cazsf

Lounge / snug inspiration!

cazSF
5 years ago
Good morning, Houzzers! We are getting so close... floors are down, the kitchen is in and awaiting a few connections (will be asking for your help to pick a backsplash soon), but today my mind is on the front room room.

This room is intended to be the more formal, old school living room. The dining chairs will move to the new kitchen-diner extension, and the cow hide might move to the TV room in the middle of the open plan space (the old dining room in our 1930s semi). In due course, the bay window area will be occupied by a mahogany baby grand piano. It is a north-north-east facing room - you can see it gets a lot of morning sunshine.

Our new sofa arrived this morning, so it’s time to start figuring out the rest of the room - paint, side tables or coffee table, other seating and suitable freestanding furniture for the alcoves. And window dressing!

Paint - keep it pale and interesting or go for the inky Blue I’d always dreamed of? We have a piece of art for above that sofa that has a heavy gold coloured frame that I think would pop against Blue!

Side tables - since it’s not the biggest room in the world (we have about 2100mm between the front of the sofa and the edge of the hearth, and another 750 from the edge of the hearth to the back of the alcoves), AND we have our first baby on the way, I was considering foregoing my dream of a wheatsheaf coffee table for two side tables instead. The challenge is that we only have about 330 at each end of the sofa - any ideas? Ideally, we’d retain some space behind these to put two swing arm reading lamps to ‘frame’ the picture on that wall, since it might look at bit lost otherwise.

Other seating - a pair of ‘neat’ armchairs with a bit of flair, in a tweed or velvet fabric that can withstand being fireside. And I don’t want to overdo the leather! The challenge is the style - no space for overbearing wingbacks, here, despite my husband’s aspirations! How to bring a classic, old school shape without completely filling the space? Should they go either side of the fire or either side of the entrance to the room (an opening to the TV room which is about 2200mm wide). Or should there just be one armchair, with two smaller seats for moving around?

Alcoves - somewhere along the way we decided not to fill these with books, which was perhaps a bit silly since we have so many. There are wall lights in place so we are thinking two, not necessarily matching, freestanding pieces - one for the record player and records, one for a cocktail cabinet of some description. The alcoves are 800 and 850 wide.

The pics include: a panoramic from left to right, the fire side (oh! We need a non-wooden fire surround, too!), the sofa with its end spaces, and how this relates to the middle room and the hallway outside.

I don’t expect answers for everything but any and all thoughts most welcome - you guys have been brilliant all the way!

CazSF xx

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.