chris_ward56

Living Room ideas wanted

Chris
5 years ago

Hi,

A fairly clueless single male here, so I'm looking for other sources of inspiration. I'm almost ready to decorate the living room, but left to my own devices, this would come to little more than redo the walls, new carpet & juggle the furniture until it 'fits'.

I'd like to do something more for a change, something that makes it feel like it's mine, if that makes sense.

So far the only item in the living room that will definitely be staying is the fireplace, a modern black granite one, similar to the image.

I've added a crude floor plan, borrowed and adapted, so not to scale. The window faces west, so plenty of mid to late afternoon sunshine. In the bottom corner (G & E) the gas & electric meters are in a small floor standing unit. I plan to buy or build a new small unit to house them, but it does slightly restrict what can stand in the corner. (only insomuch as it has to be allow access to the meters, or be movable enough). R on the right hand side is a radiator.

The door to the hall/kitchen is at the top right of the plan. It currently opens into the living room (hinged against the right wall).

Two items likely to remain, though 'up for negotiation', are my computer desk & TV. I probably spend more time in front of the computer than not, when I'm in the living room. It's all in/on/under a small desk (1200mmx600mm, 4'x2'). The TV doesn't get used much. It is too big for the room (51"), but it's a 'luxury' I enjoy, and as I'm the only critic, not a problem. It's on a glass stand that I also quite like. The TV & stand footprint is about the same as the desk - 4'x2'.

My thoughts so far are limited. I've considered replacing the porch/vestibule, but would only want a similar sized entrance which limits ideas. I did see an image of a rectangular shaped vestibule which I quite liked, but the door to the living room was at a right angle to the front door, so not really practicable.

I currently have a wide 3 seater settee (& an armchair), but I think a 2 seater would fit better, so will probably be looking for a new one when I decorate.

For flooring I still lean toward carpet, although I have been looking at some laminate, and vinyl floor coverings. (not likely to affect design, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

I'll also be sharing the room with a couple of cats, so I expect there will be at least one piece of furniture in the room for them, a 'cat tree', but these are fairly portable so could go anywhere.

If the small essay hasn't deterred, would anyone like to offer any suggestions on furniture/layout? I don't even have any firm styles in mind, although I would say a cross of contemporary & traditional.

Comments (26)

• E D
    5 years ago

Hi Chris. Although you're describing things very well, there's nothing quite like photos of the room/space and its contents.

They will help to help you. :)

Chris thanked E D
  • A B
    5 years ago
    Is this the first room you’re redecorating or the only/last one. I’d think about the whole of the downstairs in terms of flooring and flow first. Next I’d start an ideas book and decide on sofas and window dressings based on the sort of look I was going for.

A photo of the space would definitely help too
    Chris thanked A B
  • Related Discussions

Help cleanable small living room ideas, suited for children with autis

Q

Comments (3220)
    Hey everyone! Good to hear from you all again. We have 2 wks before we go back to school. It's been a busy summer but good. My boy (14) is in marching band and they've been practicing all summer for the fall football games. He is worn out. My girl has been playing with friends and is doing a bit of a room redo herself (she is 10). Nice to see you all are well. We took a weekend a bit ago to Chincoteague VA and it was great! Hopping over to visit the corridor thread now.
    ...See More

Ideas for my sad looking living room.

Q

Comments (32)
    Start by taking out everything you don't want/need Paint your walls white to start with as this will give the room a fresh new feel, you can always change this if you want but you can't go wrong with white. Dulux pure brilliant white is a good choice so you don't get confused with the cold/warm undertones. Change the largest sofa for something smaller, I don't mind the other one as it is a modern style but if it is worn and you feel you need to change then now is the best time. Wool fabric is a great hard wearing choice and is easy to clean. I have children and have had mid charcoal wool fabric sofas for 4 years and they are perfect! Don't forget that your sofa is an investment so put your money into this as décor can be changed a lot cheaper! Paint the fire surround colour to a charcoal to make it stand out and also link in with the sofas NOW.... is the fun part! I'd concentrate on the red curtains and find some art work or wallpaper or a rug or cushion that you REALLY love with red in and possibly some other bright colours. Be creative & bold! I would consider changing the green curtains but by this stage you'll have a better feel of the room and where it is heading and how you want the room to look from here. If you are worried about the cost of curtains, I'd look at IKEA as you can get some lovely cheap curtains from there. Once you've got to this stage, I'd post some before pics and after pics for us on Houzz and ask for further advice on decorating as you would have a blank slate and something that you LOVE that you can work with on the colours to bring in touches of texture and warmth and comfort from there. Good Luck!
    ...See More

I want to manage my top floor as kitchen, dining room living room.

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Subedi, May I ask what exactly is your project? The picture is for the existing plans, right? So at the moment there is only bedrooms and bathroom. When you say manage the top floor as kitchen, dining and living room do you mean that you are planning to change the top floor entirely? Enjoy your day, Schmidt Dorking Team
    ...See More

Is changing my living room into a kitchen/ dining room a good idea?

Q

Comments (1)
    It’s not a big house and I suspect that if you try to increase the number of rental bedrooms you only invite the student market which may not be your intention. You need to make the decision on your local market- I suspect your research will tell you that either no change will increase the rental potential enough to justify the cost. Or you might conclude two bedrooms with a bathroom each is great for sharing professionals
    ...See More
  • Chris
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for responding. I guess I was hoping descriptions would suffice, not being that keen on showing off the mess to the world. Plus I'm not the world's greatest photographer, but hopefully these will help you see what you're up against.

To Jen P, this is the penultimate room of round one. All other rooms have been decorated except the hall/stairs/landing that I intend to get done at the same time. It's only a small terraced house so the stairs & landing don't count for much. There's no direct natural light on the stairs or landing so all I intend to do there is paint the walls in a yet to be decided light colour in the hope of making it less gloomy, and carpet the floor. I am of course always open to suggestions.

Returning to the living room, I should probably mention that the room is over 8'6" (2.6m) high, in case that alters thinking.

If it all works, the first 4 images show the chimney breast side, one of the TV in case opinion says it should go! The side with the radiator (the shelves were just a quick idea for a climbing area for the cats, not much used any more, and easily removed) almost entirely 'owned' by the cats for now. Lastly the door & window side.

The dado rail will be going. Some of it already has.

Part of my consideration around the settee & it's position can possibly be seen in the photo here. If I place it toward the wall, then in the winter it will make the radiator less effective. It also makes a good obstacle for carrying stuff through the house. Moving it forward enough to allow a passage behind makes the room seem a lot smaller. Possibly the depth of a new sofa (this one is 1m deep) can improve the layout too.

• A B
    5 years ago
    Do you have a pic of your kitchen or some inspiration images for your living room too? Something to show what sort of style you’re going for
    Chris thanked A B
  • Jenny Atkinson
    5 years ago

Hi looks like you have space there for maybe 2 smaller sofas, and maybe a rug on wood/laminate flooring, then you get the best of both worlds? Design wise, if you want it to be easy then pale colour walls with maybe one wall as an accent wall painted a different colour, maybe the fireplace wall? Those recesses either side of the fire

, Iv attached a couple of pictures where people have made shelving with cupboards underneath to hide your stuff, also one side could even be the computer desk.

Chris thanked Jenny Atkinson
  • A B
    5 years ago
    I wonder if you went for a dark colour like Railings on the fireplace wall (check it works with the fireplace). Then you could have all your media on that wall and it would be minimised. I’d attach your huge tv above the fire. I’d go for s much paler grey on the other 3 walls.

I’d have s proper built in cupboard and shelves on the left of the fire.

With your sofa I’d be tempted to replace it with one large chesterfield and a couple of arm chairs. Add a coffee table. I’d personally put a throw on an armchair for the cats, and put the cats tower in a spare bedroom.
    Chris thanked A B
  • rachelmidlands
    5 years ago
    Hi Chris, I’ve been pondering over your dilemma as I have the similar issues with regards to big Tv, computer station and cat. My hubby loves technology so I always have trouble trying to make them work within the confines of a room. I have one issue with your requirements, I think your tv stand is not wide enough. Ideally tv stand should be wider than the tv otherwise it looks unbalanced. The other problem is the seating arrangement, as you say, if you pushed the sofa towards centre of room it would look cramped. I think a two seater in front of the window and one of those relaxer chairs in the centre might work well tho. Pouffe or ottoman in front of the fire to put feet up on. Computers and tv can stay in the same position as I think this works best but modular furniture that fits to make it look as one. And as Jen P said dark walls will help blend the black screens to the back ground. Hope you don’t mind but I did a little mock up of what I was thinking which I’ll show in next comment. Here’s some ideas with modular furniture (click pics to enlarge).
    Chris thanked rachelmidlands
  • rachelmidlands
    5 years ago
    And here’s my mock-up. I’ve also put in a radiator cover although you could just have a shelf. And some shelves with a scratching post between them because I know cats love to climb up and lord it over everyone:)
  • Chris
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Thanks again for the comments, and especially to Rachel for the mock-ups. I don't mind at all, in fact I'd be happy for as many as you'd like to offer. I've since done a little online searching for some simple room planning software, either an online tool or something I can download. I would welcome any recommendations. I haven't yet discovered one that even allows me to draw the outline with doors & windows.

Jen P - A photo of the kitchen certainly wouldn't provide inspiration. To me it's little more than the room I use to prepare the food. But as I'm getting into this, there's no harm having another pic there in case anyone wants to throw ideas about for some possible future projects.

Sorry if it makes your eyes go funny. I was going to place two pics next to each other, and then decided this doesn't look too bad, just for getting an idea of the room.

As for inspiration, it was completely lacking, although I've started a little more research, so I'll add a pic or two further down.

And your suggestion about the seating, nice idea though it is, I think the room is far too small. I'm doubtful whether two small sofas would fit well.

I'll certainly give some thought to having a darker wall. It would be similar to the way it is now with the one wall papered red, contrasting the other three.

A little more on Rachel's mock-up.

I hadn't thought much about the style of any new furniture, but I do quite like some of the ideas there, using a modular style.

You show the TV mounted on the wall. I don't know if that's intentional, or just the only way the software would display it, but in that location I'd be opting to have it freestanding, just because I can then easily pivot the screen to avoid the reflection that this TV suffers from. Another reason perhaps to consider a newer model.

I also agree with your seating idea, insomuch as the one 2 seater, and a single chair of some sort. It does appear to be the most practical option.

During my pondering over the last few days I did think over a couple of other ideas. The first was whether I could have a corner sofa of some kind, but decided there's no way it would fit, and even if I could it would be too restrictive on any future remodelling.

The other, which I haven't yet completely dismissed, would be to have my 'computer workstation' set in the small alcove near the window. It would create a few problems to overcome. The first is the width, 200mm less that my current setup, but having experimented for the last few days with one of the monitors at about a 60 degree angle, I've got used to it, and could quite happily keep it that way. The next problem would be legroom, as sometimes I'll stretch my legs out when I'm sat down, so would need to either open the cupboard doors while I'm sat there, or find another solution.

The positive side of putting the computer there is that it's generally a dark corner of the room anyway, so would be much less noticeable when not in use, especially if I do make the wall behind it darker.

That would of course leave the large alcove empty, and wanting ideas.

Two other queries while I'm asking, both loosely connected. Does anyone have any views on skirting boards, or the lack of them? I rarely manage to hide much wiring with them, and hope to do away with some of the exposed wiring anyway, either burying it in a channel in the wall, or using home plugs to do away with it. Instead of a traditional skirting board I wondered if some Scotia trim on its own would be okay? Lastly for now, any thoughts on the height of electrical sockets? I'll be having a few more added, and while most of mine are quite low, I think they tend to be set higher these days. I think that would just make them more obtrusive, so wonder what benefits there are to the higher ones.

A few sofa images, courtesy of Harveys, hopefully shows the type of style I prefer, at least on first glance. Compared to the other furniture where I'm happy with a squarer 'block' appearance, most of the sofas I picked out have a much softer look. I haven't thought about any single seat options yet.

• Dundrum 16
    5 years ago
    Have just developed a time saving hack for people who don't have time to read all the comments:

90% of the answers suggest grey
    90% of these suggest F&B
  • rachelmidlands
    5 years ago
    @Dundrum 16, ha ha ha, too true;-) @Chris, I used an app called Room planner from chief architect software, it’s not the best but simple and gives you a general idea. If you’re using desktop then floorplanner.com might be a good place to start. I like the squishy sofas, very comfy:) as for skirting and plug sockets I’ve no idea but I think there’s some rule if installing new sockets that they have to be at a certain height. Been having a look at armchairs. How about a swivel reclining one. Some examples below. I love a design classic so I’ve included the the eames chair and who wouldn’t want the James Bond villain classic, G-plan 6250 if memory serves.
  • Carolina
    5 years ago
    Hi, I’ve been reading your dilemma and the comments yesterday. Think that Rachel’s idea is spot on. And I’ve just been to IKEA and saw this, which somehow reminded me of your room, not terribly large space, small sofa and chair. I would say that a bulky looking furniture, like the sofas you showed, aren’t ideal for smaller rooms. A sofa on legs makes the room feel larger, because you can see the floor under it. Same goes for the chair. But hey... comfort is important too.
    Chris thanked Carolina
  • Chris
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Rachel. Floorplanner looks like the ideal program for me. Luckily I have a couple of long weekends coming up, so will hopefully master the software. It may only be basic, but to get an idea of layout that's all I want.

The swivel chair doesn't appeal to me. It has too much of an office feel for my liking. I'll certainly try one out if the opportunity arises though. I don't think the cats would mind, but they don't care anyway, just as long as I'm sitting.

@Jen P - I hadn't considered painting the kitchen, well not since last time. The intention has always been to make one full circuit of decorating the house before I start again. That's not to say I wouldn't. I didn't do much with the kitchen, other than clean it up and a quick coat of paint. I would never have considered grey though, as I think of it as quite a drab colour. Maybe I should get a few samples to try out. There are a couple of small patches where the plaster has cracked. It would be a good excuse to repair and repaint.

@Carolina - I'll have to take a trip to Ikea when I have a quiet weekend. It should be quite inspiring. The nearest one is only about 30 minutes drive away, close enough that I can just 'nip there' whenever I feel like it.

The chair legs & space aren't an issue for me. The room is quite big enough for my existing 3 seater sofa & armchair, I just don't feel I could comfortably fit two 2 seaters, but that's not a problem since none of them get much use except by the cats. I did actually pick out a few with longer legs when I was looking for style ideas, but didn't want to post about 20 pics! Here's one of the others.

• A B
    5 years ago
    Sorry Chris I was only joking about painting your kitchen. It looks absolutely fine as it is, and painting units is a huge job. Good luck with the living room project :)
    Chris thanked A B
  • Chris
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I guess I haven't been around long enough to pick up on the Houzz sense of humour. I did even start looking for some images here of grey kitchens to see how they looked. Strictly walls only for me. I've no intention of painting the cupboards. I did try it once in one small discreet place, but didn't like the result.

I have at least managed to create a much better scaled outline of the room, so now I can start a little experimenting.

• Carolina
    5 years ago

I use Floorplanner too. Made this layout, used the dimensions of this sofa

https://www.harveysfurniture.co.uk/chigwell-compact-sofa/#/chigwell-compact-sofa/details/30043-30218/

And I did change the vestibule. Click on the pics to enlarge

Chris thanked Carolina
  • Chris
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks to all those persevering with me, or even just stopping by to see what's happening. I should probably confess that I don't intend to start anything until the New Year, except maybe some wallpaper stripping during the Christmas holiday, so that still leaves me 4 full months to 'perfect' any ideas that come my way.

I'm also finding Floorplanner a little addictive. Far more entertaining for me than any of these premium computer games. If only enthusiasm and creativity came in equal measures.

Thank you for those layout images Carolina. They have helped a little, if negatively. Seeing the vestibule size & shape, along with the way it changes the living room make me inclined to leave it as it currently is. Not only smaller, but it has, at least to me, a better look & feel.

Another thought I had is that I'm unlikely to put any shelving in the larger alcove. I don't really have anything I could use shelves that size for. The small alcove would be ideal for some books & DVDs, but for the few I still have it would be enough. Plants wouldn't be an option either as the corner doesn't really get enough natural light.

I'm still toying with the idea of having my computer desk in the smaller alcove. the main problem here is the gas & electric meters in the cupboard below. So far I'm working on two possible solutions, but if anyone has any thoughts on how, or even if I should do it, feel free to share them.

My first idea was to have a desk (style to be decided) with the monitors on. I could have a pull out shelf underneath for the keyboard, similar to the one I have now. The meters would be housed in a small cupboard, though not much smaller than the current one, with the computer accessories on top of it.

The second idea, which started from the earlier suggestion from Jenny, would be to just have a larger cupboard hiding most of it when not in use, and I just open the cupboard doors when using it.

The second option is much better for legroom as, apart from the meters, there's plenty of space between them.

• Carolina
    5 years ago

Looks good to me. It really does help to see it visualised like that, doesn't it :-)

Chris thanked Carolina
  • Karen Davis
    5 years ago

Very quickly before I lose battery, loving this thread and will have similar design dilemmas. Floor planner, which version are you all using free or paying for different variations.

Chris thanked Karen Davis
  • Carolina
    5 years ago

Hi Karen, floorplanner is free up to a point. But you can do lots of different versions before you reach that point. I use it on the computer though. Not sure how it works on an ipad or similar device.

Chris thanked Carolina
  • Chris
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Good to know I may be indirectly helping someone else Karen. I'm using the free version too. I think it's quite adequate for my limited requirements, and I'm still finding extra uses. I'm only focusing on a single room, and keep thinking 'what if...'. Instead of moving everything, then moving it back afterwards, I just copy the room to create another floor, and use that to experiment on.

Some of the instructions are hard to find, at least up to date ones. I found a PDF guide, but I think it's for the paid version. I read somewhere that you can add your own images for window views, but if it's there, I've not found it. I was hoping there would be a way to add your own 'furniture' too, as although there's a very good selection, it would be fun to build a realistic image with my fireplace, clock, TV etc.

I've also started taking screenshots instead of using their image export option, as it gives a much bigger image to look at. The only drawback is that some of the items are not rendered as well. The clock for instance is black in normal 3d mode, but displays correctly in exported files. I'll put a couple of examples at the end.

I decided to take my idea inspiring trip to Ikea today, but have to say it was a big disappointment. I was hoping for wooden furniture, but most of it was plastic, or at least looked like it. Even the furniture I saw clearly labelled 'wooden' still didn't look like it to me.

It has made me contemplate a bespoke unit to fit in the corner. It would mean I'd have a much wider choice of finishes, and could tailor everything to my requirements. The only downside is is that the edges would all have a square finish, so no patterned or soft, rounded lines. Most of the examples I've looked at are like that anyway, and I've already got at least three items like it, so I know I'm happy with it.

• A B
    5 years ago
    I’m enjoying the updates! Please post the finished room when you’re done
    Chris thanked A B
  • Chris
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Jen P, You did see my previous post? You'll have to wait until next year. ;)

• PRO
    Cormar Carpets
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

As a key room in your home, it’s critical that a living room is comfortable and stylish. Be sure to consider wall and flooring colour choices, furniture, furnishings and even accessories to create a space which you can truly relax in. As champions of carpet, here’s our top five reasons why you should have it in the home: it’s warm, easy to clean, quieter, good for allergies and more choice – it’s super versatile. Fancy a more rustic look, opt for a textured loop pile. Want a deep snuggly pile, seek the super soft lustrous carpets out. And when it comes to colour, you can choose to play it safe with neutrals and cool greys or be bold with dark statement inky blues or even stripes! Any style you want to achieve can be done with carpet. Here’s some design inspiration: https://www.cormarcarpets.co.uk/inspiration-categories/lounge-carpets/

Apollo Plus · More Info

Soft Focus Heathers · More Info

Sensation Supreme · More Info

• PRO
    Lomuarredi Ltd
    5 years ago

Hello Chris! Given the limited space available, I recommend this compact furniture system in which the spaces are used 100%, with the insertion of a two seats sofa that can also be transformed into a bed. Please let me know if it could be of your interest.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.