0
Your shopping basket is empty.

Statement wallpaper – have you braved it?

HouzzUK
24 August, 2018

Dramatic wallpaper designs like these statement beauties can transform a room – and that's whether you choose to paper a feature wall or all four walls!

Are you brave enough? Tell us where you've dared to go bold with wallpaper at home (we'd love to see a photo too)!

Reflections collection · More Info

Statement Wallpaper · More Info

• Adrian Tearle
    We went bold with the wallpaper on a feature wall in our lounge and love it!
    OnePlan
    I love it ( sometimes ) in other peoples homes ... but don’t have any in mine !
  • Tani H-S
    I love wallpaper feature walls but rarely end up using it.

A) because I like so many different types of wallpaper that I can just never choose one to go for
    And

B) because I’ve never wallpapered before and loath to pay people in case it’s not done perfectly. I can paint well so end up just painting.
    Wallpapering is such a haste and I can paint a whole room in the time it would take me to paper one wall
  • HU-512023338

I'm fortunate that my husband is a decorator but everyone loves the bird of paradise paper on 1 wall of the bedroom- so uplifting when you walk in.

• HU-512023338

Snap janegrayshon!

• joredz1

We totally embraced wallpaper this last year in our house in Mallorca. We wanted something stand out and different and we couldn’t love it more ...

Chris Goodchild

Since the '60s when I started as an apprentice with my Dad I have hung just about everything it is possible to stick to a wall, from old fashioned '50s floral designs (think typical Indian restaurant paper) to wood chip, old kitchen and bathroom 'waterproof' papers, vinyls, anaglypta, superglypta, Upholstery vinyl, suede, leather, roofer's hessian, real Japanese rice grass and the worst to hang, a French hand printed paper that was done with water soluble inks; one wet finger and the peice would be rubbish and have to be replaced etc etc.

My brother did a room for a friend by using heavy G800 plain lining paper and then used net curtains to spray through with a pale olive green to reproduce the curtain pattern on the wall then used a matt artist's varnish to seal it.

You need not be limited by what you see in a wallpaper pattern book, although companies like Rasch and many others offer some incredible designs.

Mixing papers in terms of colour and texture with each other as well as painted walls can change the character of a room completely.

Being relatively expensive nowadays I think choosing paper according to the latest trend is not the best way to go unless you can afford it and like frequent change.

I am currently renovating my house over the next couple of years and wallpaper is definitely a part of the plan, having a Russian wife I will be buying my papers from Moscow or the Ukraine at less than half the price of the UK, then I will have to fight with my wife to see who hangs it (most painters and decorators in Russia are women and my wife is a dab hand at paperhanging.

I tend to go for feature walls and sometimes ceiling papers, in my lounge I have a very nice molded coving that stands off from the wall about 40mm so I will install LED strips as a downlight and paper the ceiling with a very low key pattern, with the right pattern and the downlit walls it should make the ceiling look higher and the room more spacious.

My point is, I like paper!

• turquoisetree53

Lovely comment by the paper- fan, with inspiring ideas and memories.

But, there surely nothing to beat Trompe l’oeil.

• delyth price
    Love my Laura Ashley Geranium wallpaper
  • stumac23
    This is our downstairs loo. Why not express yourself a little? There are some amazing designs out there and it can create atmosphere in a room where you might not want to use a lot of art (bathrooms, spare bedrooms etc). I’d like to find a home for some witty Fornasetti wallpaper some day.
  • Kerry Stafford
    I love this wallpaper in my kitchen! it softens the feel of the exposed brick behind my cooker which I wanted to leave to show off the original building. it was a coal room.
    Amber Jeavons Ltd

I do love statement wallpaper! But I do not think it stops at paper or paint alone. Given I am a designer with extremely creative vision. I decided to take my wallpaper and give it a bespoke treatment shown in varying degrees. Creating "Art" within the home. Or rather the home as "Art" Why stop at function alone with decor that pales with every passing year. When it can evolve and develop to provide continued inspiration and interest..... AJ

BLOCK PAINTING AND PAPER

MOTIF AND SHINE

• HU-223713

I used a statement wallpaper in my bedroom and although I like it, I find it restricts choice for bedding :(

• Beano
    Had a velvet flock one in my bedroom up until two years back, I’m all white and sterile now but loved that paper

Not my room but the same paper, easy tiger in silver and black
  • Beano
    Another company is feathr, if you want statement wallpaper they will have it! Not cheap but mad designs

Love this one
    Graham & Brown

Kids Wallpaper · More Info

Kids Wallpaper · More Info

Statement wallpaper is not just for adults!!! These are two of our new kids wallpapers and I am sure you agree with the combination of glitter and colour these will create the WOW factor in any bedroom

Chris Goodchild

I have been looking for something different wallpaper wise for my house for when I get to the decorating stage. This morning I had a look on Aliexpress to see if they had any wallpapers, under Textile wallcoverings there is an amazing range of custom made to measure feature wall offerings, some are murals and for me a bit on the tacky side but some of the designs are definitelyin the 'making a statement' category.

You need to read through the blarb a couple of times as some of the instructions have been done via Google translate but I am going to try one of the smaller designs for a bedroom and see how the order comes out. They print any given design to the size you want so that you can cover any wall.

I have no idea how it will turn out but I like a lot of the designs, if the quality turns out to be good I will be delighted.

If anyone has experience with ordering this kind of thing from Aliexpress I would love to know about it.

• Lyn Hickson

Nisha Parekh the wallpaper is called hummingbirds I think it's designer guilds.My sister-in-law has it on one wall as a feature behind her bed and it's stunning! Lot's of colour ways hers is dark blue and gold with a gold quilt set it works fabulously.hope this helps you

• Nisha Parekh
    Thanks Lyn! Now I just have to figure out which room to use it in... I suspect the husband will not be impressed considering we just finished redecorating the whole house... Or so he thought...
  • T Gray

I am currently considering using this Graham and Brown in my breakfast room. It's not subtle, fashionable, modern or one that most folks would have in their house. However the room is bright with original Edwardian cupboards and painted oak and teak furniture (old stuff given time to age into shabby chic! ) and I think it is going to look fab :D

Amalfi Cielo

Chris Goodchild

T Gray

I like that paper , it reminds me of one of the lighter fruity William Morris designs.

I am thinking of this; https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1kpRic6ihSKJjy0Flq6ydEXXaw.jpg for my lounge, it's printed to fit the wall and works out around €300 for the wall so not exactly cheap but my wife likes it too and it compliments the three piece suite colours.

• T Gray

Thanks Chris, never thought of that. Probably why we feel it suits the room. Though only on one wall. All of them may be a tad too much. :D

unfortunately your link doesn't work for me. You got a different link?

• Ki
    Love bold wallpaper as well as a good, bold paint. Have this one (piccie 1&2) on our landing - there are no windows so I wanted something fun but light. The second one is our lounge/diner...loved it for years but I’m the sort of person that loves to redecorate, so I feel that a change may be coming to this room soon...I daren’t tell the OH!
  • gilliifer
    l love wallpaper. Just have the decorator in now. I tend to choose quite subtle, art deco styles in the main. But have chosen a rich blue for the lounge, and a wild tropical look for the downstairs loo. What I I enjoy is variety in other people's homes. The point is it's fun. And it can be changed. If you are a fan of safe, plain white, go for it. But some of us like a bit more character.
  • Lena
    I really like wallpaper, but restricted to one wall.
  • missizz17
    We used wallpaper to warm the room up. It was previously painted a miserable shark/gunmetal grey. Now we have textured wallpaper, bold but civilised
  • Judith Wright
    In my lounge
  • Jac Hackney

Metallic washable Zophany wallpaper as a splash back works really well

• Ali Wadham

My downstairs loo....flamingoed!

• Masar Abbas
    i want the color of wall dark blue
  • Helen

Our downstairs cloakroom x

• Emma Lamb
    Ali and Helen...wallpaper envy! love a Flamingo and a Palm.
  • Jac Hackney

Go nuts and think totally outside the box with fun wallpaper

• angelavdavis
    I have fish in my kitchen diner and trees in my downstairs cloak!
  • Jenny Atkinson
    Just finished decorating
  • Heidi Lumb

We did a feature wall with wallpaper in our main bedroom....its subtle yet striking and we are VERY pleased with it!

• Heidi Lumb

Then we went all over in the 'industrial themed' utility room

• pmasmith3
    I love my Juneberry & Bird by Lorna Susan. Finished decorating kitchen/diner just in time for Christmas.
  • pmasmith3
    Sorry, Lorna Syson - predictive text!
  • coolerplanet

Renovating a mid century house, we slapped white paint almost everywhere except in the newly opened up hall way . We chose a Josef Albers design to chime age wise and hung one colourway in the hall and another in the entrance.. It is dramatic but cheerful and works well in transition areas I think.

• Jane
    Downstairs cloakroom
  • jemma_browne48
    My downstairs loo. It’s been like this for at least 8 years and I still love it. I do fancy a change though.
  • Julie

Wallpaper sometimes just works. Here's my mini moderns in my 1960's house.

• Julie

Festival

• Sarah
    I'd love to try a wallpaper but have never done it before. I change my mind a lot. If I put it up and then want to change it, will I end up with a scrappy uneven looking wall after I've steamed it off? What are other people's experience?
  • Julie
    No sarah it wont ruin your wall if ti was in good condition before, should you decide to take it off again....unless its woodchip!
  • Sarah
    Thanks Julie, no woodchip thankfully! Walls are in pretty good condition. That's good news then, maybe I'll try some wallpaper then :-)
  • Julie
    give it a go Sarah you might be pleasantly surprised
  • Nicola Hassall

I love wallpaper. Every room has it in, as you can see!

• Nicola Hassall

the other rooms!