kariccina

Kitchen colours & finishing touches - help

Karen
5 years ago
Hi all,

We moved into our house 2 months ago, after a 6 month long refurb project. We are exhausted with decision making, running out of inspiration and could really do with some help finalising our kitchen.

The units are painted in Dulux Night Jewels 2 & 6. We need to decide on wall colours and tiling/splashback. We like the fired earth High Society Gatsby tile (see sample in photo) but not sure if there is anything better that we could go for.

Questions that we're battling with:

1) Should we tile the enitre splasback wall/area from kettle to the right of the extractor hood? Or just behind the hob?

2) Re: wall colours, should we paint all in same colour, or feature wall only?

3) What colours would be suitable? (really open to anything at this point!)

We have ordered 3x welles mango/brass stools for the island. And a dark wood live edge dining table (yet to arrive).

The kitchen is East facing and is very well lit.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (64)

• Juliet Docherty
    5 years ago

Also, just a thought, the gorgeous chocolatey colours of the stool work so well, I wonder if it would be possible to get a flat weave rug that contained pale greys and warm browns. The brown seems to give it all some warmth.

• Karen
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    We have a matching live edge dining table that we're yet to assemble, and thought it would be good to have a very large rug to go underneath. Or were you thinking to place it somewhere else? See attached photos for dining area (excuse temporary plastic furniture!)
  • Related Discussions

HELP with living room layout/ finishing touches etc

Q

Comments (37)
    Dont feel overwhelmed take your time its just a matter of trying things and see how you feel in the space, Its difficult to feel the space from a photo so take what you like and see how you feel ! You are getting there, it would be good if the desk could go elsewhere ,but if it needs to be in the room then so be it, we work around it! the curtains are fine they really suit the window etc! You dont have to use the red in the picture, you can always pick up the grey, white or gold for cushions! wall sconces look beautiful and yes you do seem to go for the classic look which is lovely! but these days you can mix and match a bit! Your choices are great I am sure we will be able to help you make this space one you are happy with!
    ...See More

Ikea kitchen finishing touches - what worktop and splashback?

Q

Comments (7)
    How about making a concrete worktop. This isn't beyond the ability of a fairly competent DIYer. There are lots of YouTube videos to help and the worktops can be practically any colour and add a personal touch. The materials are extremely cheap. We have recently made concrete tops for within our larder to see whether is really as easy as it looks, and are delighted with the results.
    ...See More

Finishing touches to kitchen/diner rennovation

Q

Comments (10)
    Hi, This looks fab! It looks like you're well on your way. Have you thought about a blind rather than curtains? As your window is above your sink, a blind such as a wipe-clean Roller, Vertical or Fauxwood blind are really smart choices. You might find fabric curtains get in the way - if you're set on a soft fabric, a made-to-measure Roman blind might fit in better. As for colours, a warm neutral would look nice, or a sage or olive green as mentioned. Here are a few pictures for some colour inspiration. Good luck with the rest of your renovations and a Happy New Year! Zoe
    ...See More

Kitchen paint & finishing touches

Q

Comments (12)
    The cashmere is warm, the floor is warm and the wall colour works. I would paint one wall the colour of the worktop to tie it together. The wall behind the table is the obvious option, remove the tiny picture and try to get a mid to dark toned warm grey - go darker than you think you need. I would do it from the corner where the door hinge is. It will cosy the space up and probably make it look bigger. You have enough warm colours to counter any cooling effect hopefully. I painted one wall in my dining room like this and it really cosied it up.
    ...See More
  • Juliet Docherty
    5 years ago

Wow, what a room. You could mirror the same colour on the opposite wall.

Contemporary Dining Room · More Info

• Karen
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Wow, love that! It looks like the wall next to it is a light grey? Perhaps I could choose a light grey for walls around kitchen, dark grey pattern tiles and same dark grey on wall opposite the kitchen?

I'd also like to blend in the adjoining living room, and thought to use that colour there. (as per photo). So not sure if it will be too much of the dark grey...
  • Juliet Docherty
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Here are some more pictures from the same house. The link should show you more. I think the warm caramel colours also really help make it successful.

A light grey sounds nice, but your floor looks to be a slightly warmer colour?

Contemporary Kitchen · More Info

Contemporary House Extensions · More Info

• Karen
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    More food for thought.. thanks! A lot to think about. So many possibilities! I'm going to see if I can find a nice dark pattern tile. That might help narrow the options for wall colours..
  • Heather
    5 years ago
    That is a beautiful kitchen!
    I agree with the comments above - those tiles are lovely but would be a bit of an overkill on the whole brass theme - I would just stick to things which are actually made of metal being a brass colour!

I also agree that a darker coloured splash back would really balance out the dark colour of the island, I think the idea of a feature tile centrally with the rest more plain metro tiling could really work. I would continue the plain tiling all alone the back wall underneath the wall units...
  • Karen
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks Heather! I'm looking for grey patterned tile samples now.. if anyone knows of suppliers with great collections please let me know :-)
  • minnie101
    5 years ago

You could try Bert and May, I was trying to have a look for you but I can't get into their website

• Karen
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Progress is slow... but I'm liking the look of this new tile, matching the colour of the island. What does everyone think? Across the entire splashback or just have it as a feature behind the hob, and a different tile across?
  • Sonia
    5 years ago

Etruscan tiles are my favourite tiles ever! Wonderful on the floor and as a splash back. As the kitchen is so neutral I think all round would look great. Beautiful.

• Karen
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks forzaitalia! I am hitting roadblocks with all the beautiful options and decisions required.... but I think this tile could be a goer :-)
  • Ellie
    5 years ago
    Love the tile on the left, dislike the one on right. Tile all along. Definitely not both!
  • Karen
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi all, this tiling is really challenging me. In particular because I don't know what to do with the wall behind the sink, inc. the window sill. Would you tile that too? If yes, then it will impact tile choices and would more likely keep the pattern tile as a feature behind the hob, and then choose a different tile all the way around.
  • minnie101
    5 years ago

I don't think you need to tile the sink wall Personally. I would either tile the whole wall or just in a straight line under the cabinets So just use one tile. I like the tile, can you take a picture of it against the floor? Is your table now up and if so what chairs do you have? I also came across this tile by Ted Baker, not yet out, and wasn't sure what you thought as it seemed to tie in with the floor (Although not the art!)? The dining wall might work in a purple brown or maybe a chestnut brown (neptune do one) although colour is not my forte!

• Fran H
    5 years ago
    I like the kitchen as it is. If the paint on the sink and hob walls are not wipeable I’d just put a glass splashback behind the hob. I agree with colourhappy regarding painting the dining back wall the same colour as the island. Brass lamps would great on it and balance the kitchen.
  • Karen
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Wow, lovely minnie, thank you! I'll take a picture of tile next to floor later.

Re dining table, it's not up as the area is currently being used as a dumping ground for builders. But this should clear up in the next 2 - 3 weeks. For dining chairs, I was hoping for some nice colour velvet ones, although not decided on colour just yet. E.g. photos, from cultfurniture.co.uk :
  • Sonia
    5 years ago
    Looking at the tight area behind the sink, how about attaching a window sill board to the window sill? You can then paint it white in either gloss, satin or eggshell. The MDF ones aren’t expensive and come ready primed. Thinking it through I think maybe just tiling behind the cooker would look really good. Paint the rest in a washable paint. I like your choice (the one on the left) way above all other suggestions. :-)
  • Emmanuelle
    5 years ago
    It’s going to be gorgeous! I would personally just put tiles behind the hob; I would use encaustic tiles to add colours, textures and patterns!
    I would use a greige on the walls, more beigey than grey, to go with your lovely floor tiles ( which I love too!).
    ps: I love your stools!
  • Sal89
    5 years ago
    A bit late! But had to comment, love your kitchen, LOVE the tiles and the stools. Where did you purchase the stools from? Although I love the tiles it would be nice to bring in that chocolate brown in tiles somewhere. Would really like to see what you did with it in the end so please show us the end result!
  • Karen
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi there, thanks! I've been away from home so I haven't been able to post more pictures of tiles vs. floor etc. I have more samples on order as I agree there is something missing in the grey one...

Re stools, they were from Swoon and I absolutely love them! Unfirtunately they seem to have run out of that model, but they have the following similar ones:

Same height, different colour

https://www.swooneditions.com/welles-wood-steel-industrial-style-kitchen?utm_term=orsonkitdis

Same colour, different height

https://www.swooneditions.com/welles-mango-wood-brass-industrial-bar-stool?utm_term=wellesstoolbarbrass
  • Sal89
    5 years ago
    I’m sure it will look beautiful in the end. I think once you have some nice accessories On the island to give it a pop of colour it will really come together. I’m getting ideas together now for our renovation but can see it being very stressful and lots of hard decisions! You are nearly there! Thanks for the link for stools.
  • PRO
    AluSplash
    5 years ago

Karen, your kitchen renovation is simply beautiful! I wanted to suggest if you would be interested in considering our splashbacks as an option to complete the look of your interior.

Please take a look at our website: www.alusplash.com

Also, on our Houzz page, you will see a recent project with Benchmarx in the UK, where they have a white kitchen and an accent of our Olive green which just lifts the whole space.

You could choose to go for a darker shade to add an element of luxury to compliment your gorgeous lights and stools - perhaps Blueberry!

We would be happy to send you samples, should you like to consider our splashback panels.

AluSplash® is an aluminium-based kitchen splashback and interior wall panel, which is an ideal alternative to glass, acrylic and tiled splashbacks.

Offering a high gloss look-and-feel at a fraction of the cost, AluSplash is affordable, easy to install, clean and maintain. AluSplash is not only fire-resistant and safe to use behind all popular cooktops.

Available in a wide range of vibrant and earthy colours, AluSplash lends a sleek and contemporary look to any residential, commercial and retail space.

• Karen
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi all! more tile samples with photos next to floor / island / hob. What do you think?
  • Karen
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I'm liking the look of the first two as they seem to blend in with both the floor and island...
  • Karen
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Also the third one as it includes mustard/brown colours... and gives various options for matching accessories.
  • Ellie
    5 years ago
    You changed the order in the pic? in the 2nd pic, with island, I prefer 2 and 3.

However some clearly create a pattern and I am only basingmy preference on color, I would need to see the pattern to see if liked it too.
  • PRO
    Art Decor Designs
    5 years ago

HI

Because you have really nice gold/brass warm colour lamps and on the stool legs and handles etc I would paint the walls a really nice warm gold colour which would go very well.

You also have this colour in your painting.

I would tile right across above the worktop with gold/ and trim with black glass mosaic tiles.

Think this colour scheme would look great.

Jean, Art Decor Designs

• rachelmidlands
    5 years ago
    Hi Karen. Have just been admiring your kitchen:) it looks fab so far, can’t wait to see the live edge table as well. As far as tile choices go I looked them up as Ellie said it’s hard to judge without seeing what the overall pattern is. Are most of them from tiles direct? I’ve seen some I like myself on their website, nice selection. Ok, so my vote goes for either no.3 or 7 (left to right from picture with hob). 3 has more defined colour and may perhaps suit the multi colour chairs and your artwork. 7 is fairly dark but adds that contrast with the island, do think this would need a deep colour on the opposite side of the room behind table tho as in colourhappy’s suggestion.
  • Karen
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi all, thanks for the feedback! We are now mostly drawn to these three tiles. All are from Tiles Direct, I will post photos of full patterns.
  • Karen
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Full patterns...
  • Karen
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I'm mostly drawn to 3 and 1, husband likes 2....
  • rachelmidlands
    5 years ago
    Tough choice. Here some other pics which may help a little.
  • Sonia
    5 years ago
    They’re all lovely, but I suppose I like the first one best, but whichever one you choose would look good.
  • Ellie
    5 years ago
    My preference has now completely changed. My favourite based on just seeing the individual tile was the one with dark grey and seeing it now in full and how it makes circles it is really different!
  • Sal89
    5 years ago
    Hi I would say the second one with the grey and brown tones. I think the tones will suit your kitchen more and compliment it.
  • Karen
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The more I get familiar with these 3 tiles in my kitchen, the more I'm leaning on no. 3. It seems to blend in with the island, floor and black appliances.. I will be making a decision one way or the other this weekend.
  • rachelmidlands
    5 years ago
    Here’s a thought. If it’s possible maybe you could do lots of print outs or photocopy’s of each tile. Cut them out and attach to the wall. A kind of try before you buy:-) you could then see which arrangement you like best then as well before committing to the real thing.
  • Juliet Docherty
    5 years ago

I was just looking at these tiles which have some interesting colours in them, cool and warm (like your cupboards and floor) and some dark like your island. Both from Mandarin Stone.

https://www.mandarinstone.com/product/oblique-latte-mix-decor-porcelain/

https://www.mandarinstone.com/product/mod-encaustic-grey-porcelain/

• Karen
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    colourhappy, they are gorgeous. Thank you! Ordering samples now.

Love your idea rachel, I might give it a go :-)
  • Karen
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Update: MS samples have arrived. Really liking no. 1 (from left).
  • Karen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oops.. forgot the photo!

• T Gray
    5 years ago

The first one does look right doesn't it. Now do what Rachel above suggested. Photocopy it and play with the pattern to see if it should be just a cooker backsplash or will work in the rest of the space too. And post photos of course!

• Karen
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes I've been wondering how I should play with the pattern, but I have no Photoshop skills to speak of! Also not sure how many tile pattern varieties there are and what I'll end up with when I order, they are sent randomly and I only ordered 6 to get a selection. I might have to work out the pattern after I've received the full lot.
  • Juliet Docherty
    5 years ago

They do look nice. They seem to complement the warm and cool of your cupboards and floor. Maybe phone the shop or pop in to ask about pattern. The image seems to show them being used in a random way, it looks great.

• rachelmidlands
    5 years ago
    The oblique mix looks fab. The colours look great and the pattern although random is not too busy looking. I think this is a winner. Good shout Colourhappy:-). X
  • Karen
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi all, progress is slow but the builders will be back to finish in 3 weeks or so. We're definitely decided on the oblique latte mix - thanks for the suggestion colourhappy!

So now we need to decide on paint colours, and I agree with the suggestions of the dark grey on the opposite wall to match the island. But I'm not sure what to do with the rest of the walls. Any thoughts? What would you do?
  • Karen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi all... I can't believe how long it's been, but I'm delighted that the tiling was finally done yesterday! Here are some photos.. still lots to do as you can see... need more furniture and finishing touches.

Wall colours seem strange in photo but they look much better in person..

Thanks colourhappy for the tile suggestion, we love it!

• Sonia
    4 years ago

Wow that looks good, a bit different to the usual choices! Well done!

Just to let you know there have been problems with Houzz’s notifications, that is we weren’t getting them so you were not being ignored! :-D

• Karen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

No problem, I'm very grateful for all the advice received :-) I just hope it won't take me another 8 months to sort out finishing touches lol

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.