webuser_554486461

How to restore a fiberglass shower tray

elizabeth raina
5 years ago

A fiberglass shower tray can be an attractive feature in any home, but one of the problems with this material is not easy to accept color. This fact may not be a problem at first glance, but if your fiberglass shower tray becomes boring and unattractive, you may want to apply a paint on top to cover the worst parts. To repair your fiberglass shower tray with a different color, you must prepare your surface thoroughly and apply the correct type of paint.

Step 1 - Prepare your fiberglass shower tray
Make sure your fiberglass shower tray is thoroughly clean. You must remove any dirt, soap residue, or debris before you can start repairing. Remove the sealant at the edges with a sharp spatula or a razor, but be careful not to damage the shower tray yourself. Wipe the entire area with a little bleach cleaner.

Step 2 - Sand the fiberglass shower tray
Now you sand down the surface of your shower tray. The sanding helps the paint find sublime surfaces to which it can adhere. As an alternative to using a grinder, you can try steel wool, although this requires more energy. This sanding process should remove the glossy surface of your glass fiber. Clean the dust, then place the masking tape and tarpaulin over the bathroom area. You may want to cover the drain with tape to protect it.

Step 3 - Paint your fiberglass shower tray
The way to apply paint to fiberglass is to spray it. You must first spray on the primer, which will bond with the sanded surface and provide something for the paint. Apply the primer in a light, regular spray from one side to the other. You may need to apply 2 coats of primer to ensure that your shower tray is completely covered.

Comment (1)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.