jessa61

Very peculiar room and differing window heights

jessa61
5 years ago

Hello everyone,

I have asked on here a couple of times before and have always received the best advice so thought i would be greedy and go again - although this time with my most tricky conundrum yet!

My problem is i have the most unusual shape room with a square bay window which looks out not the back garden and a window (which is of a very different height to the bay) which looks out on to a fence. Ignore all the decor, (carpets, wallpaper, curtains etc); everything in that respect is changing. I can't afford to do anything to change the structural element of the room so can't change the windows. I need to fit in built in wardrobes, a bed, 2 side tables and a chest of drawers with a tv on top (at a minimum, i am happy to add where needed). I have attached a photo from the house particulars (so not my furniture) and a floor plan.

I am just not sure which way to lay the room out. Originally i thought about putting the bed on the smaller window but as this set centre it wouldn't leave enough room for built in wardrobes to the side and so the bed wouldn't be centre to the window. I then thought about have the bed on the wall opposite the bay and then the built ins on the wall to the left but then i didn't know where to put the tv.

Curtains are also an issue in that how do you dress a room with different window height? Maybe curtains for the bay and then a blind for the other window but if i had build ins to the left, i am not sure i could then have full length curtains without impeding the cupboard.

Ahhh it's so tricky.

Thank you for all your help :)

Comments (46)

• Emily O'Byrne
    5 years ago
    I forgot to say put Roman blinds on both windows.
    jessa61 thanked Emily O'Byrne
  • Related Discussions

Help please with very awkward living room that's driving me crazy!

Q

Comments (17)
    I moved the doorway to my bathroom and it was worth every penny if it means you can get a better arrangement, but exploring all the options first is best to avoid the hassle. Personally i would put the TV in the corner labelled 'wasted space', put the sofa where the bookcase is, put the armchairs in much the same place but perhaps more in a straight line with the fireplace and the coffee table in the middle. It looks like all your furniture hugs the walls, but it will make the room seem a lot less long and narrow if the flow was broken up a bit in the middle. Then I would move the book case over where the TV is, add a snuggler in the bay window and perhaps a sideboard (or guitars) to the right on the wall across from where the TV currently is. It would almost be like splitting the room in to two different spaces for two different purposes. The guitars and books near the window for light and relaxation and the furniture in a social setting without being center around the tv entirely but in a good view as well. My room is equally as awkward and I am still trying to figure it out so best of luck to you!
    ...See More

Paint colours come out VERY different from brochure help!

Q

Comments (11)
    Hi Donna, getting the right colour can be a nightmare...especially if you wanna match the same tone as on the picture. There could be many reasons...the picture was taken in different light conditions as your room has, the painted surface was different or even it can be a problem of your device display...on different displays some colours appear differently. Im with Persona Adobe and I would try to get the colour which looks best in daylight conditions of your room rather then getting the tone from the picture and use the picture as an inspiration ;) ...good luck! / Marcin
    ...See More

Very high bathroom window dressing

Q

Comments (23)
    I really think it's a great basis for a lovely bathroom as it is. Here's what I would change to make it into the lovely, relaxed and luxurious space you're aiming for: roman blinds, change the photo frame for framed art with green tones in it, change the mirror for a larger and more elaborate one, find a small cart/trolley that holds towels and the items for daily use that are now on the little planchet. If you have space for that? There are very narrow ones that might work?
    ...See More

Window sill height

Q

Comments (6)
    Thank you both for taking time to read & respond to my question. Kazzh good thought about the curtains but the photo was from previous owners decor, furniture etc. Siobhan good point, my thought was the same but I can’t decide if it’s necessary next to the table? There are radiators but luckily the one by the dining table is low, same height as the radiator under the other window, (almost as if someone previously had the same idea). However, we have checked & planning permission is no longer required & we have spoken to the neighbours. A complete quandary really I just wondered if there‘s a design rule that says window sill height should be the same?
    ...See More
  • Lisa D
    5 years ago
    I think you either put the bed under the window or on the wall adjoining bed 3. Then some drawer unit opposite with tv on if you need that. Bank of wardrobes on the door wall as you walk in. I’d prob dress the window with curtain and the small window with a plain blind. If you want them matching, buy ready made and get a local seamstress to adjust for the smaller window - cheaper than buying 2 bespoke sets
    jessa61 thanked Lisa D
  • Juliet Docherty
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I would have the bed under the high window as there is room for a headboard and this would detract from the difference in height. Move the bay window radiator and have a low wide double chest of drawers made (not that expensive from the right supplier), this would fill the bay and use the depth. Roman blinds on both windows.

jessa61 thanked Juliet Docherty
  • jessa61
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi everyone thank you so much for your suggestions. The problem with having the bed under the higher window is it doesn't leave enough room for a bedside table and wardrobe or even for just the wardrobe to open (and to not have a bedside table) - unless you don't think it matters that the bed isn't straight under the window and instead put the bed in the centre of the wall and the window off to the left? I have attached a photo showing the gap between the higher window and wall. Do you think it may look odd for the window not to be straight over the bed? The window takes up more of that wall than the floor map makes it seem.

• E D
    5 years ago

Do you have to keep that bed? I feel a double (or bigger) will look much better in your room.

jessa61 thanked E D
  • jessa61
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi ED thank you for your comment. Ignore all the furniture that is just the estate agent photo. We have a double bed, two side tables, a chest of drawers and will build cupboards

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

I don't think i'd do any of the above. I'm not keen on the shorter height window. Thus, i'd have build in wardrobes across that wall and board up, albeit temporarily over the window. I think it gives you the option for a much nicer layout. Like this:-

you could also do this:-

jessa61 thanked User
  • jessa61
    Original Author
    5 years ago

What a clever idea! And thank you for the 3d mock up. I didn't even think of that as a possibility. That would solve a lot of my issues

• Jonathan
    5 years ago
    Just noticed Hugh’s plan..... great minds and all that
    jessa61 thanked Jonathan
  • jessa61
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you both so much. This has nicely solved my conundrum :)

• jessa61
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Just a quick question regarding ventilation, does it matter that you are blocking up a window with cupboards?

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Hi Jessa, it doesn't matter at all. We've had a window blocked off for 19 years with a shower in front of it, of all things! . The room still has ventilation so it will be fine!

jessa61 thanked User
  • E D
    5 years ago

Maybe it makes perfect sense to block a window, but ii almost instinctively feel it would be a shame. .

Isn't it really nice to have a double aspect room? Fairly rare as well, at least in my neck of the woods....

jessa61 thanked E D
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Disagree E D. I like double aspect one on each side, but not adjacent and definitely not two different sizes. Better to lose one for the greater good of the room, that smaller one is fairly hideous! If anything it detracts from the Bay window as your eye is drawn to the odd height.

jessa61 thanked User
  • jessa61
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ahh super, I will most definitely block it up. Ed, I do understand what you mean, if it's a nice window, but honestly it's just so awful. You have this lovely view out to the garden through the bay but that window looks out to the fence. So you walk into the room and just see the fence. It takes the focus away from anything else. To me, it makes best sense to close it as I doubt we would leave the blinds open, after having done the building work anyway, nevertheless thank you for raising the issue :)

• E D
    5 years ago

Hmm, it may not have the most pleasing proportions and it may be hideous thanks to the curtains and pellet, but I feel with some careful stylish 'dressing' it may well be a fine source of light.

The fact it is different in size to the bay window in itself I do not see as a problem. Neither that they are adjacent.

• jessa61
    Original Author
    5 years ago

A fair point :) what would you suggest? I'm happy with the blocking the window up with cupboards idea but always happy to look at other options. I, myself, was clueless so all suggestions are welcomed

• jessa61
    Original Author
    5 years ago

A fair point :) what would you suggest? I'm happy with the blocking the window up with cupboards idea but always happy to look at other options. I, myself, was clueless so all suggestions are welcomed

• Emily
    5 years ago
    I just searched storage around bedroom window and found loads, didn’t pick and choose just got a handful of the first pics shown.
    jessa61 thanked Emily
  • Emily
    5 years ago
    Forgot pics
    jessa61 thanked Emily
  • Emily
    5 years ago
    The pics show windows of varying shapes and with carefully considered planning I’m sure you’ll fit tall storage plus some low storage that perhaps a tv can go on.
    jessa61 thanked Emily
  • Emily
    5 years ago
    Oh just wanted to say built in bedrooms can look awful or fab, IMO they need careful thought of both layout and material.
    jessa61 thanked Emily
  • Emily
    5 years ago
    Ps forgot to say that the bedroom is a great size and I love the light that two large windows will afford :)
    jessa61 thanked Emily
  • jessa61
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oooo that's also a lovely idea. Thank you for taking the time to find the photos. Definitely food for thought and a viable option :)

• Juliet Docherty
    5 years ago

I wouldn't block up a window unless it was so small to make no difference, this one isn't. Go in there on a bright day and close the curtains of the higher window and see if you are happy, that may swing it for you.

jessa61 thanked Juliet Docherty
  • jessa61
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hmm i can fully see your point. The problem is, if I don't close up the window, I don't know where to put the wardrobes as the gap, either side of the higher window, isn't as large as it looks and would only fit one tall cupboard either side when ideally I would want 2 x double wardrobes

• minnie101
    5 years ago

if you wanted to keep the window you could do this with wardrobes opposite, chair in bay and tv wall mounted over a chest on a swing arm bracket on the door wall

jessa61 thanked minnie101
  • Emily
    5 years ago
    What are the exact dimensions of windows door and space either side?
    jessa61 thanked Emily
  • Emily
    5 years ago
    Just asking since it looks like there’s plenty of depth and width for maybe 3m of wardrobes opposite the window in question. If you put wardrobes there you could dress the window as Minnie showed with the bed under the window and have room for bedside tables. Then a chest on the remaining wall with a tv on. I’d put a a large plant on the chest to stop the tv being so noticeable when you walk in the bedroom door though :). Actually think the bedroom would look very attractive that way. And the way Minnie’s curtains are means you have light from that window but the view is obscured leaving just the bay to draw the eye outwards.
    jessa61 thanked Emily
  • Emily
    5 years ago
    Ps I would have the bay curtains the same colour as whatever colour you have the wall and paint the radiator the same too. And if you did the bedroom as Minnie showed it will probably be cheaper since you can go freestanding with furniture.
    jessa61 thanked Emily
  • jessa61
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you all for your hekp so in terms if sizing, there's 95cm to the left of the window, the window itself is 1metre 96cm and to the right is 98cm. It is 3 metres 60cm from the high window wall to tbe other side. Thank you Minnie for the suggestion, my only concern was that it may make the entrance a little corridor like with the wardrobes but I suppose I don't have to take the wardrobes all the way to the end. That is so clever with the curtains! Sorry if I'm being daft but do you have a full length pole so you can shut them rather than two separate poles? Would that be too much curtain when you consider the large bay next to it?

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

I don't think the bed in the bay under the window will work. You have a large radiator under the bay and the bed would sit against this. Hence suggesting that you block the higher window and have wardrobes on that wall with the bed opposite.

If you block the window, you don't have to stop at just using wardrobes for the block. ( That was the cheapest option )

You could in fact take out the window properly and then have a dressing room for instance. The world is your oyster with the window gone.....................go mad...................

jessa61 thanked User
  • jessa61
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you so much for your helpful suggestions :) Sorry i think i may have misunderstood the measurements i gave. The measurements i gave were of the higher window (not bay) and the space either side of it. I do agree with you though, i don't think the bed would fit in the bay and whilst i can move the radiator (as the whole house is having new plumbing/pipes), it fits quite neatly placed under the window.

I really like the separate dressing room you created but as i only have 95cm there i am wondering if it is big enough? It certainly looks great though! I think if i can fit a separate walk in wardrobe that would, to me, be my preferred of all the wonderful options suggested :)

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

I didn't fit the dressing room in to the 95cm gap............i took the window out and the bed goes on the ex-window wall. You might see i'm determined to get rid of the window .... ha ha ha

jessa61 thanked User
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago

HI I didn't use the 95cm gap. I got rid of the window and then put the bed on the ex-window wall...............determined to get rid of it, ha ha ha

jessa61 thanked User
  • Emily
    5 years ago
    Lol Math! It’s funny how we sort of get invested in how other people’s places turn out isn’t it? And here I want the window to stay! :)
  • E D
    5 years ago

Do you really want your oyster to be a dark world?...

:-)

• jessa61
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ahhh that makes sense. You really do dislike that window. It's tricky because it's so big and unhelpfully high although I suppose it's size is why some people really want it to stay. My personal preference would be to take it out but as we're doing so much to the house it just isn't financially feasible so it's looking at the next best option. I still like the idea of building the wardrobes over the window but all the views of wanting the window to stay is making me think it may be a bad idea. I really like the drssing room but can't see room for that because of the darn window. I do have time to decide as the structual work and rewiring isn't starting until early October. Will definitely post photos when done :)

• E D
    5 years ago

Most bedrooms (probably) don't have two aspect windows and if you feel you don't need that second window or the light it emits, nothing or no one should stop you blocking it :)

• E D
    5 years ago

Would I block it?....

:)

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

I'm with E D. The people that like the light that the window gives aren't the ones trying to live with the room. Adding light is not a good enough excuse for keeping it. You have a perfectly good window already. It's usable space that you need, hence blocking with Wardrobes. I honestly believe that the room will look better for it. Good luck x

jessa61 thanked User
  • jessa61
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you everyone for your help. you've all given me good options so i will have a play around :)

• Anna Corcoran O'Callaghan
    5 years ago

Hi Jessa, i agree with Man about the house, i would build the robes across the window as the bay is large enough to give sufficient light to the room, it would really solve the dilemma you're in, good luck with the project & look forward to seeing the end result, :)

jessa61 thanked Anna Corcoran O'Callaghan
  • PRO
    The JOY of Blinds and Shutters
    5 years ago

Have you considered shutters? They give a real ‘wow’ factor and really make a feature of both rectangular and bay windows.

You said your bay window looks out on the back garden. With shutters you can adjust the louvres to allow as little or as much ‘view-through’ into the garden. They would also give the privacy you need in a bedroom, as well as making the room dark enough for sleeping when the louvres are completely closed.

You said you’re not changing the structural element of the room or the windows. By having shutters within the apertures, they would not get in the way of any cupboards or other modifications you might eventually make to the room.

Another asset of shutters is that it doesn’t matter if windows are at different heights. Having the same product across all windows in a space creates a lovely considered and unified look.

Also, when windows are above radiator (as in your square bay) and you have long curtains, you tend to lose heat behind the curtains. As shutters are insulating and fitted above the radiator, they can be used to reflect the radiator heat into your room.

In a nutshell, shutters create a lovely aesthetic look in a room. You don’t need to dress the windows in any other way as they are a wow factor in their own right. Shades of white will make the room appear even larger. Alternatively, they can be colour-matched to your walls, flooring, bedding, etc. Yes, I have a passion for shutters! Joy

jessa61 thanked The JOY of Blinds and Shutters
  • jessa61
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for your detailed reply about blinds, it was most helpful :) I do think we'll go for blinds as whilst i like curtains and in light of everyone' suggestions it seems like the best option

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.