to clean whipe it out everytime needed and have the weekly cleaning / normal mainteinance only let's say once a year. I'm afraid its bright white's going to turn into a yellowish surface where we most use it and/or the sink. Any experiences as to changing in colour? Thank you

• HausHomeMaison
    7 years ago
    No experiences in color changes. Cleaned with basic soapy water and some waste vinegar and was great. One leaning lady left a wet cast iron pan sitting on the counter. It left a rust ring. I panicked by then used some Lysol with bleach cleaner and came right out. It was amazing, every stain has come out since then. It's pretty incredible.
  • vailnicholls
    7 years ago

I am trying to decide whether to use Krion vs. Corian. I had Corian counters in my last kitchen and I liked it, but over time the finish became dull. I want a low maintenance counter that continues to look like the showroom counters. Does Silestone keep it's luster over time?

• PRO
    Sussex Tile and Stone Ltd kitchens and bathrooms
    6 years ago

krion snow white is a lot purer and brighter than the corian white and is very good to scratches its also more hygienic than any other work surfaces.

iv been fabricating it for a long time now and have found it to be one of the best surfaces iv worked with iv found corian to be a lot softer than korian

KRION™ does not allow bacteria or fungi to grow or spread.
    This is an intrinsic property of the composition of the material,
    without the need for additives to achieve this permanent effect.
    This makes it an ideal material for locations with demanding
    hygiene and sanitation requirements, such as operating
    theaters or clean rooms

• littleboxesonthehillside
    6 years ago

I'm wondering about the impact of hair dye on a Krion shower tray. Can anyone speak to this?

• PRO
    Sussex Tile and Stone Ltd kitchens and bathrooms
    6 years ago

krion can not stain

iv worked with it for over 2 years and and not had any problems with krion

KRION® Solid Surface

KRION® is a next generation solid surface developed by Systempool, a PORCELANOSA Group company. It is a highly pleasant material, similar to natural stone. The composition of KRION® consists of two-thirds natural minerals combined with a low percentage of high resistance resins which provide its unique characteristics: an absence of pores, anti-bacterial, hard wearing, resistant, durable, easy to repair, low maintenance and easy to clean.

It is processed in a similar way to wood and can be cut into sheets, joined and thermoformed to make curved elements, etc. This solid surface is even possible to use in an injection moulding production process to create different designs and projects that would be impossible to create using other materials.

Its warm surface is pleasant to touch and can withstand attacks by concentrated acids, is highly resistant to all types of stains and is unaffected by chemical products, including solvents.

Its lack of pores and proven resistance to adverse weather conditions also make it suitable for outdoor use. It can be used to create spectacular new coverings for buildings, such as the façade of the new Bershka building in Calle Preciados in Madrid.

Furthermore, its resistance to heat and fireproof properties mean that this solid surface can be in contact with any heat source without being damaged.

Its use in the food industry is certified by standard UNE-EN ISO 1186. KRION® is a hypoallergenic, antibacterial material that is also additive-free, in comparison with other materials that achieve these properties through a combination of biocides to which bacteria can become immune over time; this does not happen in surfaces made from KRION® Solid Surface. For this reason, it is also suitable for use in medical centres, and is recommended for medical clinics, hospital wards, treatment rooms and even operating theatres, the latter requiring extremely hygienic conditions.

KRION® presents designers with a wide range of options due to its extensive range of finishes, with a wide range of colours including a pure white, and offers great possibilities in terms of design.

With the solid surface developed by Systempool, complex shapes of any type can easily be made. Its malleability and the fact it is easy to shape allows designers to give form to their imaginative ideas. Curved, squared and spiral elements or infinite shapes with imperceptible joins: any imaginable structure can be made.

Furthermore, KRION® is unaffected by the passage of time. In the event of breakage, repairs can be made on-site with a simple kit that restores the part to its original condition, with no trace of any join.

KRION® Solid Surface can be die-cut, expanding its possibilities yet further. It can be used to make decorative or geometric shapes to create changing rooms, bed headboards, hotel corridors, etc.

Its unique properties mean that this material can also be backlit, with a degree of translucency chosen by the designer, to create suggestive atmospheres and spectacular shapes.

Furthermore, KRION® is manufactured under ecological conditions that do not emit volatile compounds. It complies with environmental guidelines in terms of durability and is fully recyclable.

• HU-859462362
    5 years ago

Krion, is an anti bacter material, nothing can grow on it, it also purifies the air, it has a great resista to chemicals which in turn keeps the pro white

The light provides mult properties so it does not alter its shape or colour.

Hope this helps u all x

• Michelle Zuzik
    5 years ago

We've had a Krion sink for 2 1/2 years and a Krion countertop for 1 year. Both in Snow White. I love the translucence-ness of it. Both still look brand new after a ton of abuse from two little boys. One even wrote all over the counter with a sharpie and it came right off with Clorox wipes and a little elbow grease.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.