one22

What to do with uneven alcoves?

A B
5 years ago

We have slightly uneven chimney breast alcoves in our office. The one on the right fits our old Billy book case perfectly (80cm). The one on the left is only 75cm (currently with our 60cm Billy in). We are in the process of decorating, thinking inchyra blue and painting the bookcases the same colour. But what should we do with the left hand side?? We really need storage on both sides. But it looks really odd doesn't it. Any clever ideas? No budget for fitted furniture unfortunately...

Comments (97)

• Carolina
    5 years ago

If you want to see more, give me shout

• Jules Mc
    5 years ago
    Wow Carolina what a help that is!! I I must say I still like the honey but then I like them all except the bordeaux (might be because it was my school uniform colour and all these later it still haunts me!!)
    Great job
  • Related Discussions

Uneven alcoves

Q

Comments (6)
    As it is, it does look odd being asymmetrical. However, it looks like the room will have a television mounted on the wall and therefore presumably there will be various devices connected to this. If so, perhaps create storage in the right hand alcove. I would suggest creating a plinth in the right hand alcove (the same height as the beam), and then building bespoke shelving within this that can accommodate audio visual peripherals, DVDs etc. If you wanted to hide some of these items, doors could be added. Adding a shadow gap will make it look a feature in it's own right.
    ...See More

what best to do with alcove?

Q

Comments (6)
    Hi. Is the tv comfortable at that viewing height? I'd lower it, put the sideboard (with a lamp, flowers/stems etc) in the other alcove and have a tv unit below the tv. personal opinion only re the sofa but I'm not a fan of things blocking things even if they're not used, could you add a chair as below? i might also paint the pipes in both of the wall colours so they blend in and I'd lower the floral sculpture just a few inches so it's not touching the picture rail. im not sure if there's room to move the side table the other side of the sofa but if there's is I would centre the keyboard in the bay and add a tall plant where the table is.
    ...See More

Uneven alcoves

Q

Comments (11)
    AHA! That's what you mean with uneven alcoves. Do you know why they are like that? Any idea what's behind the wall above the right alcove? If you can't open it up further, you could put shelves in the 'bottom' alcove with doors that are more or less flush with the wall. Art above. I'd put shelves in the other alcove, maybe with doors in front of the bottom shelves to mimic the other side.
    ...See More

Help please with what to do w/ living room alcove

Q

Comments (10)
    My first though was to fit a door to the smaller alcove on the right with shelves if needed, for example for the printer, and the other side on the left could take shelving but fit a door at the bottom for hidden storage. It’s something a carpenter could do as I doubt you would get the right sizing off the shelf.
    ...See More
  • Carolina
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Bordeaux was my gymnastics uniform colour (I hated gymnastics). But I managed to get over it :-D

• Carolina
    5 years ago

And I really love the painting, but I wonder if it will be better over the sofa? It feels a little too big over the fireplace. Or maybe it feels different in real life and it's just the photo that emphasises it

A B thanked Carolina
  • Carolina
    5 years ago

Quin Cocktail Chair, also from Swoon, in Emerald. And I threw in a light too (think I made it a bit too big, but hey ho... I'm just having fun :-) ) https://www.castlegatelights.co.uk/impex-lighting-verna-4-light-ceiling-pendant-in-satin-gold-and-crystal-finish-p39153

• A B
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Carolina that’s amazing thank you! I also preferred the fitz (?) chair with buttons. It is slightly bigger though so may be a bit too big. I’ll remeasure when the shelves are up I think. I think I prefer the kingfisher too seeing the images which has surprised me. Will see how the swatches work in the room.
  • A B
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ps we have a mirror above the sofa, which although large feels a bit small. I might try swapping them round (not sure husband will agree though!)
  • Sonia
    5 years ago

Carolina are you human? The way you help us minions on Houzz is just fantastic. The way you share your ideas and talent and give us amazing mock ups help us envisage design ideas. Jen I love all those chairs but not keen on the burgundy one and the fern fabric is beautiful. That room is going to look amazing!

• Carolina
    5 years ago

Jen P, you're welcome :-)

Forzaitalia: you just blew my cover! :-D

• A B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

OK an update. I've swapped the mirror and picture. What do you think. The shelves still need painting and decluttering but I'm so pleased we did them. The curtains I wasn't sure about but swapping the mirror next to them has really helped. In the future we will replace the desk and chandelier. I'm still undecided about the armchair. Considering hunter. Do you think the yellow accents work with the metallics?

• Carolina
    5 years ago
    I think swapping the painting and the mirror is a great move. Feels much more balanced now.
    I love the hallway!
    A B thanked Carolina
  • Carolina
    5 years ago
    Maybe one day you can swap the mirror for one with a simpler frame. I’ve just noticed your gorgeous fireplace. The painting above it was rather overpowering.

Do you have something yellow in or around the home that you can bring in to see if it works?
  • Carolina
    5 years ago
    Not as bright yellow as the bag ;-)

I think that blue or green works better with your sofa, but it might be different in real life. Ad I liked the burgundy red, but I was the only one :-)
  • Karen
    5 years ago
    Hi Jen P, it's looking good! I came across this chair online whilst looking for similar ones myself, they have loads of colour options and the price is better too :-) thought you might be interested.

https://www.cultfurniture.com/furniture-c10/chairs-c3/lounge-chairs-c167/penelope-accent-chair-velvet-upholstered-mustard-p14532
    A B thanked Karen
  • Ribena Drinker
    5 years ago

OMG Jen P I absolutely love that picture!

• AMB
    5 years ago
    I love your door and frame! How unusual and lucky no vandals have removed it.

Picture and mirror look much better swapped. I think yellow could work but go for rich golden tones like ochre and brass. Yellow-green tones (like your vases on the shelves) suit more modern or mid century modern which is not the style of that room.
  • E D
    5 years ago

Looking good. And to think it's 'only' an office...

Why have you kept that door from us for so long! :)

It's amazing.

Now the arched alcoves make even more sense.

• Carolina
    5 years ago
    Yes, I said hallway, but love the door too. Gorgeous house.
  • A B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The doors were I think the the first thing that made me fall in love with the house and move here :) The hallway is much more my 'style' (it does have some rotten floor boards unfortunately so a work in progress) but I really wanted to be brave and go dark in this room. The furniture is all a bit of a mish mash from different rooms in previous houses so I'm still working out what will stay and what will be moved. I agree the mirror and yellow vases aren't totally right for the room but currently they have no where else to go! The sofa is the main thing that needs to stay, so I will try and phase other things out gradually (and the tools/toolstation bag a little sooner!). Life is so hectic at the moment that everything seems to take weeks. I'll post a proper after photo when it's all finished though- thanks for all the advice

• Sonia
    5 years ago
    I actually think the mirror is really nice. The room is really coming together. I think a few cushions maybe in teal and gold would look rather nice, and a rug on the floor - you don’t have to spend a fortune, Dunelm have got a lovely range. Nearly there.........
    A B thanked Sonia
  • A B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks I'll check out Dunelm. Unfortunately everyone apart from me seems to hate cushions in this house for some strange reason! I will probably compromise in this room, so I can go cushion mad in the living room and master bedroom ;)

It's nice to hear you like the mirror too. I think in the photos the sofa looks more grey than it really is, and the mirror more bronze. However I'm getting a bit stressed by the mix of so many strong/competing colours!

• Sonia
    5 years ago

If everything was too colour matched it can look a bit flat and uninteresting. So sorry that no one else wants cushions, they really do finish a room. Great cheap way to change the look of a room with little outlay, Here‘s an inspo photo, but yes, it is rather colourful!

A B thanked Sonia
  • A B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I know. I have 2 small cushions on the sofa, but every time I go in they are on the floor grrr!

• E D
    5 years ago
    Haha Jen, my offspring usually chuck the cushions aside or on the floor as well.

For some reason they don't find cushions comfy, and they're just in their way.
  • Carolina
    5 years ago

Does this help?

• E D
    5 years ago

Maybe it's how it looks in the photo, but I hope you don't mind me saying this, the large picture looks a little odd to me. Sort of confusing to see another window, with curtains, that appears out of proportion.

It's hard to explain what it is and I'm sure it looks better in the flesh, but it seems to distract from the beauty of the room.

• A B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That really helps thank you.

I don't mid at all. The room definitely feels a bit 'confused' when I walk in still! There's a lot going on, and if I had planned it from scratch I would have made different choices. It's a bit frustrating with the painting, as colour wise I'm happy. I also like the scale of it (although you aren't the first to comment on this). Another point to consider thanks

• A B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I've been wandering around the room all evening! I *think* that if I go for the green (Hunter or Kingfisher) chair as per Carolina's second mock up the painting works 0k?? Can I have some more honest opinions and don't worry about offending me! I probably wouldn't move it straight away, but it would be good to have something to aim towards. If you think it needs replacing- what with? I'm not a fan of bare walls as you can probably tell ;) I will rehome the yellow vases btw

• AMB
    5 years ago
    To be totally, totally honest (you asked for it)... I don't think the painting works at all. The colours don't suit the wall colour. It's very Hockney so would suit a mid-century modern room which is not the style of the room you are going for. I think it is unclear what you want that room to be? Cosy and traditional, or modern with a few period touches?

I would choose kingfisher. :)
    A B thanked AMB
  • A B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

"it is unclear what you want the room to be'- yep!

• Emily
    5 years ago
    Jen P
    I originally didn’t look closely enough and thought the painting was a ship! And I’m not keen on the actual subject of the painting. However for some strange reason I really love the feeling the painting gives! So even though I know what Amb is saying if you like the feel it gives the room then “style it out” as the kids say. (Which I think means “own it”) :)
    A B thanked Emily
  • E D
    5 years ago

I like the painting. I like its scale. I like the fact it gives a feeling of airy-ness (surely, that's not a word...) but I think it's in the wrong place.

Not so much because it's the 'wrong' style or period but rather because the subject matter is open doors to the outside, it appears to change the proportions of the room.

Trompe l'oeil, but In a not so good way.

• Jules Mc
    5 years ago
    I think I'm the only one who think the picture looked fab over the fireplace. It was a real statement. I know you're going to style the shelves but im sure that you wanted them for storage and make the best use of the alcoves rather than be the focal point of the room. The pic brings the fireplace to luge much more than the mirror does IMHO. Just a reminder of one of the looks below that Carolina did for you that looked fab. I wouldn't be in a rush to get it 'right'. Look back to those early Billy bookcase photos. What at a transformation you've accomplished so far. It's looking great .
  • Jules Mc
    5 years ago
    To life!! Where's the flipping edit button gone???
  • E D
    5 years ago

I think I agree, Jules. It looks better above the fireplace.

Or does it look like a TV hung too high?...

• Ribena Drinker
    5 years ago

I absolutely love it, I think the easiest way to solve the picture dilemma is to give it to me!!!!

Problem solved. :-)

• Carolina
    5 years ago

Hi Jen, you know what I just thought? Do you really want/need a chair in your office? Isn't the sofa enough?

• A B
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ha ha I literally just ordered the chair yesterday!! I had considered not getting it, but the floorboards where it will go are a modern repair and I needed something to disguise them. I’ve removed the yellow vases, and am now quite happy with the room painting included! (Thank goodness as I’d been half wondering about repainting the walls...!)
  • Carolina
    5 years ago

Lol... as I typed it, I did think 'but what if she just ordered one?!?'. So... which one did you order? In what colour?

I love the colour of the walls. Glad you're now happier with the room :-)

• A B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

the Duke in Kingfisher, as the other one would have been too big sadly

• Carolina
    5 years ago
    Fingers crossed it looks as good as it does in the mock-ups
  • A B
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Still not finished but very happy with how it turned out. Thank you so much to everyone who helped along the way :)
  • PRO
    Verity & Beverley Ltd
    5 years ago

Looks fab, well done, all the hard work shows.

• Sonia
    5 years ago

Fab-u-lous! You really have a talent for design. Loveliest office I’ve ever seen, well done! What colour did you use on the walls?

• Carolina
    5 years ago

It's lovely! Yay!!!!

• A B
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks F! Credit where it’s due to everyone who made suggestions (including you!) though. It’s inchyra blue. I wasn’t sure about the room for ages but I’m really happy with it now. Just need to replace the chandelier at some stage :)
  • A B
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Just realised looking at the photo my sofa needed straightening and my dog is now famous!
  • Carolina
    5 years ago

Wanted to mention very cute, now famous dog, but forgot. Sorry :-)

• Carolina
    5 years ago

You could spray paint the chandelier black. Think that that would work lovely.

• E D
    5 years ago

Ah, it’s a dog!

Just thought it was a new trend. A fluffy shaggy cushion in a cage.

:-D

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.