tuliparose

Attractive shrubs to screen fence

Rachel Smith
5 years ago

We're not 'gardeners'! We have a reasonably large, plain, square lawned garden. The fence on the left hand side is ours and we replaced it a couple of years ago. The fence on the right is the neighbour's and is in a state of disrepair - every time a panel blows down he replaces it with a new panel, which creates an untidy effect of old and new panels in over-height, not-very straight concrete posts.

We're looking for suggestions of attractive, low maintenance bushes, shrubs or flowering grasses which we could plant in front of the fence, both to screen it and, eventually, grow slightly higher to give a little more privacy. We probably wouldn't plant the whole lot at once - but we'd like a plan so we can plant gradually and end up with what looks like a planned arrangement rather than random planting!

The garden is slightly sloping towards this fence and towards the bottom corner and the ground is very heavy clay - gets very waterlogged in wet weather. The whole grassed area gets almost full sun, most of the year. The fence is approximately 30m long.

The only other question is that currently there is a wire around the lawn for the Robomow which will obviously have to be moved. Approximately how much further in from the fence should we move it to give a reasonable border to accommodate shrubs?

We'd be very grateful for suggestions.

Comments (13)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.