gary_arnold6502277

New house restyle

G Arnold
5 years ago
in the process of buying this house and trying to come up with a plan to give a bit more personality, currently quite simple, a blank canvas. Some details... it's an ex-commercial property, the glass windows occupy bulk of south facing rear (north facing side is connected to property behind it so nothing there, you enter from the west side which is the other side of the wooden gate) and gets a lot of light.

Good size open plan kitchen-diner-living space on ground floor is shown, along with master first floor bedroom.

Looking to avoid major works, kitchen is staying, so is flooring in both rooms... thinking mainly decorative touches. Have also included the architects concept mockup which supported the application for conversion.

the building is sat behind a row of three story Georgian properties and the garden leads down to a river frontage.

I do like mid century modern, but also like industrial styles... my dream is a warehouse loft style conversion one day... anyway... looking for inspiration so any bright ideas folks?

Comments (41)

• G Arnold
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    some additional photos of bedroom, architect mockup of main living space and a shot at night showing backdrop of Georgian properties...
  • G Arnold
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    thank you lomuarredi, however it's less about the furniture and more about fittings/decoration. contemplating doing some wood cladding around stairs and perhaps along one of the few walls, perhaps some antique mirroring above sink area in kitchen to bounce light back from the main south facing windows...

the most bland room is the large main bedroom... can't think of what to do with it...boring pitched ceiling, plain walls... it has no character ... the windows are cool. but that's it.
  • Related Discussions

New house - new living space

Q

Comments (16)
    The kitchen is very tricky not knowing whether you can reuse any of the cupboards and worktop... Move the washing machine to utility and install cupboard. Move the oven to the left of where it is now. Install shelves on the back of the kitchen wall. I'd keep the dresser where it is. If you did have to get some new units maybe consider a U shaped where the bin is now, you can always mix and match. The dining table can probably be swung the other way and moved away from the wall. There's a 4ft gap between the edge of my table and base units which is fine. I'd get 2 x 2 seater sofas and have them at right angles to the fire away from the walls with a coffee table in the middle. I'd get a smaller tv, sorry.. Leave the tv on the right wall but put in a cupboard door on the left alcove to match. This does mean you can only watch TV from one sofa though. If that's a problem then try an L shaped sofa on the left hand wall if you're facing the fire. Either of these options should leave you with room for cabinets against the walls for storage. Are the windows deeps enough to use as window seats?
    ...See More

I'm in a new house now and want to put 2 chandeliers up on each end. A

Q

Comments (12)
    Hi. You know, I'm totally with Pat Oliver on this - cant imagine why someone would have put three light fittings up in the first place!!! I, too, would go for just the one in the centre and remove the end light fitments. Don't know your budget or taste but I've fallen in love with ANTHROPOLOGIE'S totally OTT brightly coloured chandeliers which happen to be on sale now. I covet them but can't afford them. Why not combine your budget for two and buy something spectacular. You're only going to do it once!!! Wayfair is good for ideas and, believe it or not, if you have a COSTCO card they sell quite magnificent ones too. If budget is huge look perhaps at Thomas Goode. Happy shopping! Can we all see the result please?
    ...See More

Our new mezzanine home office

Q

Comments (9)
    Love those wall lights which are casting the light to create that cross effect! Would you be able to share where you got them from? Thanks!
    ...See More

Restyled dining room - what next ?

Q

Comments (8)
    Hello Mag, I love glam chic interiors and you picked great chairs and lighting! In square room, round table is the best option, it doesn't have sharp corners and take less space. Moreover, it allows to place as many seats as if you had larger rectangular table. You can add taupe rug with simmer. It will add cozy texture. Also add Large mirror on a wall in front of window. Choose soft or white gold metallic, not yellow gold. Consider to add small white fur throws on each chair to create contrast. Then your chairs will be a wow factor around black dining table. Add transparent glass jar with white and green flowers. You could add metallic clock and black and white pictures in frames or large wall art. In general, first complete your dining set of chairs and table. Then determine where is your focal point and decide what you what to feature there mirror or picture. Then on other large wall use what you didn't use on first. Don't overload place with colours, keep it simple. Hope it helps! Good luck! :)
    ...See More
  • T Gray
    5 years ago

That is an amazing space, congratulations! With the amount of light you have there, you can go really dramatic with the colour. Perhaps on that back wall where the kitchen is you could have some kind of mural? An enormous seascape? A picture of an industrial landscape?

Perhaps you could use brick slips on one of the walls and get a log burner installed. You just have got to get an Eames chair in there though!

With the bedroom perhaps a Georgian colour to tie in with the surroundings

Here is Little Greene's take on those colours

https://www.littlegreene.com/paint/colour/period-paint-colours/georgian-paint-colours

F&B suggest Mouse’s Back, Dead Salmon, Lichen, Pigeon and Picture Gallery Red.

http://www.farrow-ball.com/period-homes/content/fcp-content.

Good luck with it! Don't forget to post the after pics.

• A B
    5 years ago
    I think industrial would work really well. What is the artist impression of the living space (as opposed to the photo)? Is that your design?
  • G Arnold
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    hi Jen p, no not my design, it was a mockup created when the vendor was getting planning permission.
  • A B
    5 years ago
    It’s a shame they chose not to make a feature of the staircase like that. Are you keeping the floor? Love the windows
  • G Arnold
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    so far I am thinking: black kitchen cabinets (risky) to blend in with black marble countertops. Remove tiles behind sink and replace with antique mirror back splash across full width of sink and up to tip of cabinets either side. replace the current steel handles with something else? leather perhaps? then the walk that stretches from kitchen area to front of house.. perhaps brick slips or some white-washed wood? or just paint it something other than cream at least. woodburner for corner to left of French doors ( replacing radiator).. that's a starter for 10... will see if I can mock something up.
  • G Arnold
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    JenP, agree... however it would have eaten into their profits ;) Re: floor... yep that needs to stay as its only a year or so old and there isn't much point replacing as it will simply add costs. It's strand woven bamboo in "natural" colour ... not a massive fan (we are coming from a house that we did top to bottom in engineered oak which is great) but it's better than it could have been.
  • G Arnold
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Not quite what I was thinking... but general idea behind going black for the kitchen cabinets (painting, rather than replacing) and use of antique mirror for splashback?
  • T Gray
    5 years ago

That's quite a lot of unrelieved black and would be very 'there' in an open plan space. What if you could break it up with some copper doors? That would keep the industrial look and complement the antiqued mirror back?

• G Arnold
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Good point... in an open plan space I guess it could over shadow the rest of the space. Introducing copper is a good idea, although oven units and sink are stainless steel and always wary of mixing metal finishes....

I will have a think re: other cabinet colour schemes that go with black countertops (personally I prefer white counter tops but I am not spending money ripping out the existing ones)
  • A B
    5 years ago

You could possibly have the back wall of the kitchen with black units, then have a lighter grey at the front. It would also be nice to expose the beam to give it an authentic industrial feel. I also would consider removing some units so you can have some bar stools. I wonder if there is anyway you could stain the floor?

• G Arnold
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Like that Jen P. The peninsula part of the kitchen does already have space for stools... can fit 3-4 i reckon... re: floor,yeah it's a bit "meh" but I am thinking with some contrast with kitchen cabinets and different colour walls it might take better.
  • Carolina
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hi, love the space. I live in an ex industrial building and have a black tall bank of kitchen units in oak and a white peninsula. And love it :-)

I would paint the baseboards (not sure if that's the right name for them: between floor and walls) white, but the window frames and French doors + frame black.

• Carolina
    5 years ago

The vertical blinds are quite awful (sorry), so I'd look into changing the window coverings. Look at plissé blinds or shutters. Not cheap, but worth it. Nightmare to find curtains of any kind for windows like that anyway.

• Carolina
    5 years ago

I'd paint the stairs handrail black too. I wouldn't make a feature out of the small door in the bedroom, so would paint that the same colour as the wall.

• G Arnold
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi Carolina, agree with all your points :) The blinds are definitely going, probably replace with shutters but those blinds you have shown are a something I hadn't considered and look great. Will definitely be painting the skirting (baseboards) to blend with the wall, plus same for the cupboard doors that are for access to storage areas... want them to blend in, rather than pop. Also your point re: doors and windows is totally in tune with my thinking.

Right now I know that the following will feature:

1. Brick slips or a bath stone facade or wood panels on some walls
    2. Black or v dark kitchen units along wall, with island/peninsula in something lighter
    3. Antiqued mirror as a splash back for the sink area, perhaps also as a vertical panel flowing up the wall from where the peninsula joins the wall.
    4. bedroom painted a darker cooler (perhaps a green tone , walls, skirting, cupboards ceiling all the same.
    5. Shutters or blinds in bedroom
    6. built in cupboards along the eaves, finished in a reclaimed wood, perhaps with a similar cladding on the opposite wall where the head of the bed would be...
    7. may put some pendant lights along the seating area of the peninsula.
    8. fit better lights in bedroom - specifically the exposed braid lights that hang from ceiling hooks...

That's my thinking so far. May need to get a concept designer engaged to bring it to life to make sure it doesn't look naff, but one step at a time.

Thanks for the comments and inspiration.
  • PRO
    SUN STUDIO.London - Glassworks and Prints
    5 years ago

Hi Gary,

Regards the antique mirrors, well we have all of the choices. We are wholesaler of bespoke mirrors, however it sounds, just recently approached B2C segment. You might get some nice price as our prices for customers include trade discount which till now was available only for other reselling companies: https://www.sunstudio.london/printed-mirrors-wembley#content

• G Arnold
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi all, so moved in and working through a whole host of things... looking for a bit of inspiration re: kitchen... here is a photo of how it looks now. Work done:

1. Painted cabinets in F&B Pavilion Grey along wall, F&B Railings on the penisula
    2. Replaced kitchen handles and plug sockets with brass ones.
    3. Painted walls F&B Sulking Room Pink with ceiling and top border in F&B Wevet
    4. Updated tiles by painting them... very pleasantly surprised with results... look like regular tiles, albeit colour matched to wall...

Quite happy with things so far (although very different than planned)... some thoughts/questions I now have and could do with some opinions on...

1. I plan to change the stainless steel sink for a black one (so it blends into counter top, rather than standing out like a sore thumb)... should I got black or brass tap?
    2. Thinking of putting a couple of pendant lights at end of penisula... I like mid century modern and was thinking of choosing something in brass, but would that be out of kilter with shaker style cabinets and would brass be too matchy-matchy?
    3. Not sure what to do above sink? my original thought was an antiqued custom mirror wall? also toying with collection of retro mirrors... or a shelf?
    4. How about wall at end of penisula? Shelf?

As per the original photos at the top of this thread, kitchen is open plan to diner/living area... that has all been decorated in F&B Pavilion Grey on woodwork, F&B Ammonite on walls, with ceilings and a matching top border in F&B Wevet...

Thanks in advance.... currently slaving away on stairs (carpet gone, being painted) and split level hallway... brain no longer functioning.

• G Arnold
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Another picture looking out from kitchen area to "dining" area (albeit we are using it for the piano)... this was a work in progress shot... but hopefully gives you an idea of what that end looks like....

• acew1234
    5 years ago
    I have a black sink...never again.....it is actually possible to hate a sink! It's a nightmare as it shows every water mark, might be ok if you are in a soft water area.
  • G Arnold
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yep... I get that, the current stainless one is the same. Hard water here unfortunately. Other option is to get a sink / replacement countertop in Corian, but it's a load of hassle...
  • minnie101
    5 years ago

I think i would change the sink to a dark colour. There doesn't appear to be many around with a left drainer although I haven't spent ages looking. This one also comes in grey which may also be worth looking at?

https://www.cityplumbing.co.uk/Bristan-Gallery-Quartz-Easyfit-Sink-1-5-Bowl-Black-Left-Drainer/p/293405

When mixing metals I think it works best with a predominant one, if you add a brass tap and pendant I think the SS will probably still dominate. If you look at kitchens with brass handles most also have stainless steel ovens and they seem to work well. I would probably just add one pendant personally, you may find 2 quite intrusive but I prefer the look of one in any case! I also think mid century would work.

i would add 2 shelves over the sink as I think you need shelves to bridge the 2 units. Having said I'd change the sink, I think I'd do the shelves and accessorise first as you may find by creating a focal point you don't need to change the sink :)

i wouldn't add a shelf at the peninsula end, probably just prop a couple of chopping boards. You can quite easily buy vintage french ones with handles which look beautiful and add character but appreciate you may not want to use for hygiene reasons! Congratulations on the move, the room is looking good

• G Arnold
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for taking the time to respond Minnie, very much appreciated. I hate the stainless steel sink and tap, plus don't want to pay for a new integrated sink countertop so I am going to bite the bullet with a darker sink and just have to be fastidious with cleaning to prevent build up of limescale :)

Good point re: shelves to bridge the two vertical units... and also re: picking a dominant metal when mixing. I think I will find a mid century inspired one with brass in it, replace tap with a brass one and then swap out the chrome/red toaster with something plain black... that should mean only stainless steel is the oven....

Thanks again, TBH I started to get a bit lost with ideas for the open plan area and hence moved on to the stairs and hallway... terrible for starting multiple jobs... plus I never seem to be able to "finish" off a room how I would like. Hats off to interior designers/concept planners...
  • E D
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Looking good.

I remember seeing your first post and thinking its an interesting house.

Can you take more photos showing more of or even the entire space? I know you posted fotos before but they’re from before your work done to it.

And if I’m honest, I’m curious to see more of your grand piano! :)

• PRO
    William Holland Ltd
    5 years ago

Hi,

This is such a beautiful space. Dark backdrops and unit banks are a stunning industrial look and you certainly have the light to be able to pull it off.

With regards to industrial fittings for bathrooms there are many options that could work from rustic metal finishes to the more sleek aesthetic. I have attached few examples of recent projects for you in case these help.

• G Arnold
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi E D, sure couple of photos below... the piano is a Baby Grand though :) House too tiny for a true Grand.

Few things... yellow accents will probably go, blue picture frames are getting swapped to something chunkier, radiators either getting swapped for column ones or putting some covers over them that will be colour matched to walls, still lots of artwork to hang (currently in boxes), and need some more tall plants... (eg to left of TV, on piano...etc)

• G Arnold
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That's a nice piano T Gray... its just a Metzler & Co from early 1900's... its my other halves and she spent a small fortune getting it restored, made no commercial sense as its worth diddly squat, but she loves it none the less :) P.S. Did you spot the other moggy on the bar stool? Both seem to like to sit in the chair I usually sit in... I think its a power play! P.P.S Thanks re: room... TBH something isn't quite working for me with it at the moment... will make the changes I have said above (plants, more pictures, get rid of the yellow... etc) and see if it still bugs me...

• T Gray
    5 years ago

Lol, no didn't spot second mog at all. Pianos like these are not worth anything but they are beautiful objects in their own right. Yours is lovely.

Have you thought about replacing the yellow cushions with a dusky blush colour? They would tie in a bit better with the wall at the back I think?

• E D
    5 years ago

We used to have a 1950s Challen baby grand. Not a fantastic piano but quite playable and good looking.

I got rid of it after a few years of having it because of lack of space and the fact we already had an upright which has been in our family since the ‘70s and is, albeit a little harsh sounding, still a decent retro looking and very playable instrument.

• E D
    5 years ago

Your room looks great from the angles of your latest photos. Yes the yellow, although I don’t dislike it, is probably not necessary.

Baby grand looks great. The cabinet next to it doesn’t seem to quite work with it though even though it’s a nice piece in itself.

Perhaps you you can try and move it elsewhere to let the piano ‘breath‘ better in its space.

• E D
    5 years ago

And maybe move the sideboard (with the TV) to the left somewhat. It appears a bit squashed into the right hand corner with the circular cabinet.

• G Arnold
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks E D - re: squashed sideboard/circular cabinet - agreed. Its there are the moment to hide plugs - temporary thing until I find a better solution to box in the plugs and blend them into the wall. Also a good point re: the cabinet to the right of the piano... might shift it out and see what it looks like.

• minnie101
    5 years ago

Looks good :) I don't know whether it fits but could the piano go in the radiator corner (although not right in) facing the other way? I might just try painting the picture frames personally. If you've got any left over paint I'd also just paint the radiators in the wall emulsion and see what you think. I don't know whether this would work structurally plus you may hate them (!) but I feel like a hanging chair could work next to the tv. It would need to be a slimmish one and I'd go for one that doesn't visually feel the space too much

• G Arnold
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hanging chair is something I hadn't considered, but I do really like them. I had been going down the lounge chair/occasional chair route to add to sofa seating (which is really only a 2.5 seater) for occasional visitors... I know my other half loves hanging chairs.... hmm... one to ponder and check out. will also try a rejig to piano positioning and see how it looks...
  • G Arnold
    Original Author
    5 years ago

A few minor tweaks following various suggestions... new mid century chair, painted radiator, painted frames, swapped out yellow accents, hung some mirrors (temporarily), added more plants, moved some cupboards... currently working on stairs/entry hall, utility, downstairs shower room... all just minor tweaks and decorating but forgot how time consuming it can be...

• T Gray
    5 years ago

Lovely job!

• T Gray
    5 years ago

Ooh just noticed your Art Deco style Marvel posters. They look great in that space. We have the Iron Man one like yours along with a Hulk and Avengers Assemble one in the cinema room.

The more I look at your pics, the more I like what you have done and the colours you have chosen. You must be super pleased at how it has turned out. :)

• nmlondon
    5 years ago
    Gary, what a lovely job, and I love your baby grand, have always had a soft spot for baby grands, unfortunately not enough room for one.
  • G Arnold
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks T Gray, nmlondon... pretty happy with how it's turned out. Still want to swap out sink for a darker one, add a coffee table and eventually swap the mirror above sink and at end of penisula with something else... but for now will leave it be and focus on other jobs.
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.