webuser_477640226

Advice on Living Room Lay-out

HU-477640226
5 years ago

Hi all! Very new to this whole house decorating thing (as you can probably tell from these photos!)

I have a real dilemma that I just can't decide on so was hoping to get some advice. As you can see we've had some lovely alcove shelving and cabinets fitted in our new flat. Now, the original plan with this was to have the TV slot neatly on top of the right-hand cabinet (we would have removed the bottom shelf on this side to fit it in). We would have then fitted a fireplace (alas purely decorative as we are a ground-floor flat) against the chimney breast and above it a circular mirror.

However, we then inherited a 45 inch TV, which my partner is IN LOVE with! It's simply too big and heavy to fit on that right-hand cabinet (even if it was put on an arm!) and he prefers it in the centre, against the chimney breast. This leaves me with a dilemma about how to enjoy the TV without it dominating the room! I know of course it always will to an extent because it is so big but I've had a few ideas below about how to make it a bit more conspicuous...

1) Leave the arrangement as it is in the photos and place a circular mirror above it to fill up the large space above.

2)Mount the TV on the chimney breast and put a fake fireplace below it? (I've heard lots of things online saying that this is not a good idea but I just don't know how to fill the space and detract from the TV dominating the room otherwise!)

3) Leave it as it is but get a new TV cabinet to put the TV on (I think one of the reasons it stands out so much is that the TV cabinet it is on top of is slightly mismatched to it?) Perhaps if I got a more purpose-built TV stand it might be a bit more conspicuous. I could then put a mirror above it as with the first option!

Anyway these are just some ideas but I was hoping that some of you might have some/let me know what you think of the solutions I've outlined? Thank you very much in advance!

Comments (10)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.