atz_r

mix/match countertops with Moroccan floor tiles + ques re cooker hobs

atz_r
5 years ago
Hi,

We are finally renovating our kitchen and would like some advice please about a) overall colour scheme, b) installing 2 different types of kitchen worktops: granite/slate and wood, and c) positioning of a cooker hob. We are new to renovating and learning on the job! We bought our first house recently and are slowly doing it up.

The kitchen is smallish and J-shaped with no island. There is a separate laundry room which houses the fridge/freezer and washing machine.

COLOUR SCHEME: Our style preference is classical/country cabinetry in neutral shade as we would like to keep the Moroccan style floor tiles we installed when we first moved in (brighten up a 20+ yr old kitchen) see picture included. I prefer the warmer creams/ browns, hubby prefers grey. Either way we would like to accentuate the busy tiles, so any suggestions would be great.

WORKTOPS: We are considering granite/slate worktops (depending on cost) across where the hob and sink will be situated and a dark wooden worktop across the 3rd section. Most of the pictures of mix and match countertops seem to involve and island. Thus would appreciate advice on whether mix and match countertops will work side by side in a smaller kitchen. Also any advice to avoid worktops clashing with floor tiles will be great.

COOKER HOB; given size of kitchen, we are considering positioning the gas cooker hob near/above a water stop tap and will straddle 2 base units. Can we position a gas cooker hob near the mains water valve? I have read anywhere that it’s recommended not to do this, but given my lack of knowledge prefer to ask a ‘simple’ question than make an inaccurate assumption!
Also, design wise the gas cooker hob will straddle 2 base units due to the size of the corner unit - will this look weird?

Sorry for the long message and multiple questions - as it’s our first kitchen renovation I have lots of questions as we plan this out to minimise and ‘oopsies’ later on. I would really appreciate any advice

Many thanks in advance

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.