sanahsmile

Render or Brick Slips on Edwardian property?

sanahsmile
5 years ago

Residential Edwardian property built in 1912 originally had pebble dashing on the first floor elevation front side and back, the ground floor was painted.

Currently all pebble dashed has been removed from the first floor elevation and two chimneys and all paint has been stripped back to reveal original bricks.

behind the the pebble dash on the first floor, the bricks are not the same as the ground floor, the bricks used on the first floor, were cheaper and never designed to be exposed hence why pebble dash was applied.

I would like expert advice on the use of brick slips as a suitable facade/option for my property.

A) If they can be applied directly on the existing bricks of the first floor (as seen on the picture)

b) should I consider doing a render first with a mesh to form a scratch as well as a strength coat before applying the slips?

c) From an architectural and structural perspective are brick slips even an option for my project and type of property, and what steps I need to take before installation to ensure I don't encounter issues such as damp.

d) how long do brick slips actually last? I am looking for a permanent option are brick slips durable is rendering a more sensible option

or should I just stick to a rendering the house?

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.