wgt123

Questions for those in the middle of buiding work/ extension etc

kwg kwg
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello all,

I know this is not really a design dilemma but just wondering how everyone else's building work is going with their chosen builder?

I had a loft conversion completed earlier this year and now in the middle of an extension with the same company. Everytime I come back from work, I notice that something has not been done up to standard. When I raise the issues, the company does rectify it promptly but I feel like I'm constantly double checking the work. Does anyone else have this issue?

I don't think I'm being fussy and I'm not going round looking for faults but when I come home to have a look what has been done, some things are obvious e.g.

Velux windows in loft - 2 installed but one was higher than the other ( obviously this was resolved and it hasn't been left like that ).

Holes cut out for electrical cables in the plasterboard in the extension pitched roof, all wonky and not in line. They have come back a second time but still got it wrong and have to come back again. This means more 'holes' have to be cut out in the insulation so I've asked for them to be replaced.

Dot and dab walls in extension, one side has thicker adhesive than the other and comes off the block walls by 3cm on one side and on the other side 5cm. This may not seem like a big issue but I'm planning to have vertical radiators at the side of the opening of the sliding doors and space is tight so need all cm I can get.

Dot and dab wall not plumb.

When my shared chimney stack with neighbour was removed during the loft conversion - they built a new parapet wall but did not brick up wall to meet the parapet wall, instead it was just covered over with a fascia board. Was resolved in the end.

These are just few issues, there were more but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

I'm getting tired of checking everything but I feel like have to as it's my house, I'm going to be here a long time and I just want a good job done - big sigh!

Comments (3)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.