catcm127

Seeking help with making the downstairs more open plan

catcm127
5 years ago

Hiya I am currently looking at some design ideas to help make our downstairs more open plan (semi-detached).

There seems to be a number of possibilities as far as I can tell, but I am not a DIY person and so I might be missing something obvious. I should also probably say that regardless of whether we make any other changes, we would like to put a conservatory/extension at some point (approximately 5m x 3m; this should be ok as have 19m long garden)

Option 1: Change the location of the downstairs toilet as it is in the way between the kitchen and the living space. But where can this go? Removing it completely is out of the question because of little children. If the toilet is no longer in the way I can open the kitchen into the living space and even have some potential to make it a bit bigger.

Option 2: Put a kitchen extension onto the living/diner (is 5m x3m large enough?) and leave the downstairs toilet as is. Kitchen can then be a snug/hobby room/ bedroom? I understand this is probably a lot more costly - and that's ok we aren't in a huge rush.

Which option is more likely to add value to the house? (not planning to move at all, but just wondering) .

Are there any other options as to how I can make the house more open plan? I should say we love hosting and we do often, but I end up cooking on my own while everyone is in the living room, hence why I want an open plan.

Thank you in advance! :)

Also attaching a plan of the house at present

Comments (9)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.