hbbbb

Open plan or semi open plan? Floor plan / furniture layout help please

hbbbb
Hi all,

I was wondering if you might be able to provide some suggestions regarding our room layout? Please excuse the very amateur floor plan, but the dimensions are correct and scale are correct. We have had the kitchen designed properly and the kitchen furniture in the diagram is purely to give an idea, as the app has very limited options for sizes etc. In addition we have a separate lounge, not shown on the plan.

The plan is to have a semi open plan kitchen, family and dining area, with a short wall (2.8m) dividing the kitchen and family area which was planned to be a media wall, with built in cupboards, tv and bookshelves. This would also enable the children to watch tv and for me to listen to the radio while I cook.

Due to some structural issues we now need to knock down the short wall to insert a longer steel. The wall can either be rebuilt as originally on the plan or we can have a fully open plan room and I am wondering which way to go? I am not unhappy with the original design, however I am mulling how it would work fully open plan?

My key concerns about open plan are how I would arrange my furniture, particularly as we have so many doors? I can’t make it work with the table extended but perhaps lack imagination?

*We have a table 160 x 90 that extends to 230 x 90 and it is important that we can sear 8-10 for family visitors. We are normally 4.
On the plan the extended table looks enormous. The dimensions on the plan are 190 x 330cm to allow room for chairs, but it would only be like this 2-3 weeks a year and occasional entertaining.

*I would like room for a tv for the children and some storage cupboards for toys and bookshelves. The only space would be against same wall as utility?

*We need to be able to squash 2 adults and 2 children on a sofa and possible armchair in the tv area. On the plan the sofa is 180cm. The sofa will be replaced in time and is changeable.

*We can remove the door from hall way if fully open plan which could help?

Many thanks for any feedback you might have!