laura_connolly33

Help with hall/stairs/landing

Laura Connolly
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi everyone,

I will soon be re-painting my hall/stairs/landing and having the carpet and hard flooring replaced.

There are no windows directly onto this area so it can be very dark, and it's a three storey terraced house. Here is the current hallway and stairs (sorry for the bad pic):

All I know for definite so far is that the ground floor hallway will be travertine like this (because we are having it as a new kitchen floor that will continue into the hallway and cloakroom):

In terms of the painting, I kind of like it how it is (a light cream, with white woodwork), but it really does need a fresh coat now. It feels like a big job though, so I want to see something for it if you know what I mean. I feel like a bit of a bore having it pretty much the same again. However, I hate coloured walls of any kind, hate wallpaper, and don't like grey either(!)

So the main options I am considering are:

A) White walls and bannister spindles; light coffee coloured skirtings and bannister tops

B) A darker neutral for the walls - maybe a "greige" sort of colour - with white woodwork and natural bannister tops again

C) Completely the same again - light cream walls, white woodwork, natural bannister tops

Above all I want my home to feel warm and welcoming, which makes me a bit unsure about option A. The lack of natural light makes me unsure about option B. Option C is just really boring, and will feel like a lot of work only to make it look like it does now only cleaner.

I would like some sort of contrast between the woodwork (door frames & skirting) and the walls, so I won't be going for white and white.

My other dilemma is the stair carpet. Again, I kind of like the one I've got but not the tone of it. It can look a bit mustardy sometimes, so I'd like to go for another berber carpet but in a lighter neutral. But of course, I want to make sure it goes with the travertine floor and whatever paint I go for.

Style-wise, I love traditional, classic, timeless looks and dislike anything very modern. The house is only about 20 years old but I love rustic and cottagey interiors.

Can anyone advise or inspire me? I realise I sound like the most boring homeowner ever sorry!

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.