swr_installations

Garage Doors - What to go for...

SWR Group
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We would love to know which of these garage doors will prove most popular here on Houzz, so please vote for your favourite!

If you find yourself looking for a new garage door, nowadays it's a hard task getting your head around all the different types and all the information you need to make an informed decision. We hope the following information will help you with this. :)

Up & Over Garage Doors

A very recognisable door style, this safe and reliable solution does exactly what it suggests; it moves in one piece up and over into the garage opening. Up & overs offer excellent value for money, without compromising on quality, making them vastly popular. Generally, these doors are cheaper due to the simplicity, and they come in a huge choice of designs, colours and materials (timber). They also provide weatherproofing.

Sectional Garage Doors

Made up of separate sections rather than a single panel; these doors rise vertically with no loss of driveway space in front of the garage, and provide full drive through width, perfect for wider vehicles that need that bit of extra room. Perfect for automation, they offer more space saving than Up & Overs. These doors offer fantastic security and insulation, and come in a variety of finishes, styles and designs - ribbed and paneled.

Side Hinged Garage Doors

Opening like traditional doors, Side Hinged Doors are perfect for garages that require regular pedestrian access. They offer a stylish, traditional appearance with good insulation and easy operation. These doors provide extra space inside the garage and are a great solution for garages where access to wall space or utility boxes is required near the door entrance. Available in steel and timber door styles.

Roller Shutter Garage Doors

They open vertically, but rather than going back into the space like Up & Over or Sectionals, these doors curl up into a roll, tucked away conveniently above the opening. Well suited for garages with limited headroom, without sacrificing security and insulation. Roller Shutters are very diverse as they can be fitted inside, in between and outside the opening of your garage. Available in a range of colours and timber effects, and suited to automation or manual operation.

Side Sliding Garage Doors

The ideal solution for special fitting situations. Opening to the side instead of upwards like the previous doors, acting like a cross between a sectional and a roller, sliding off to one side along an inside wall. This is especially advantageous is the ceiling has to remain free for storage. Side Sliding Doors are perfect for easy pedestrian access and partial opening, and require very little headroom.

Up & Over
Sectional
Side Hinged
Roller Shutter
Side Sliding

Comment (1)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.