lisajrule

Advice on how to warm up kitchen with colours and textures

LJ Potter
16 September, 2018
last modified: 16 September, 2018

Any advice appreciated thank you. The back units appear a cool grey (LG french grey) - the wrong choice with the blue (LG juniper ash) and wall colour (F&B shaded white). I have debated roman blinds or nothing at the windows. Suggestions for lights, splashback and bar stools required too! Thank you

• Ellie
    I think it is the wall colour that isn't right. Possibly white would be better. Bigger statement pendants too.
  • forzaitalia
    What a beautiful kitchen. Classic country. In my eyes it is perfect, but maybe some Roman blinds may add a bit of colour. I agree the pendant lights are too small and get a bit lost, so how about something with more of a statement like this. Some blind ideas too, one colourful, one calmer.
  • LJ Potter

Thank you forzaitalia - classic country is exactly the look I would like. I find the blue reflects on to the grey and makes it look a cold colour. I will research some bigger pendants, as you say they are too small. We did a new build and there were so many decisions at once a couple of things like the lights and the splashback were left! Any ideas for roman blind colours appreciated that would warm up the room whilst incorporating the blue maybe or maybe I should ignore the blue. Thank you again.

• forzaitalia
    I think having to make so many choices in one go can be exhausting. Just choosing a wall paint has me obsessively researching colours and buying match pots until I can take no more! With regards to blinds, how about something with the blue and grey but with some orange in it? I chose a Scion fabric for my kitchen as I wanted to add some colour (my units are cream and the walls are duck egg blue). It’s not for everyone but I like it. They do a lot of retro Scandi style fabrics, but this may be veering away from the classic country look? May I suggest you go to Fashion Interiors website and scroll through? They do all the well known fabric brands.
    colourhappy

The chopping board stands out, some warm wood may help. Amber or brown lights above the island and warm leather chairs (if wood is too uncomfortable would be my suggestion).

LJ Potter thanked colourhappy
  • Ribena Drinker

I think this is one of the problems of having the ubiquitous grey kitchen.

I would (as Forzaitalia says) get bigger pendant lights.

I would also look at getting pretty roman blind in a country style. If you're not keen on floral, you could have a country check or a vertical stripe, or even something like this in a roman blind:-

whatever you choose, I'd steer clear of even more grey or cold blues.

Perhaps you could find a bigger more colourful bowl for fruit on the island or a chunky colourful vase?

LJ Potter thanked Ribena Drinker
  • minnie101

Hi. It's a beautiful kitchen. i don't know what you think of this, perhaps slightly more french than English country Though?! I'd go for an antiqued mirror splashback, to bounce a bit more light. For bar stools, the teak and rattan in the last pic and I'd add more chopping boards where you have yours, as per 3rd pic. The lights come with either silver "baubles" or gold but I think I prefer the silver but have shown both. The vintage French bits are from etsy (ignore where I placed them btw!)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/599616926/antique-terracotta-bowl-vintage-bowl?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=terracotta%20bowl&ref=sr_gallery-1-2

LJ Potter thanked minnie101
  • LJ Potter

Thank you all for your comments, kind words about our kitchen and brilliant advice. I agree with you all! I will look for larger pendants and a country check or strip blind - my dilemma on that is colour but I think if I add more wood touches and some terracotta too (good idea minnie101) then it won't matter so much.

minnie101 - you are very helpful as always. I love the stools - found on cox & cox however annoyingly the seat height is 80cm - I have measured up and 70cm would be better. I will have a google. Will rattan attract the dust (my only concern)? The pendants are great too - where are they from? I am not sure about the splashback - I was thinking tiles but open to ideas. Just not sure what colour tiles!

Thank you everyone

• minnie101

Hi LJ. Sorry I didn't check the stool height but even looking at the picture they're too high :( will see if I can find some more. The lights were from Oka. I haven't got a rattan seat like that but I've got both bentwood and wishbone chairs with woven seats and haven't found dust an issue at all

• E D

Great kitchen.

I can't really find much if anything to fault. (OK, maybe the wreath...your chimney doesn't want something black-ish on top I feel )

As suggested already perhaps add some natural wooden items. A large wooden bowl on the island would look nice. Oh and a clock with a wooden frame (Instead if the black)?

And I for one like your current pendants.

• minnie101

Maybe something like this if you want tiles? (With a few less chopping boards and the tiles look a bit smaller than my awful photoshop!)

• forzaitalia
    Those tiles look fabulous Minnie!
    colourhappy

I second those tiles, they look fabulous. The dull red works, bright red would be too much.

• karenslater261162

I added tiles too - it's really warmed the space and given it some personality.

Excuse the mantel decor - still work in progress.

Before

After

• karenslater261162

Not sure if you like the colour scheme/style but here is a better images showing the blind and stools - excuse the mess in this one!

• E D

Lovely tiles, karenslater. Suit very well.

If I may be overly critical, I feel the seat pads' colour and the light blue painted wall above the worktop don't seem to go together that well.

• karenslater261162

Of course you can be critical, and I agree, the pads need to be recovered later but aren't as

blue as they look in the photo (in fact they don't look blue at all - I think the led lights make them look blue in the photo) but the colour is still not quite right The wall colour is also darker than in the photo F&B oval room blue.

• E D

Ah, the pad looks fine! :)

I also just noticed your second post photo (our posts as crossed). Looks great.

• embzop

Maybe adding some blue accessories would add some more colour and warmth. There are blues in the violet end of the spectrum that feel warm. Some blue glass vases or bottles on the window sills perhaps.

West London Villa · More Info

• LJ Potter
    Thank you all. I like the wooden clock idea and the bright tiles. I found your minnie101 on Devol but cant find actual tiles. Do you think either of these could work? Both fired earth ( it is only a metre square so the cost isnt too bad! ). Thank you
  • LJ Potter
    ED thank you for your lovely comment. I agree on the wreath - looking at karenslaters pics I will take it down and do something more like that!
  • minnie101

Oh, it must be a deVol kitchen, they're pradena by Bert and May. Excuse the worse than ever photoshop, I've got contact lenses in which aren't my prescription and struggling to see anything up close :) I like the first one with the amber and brick tones but wondering if the 2nd works better as it seems to pick up all your colours (the floor looks to have a greeny tone?). It isn't as warm as the first but teamed with terracotta I think could work really well? I know I've put a pile of chopping boards there but I'd probably just remove the clock as it distracts a little from your windows which are lovely

Litecraft

Hi LJ, How are you getting on with your kitchen?

Here's a little design I've done for you which i think will warm up the space. I've given you an accent wall of Spiced Honey which is Dulux's Colour of the year for 2019. I've also added the tiles you were looking at which sit great against the accent wall.

Our [Industrial Diner 3 Light Pendant in Brass[(https://www.houzz.co.uk/products/industrial-3-light-diner-style-ceiling-pendant-brass-finish-prvw-vr~112396556) would look perfect over your kitchen island together with our complimenting [Industrial Wall Light[(https://www.houzz.co.uk/products/industrial-1-light-diner-style-wall-light-brass-finish-prvw-vr~112396562) to give more light to the room. Terracotta tones work great with brass finishes so I've added some plant pots in terracotta and a brass fruit bowl for you. I've swapped your clock for a subtle green version which ties in with the tiles and I've added some earthy toned blinds. What do you think?

Hope this helps, if you have any questions feel free to contact us by emailing at customerservice@litecraft.co.uk or by calling 0161 349 4777.

Thanks Ashley at Litecraft

• LJ Potter

Hi everyone... it has taken time but finally we have a splashback and some lights! I added a bit more wood too to warm it up. Just thought I'd post an update to show you all who kindly commented and helped me. No blinds yet... still debating whether to or not!

• forzaitalia

That looks fab LJ. Love the splashback. Well done!

• Monica

What a gorgeous space this is now, those tiles are gorgeous <3

• E D

Looks sophisticated and stylish. Nice.

Schmidt Kitchens Fulham

I 100% agree with the pendant lights/bulbs. Any bigger shade might help together with darker colour. Just for a pop of colour I would go for some colourful pots - see the picture.

• Carolina

Really nice!

• Maths Wife

Lovely, did you end up painting the island a different colour? The darker green of your tiles would look perfect.

MALLETT LONDON

The white stone work top looks much better when its contrasted against a darker colour. You've got a lovely fireplace surround that i'd paint the same as the units.Go darker with the units and darker with the surround. Look at changing the ironmongery to a brushed brass. Look into splash bak options behind stove,copper,natural stone etc.

• Ribena Drinker

FWIW, personally, I feel it's advisable to read the whole of the thread before commenting. But bear in mind I'm not a professional though........

I think it's looks great now OP, the changes have really brought it all together, you must be very pleased with the result.

• Ribena Drinker

E D where did you go?

• E D

Haha Ribena, I thought you said it much better!

• Alison Maparura

Hello, I don't normally comment but you have inspired me to get on and do my splashback, been using some propped up flooring for two years. I have bought various sample tiles and now have some pretty trivets and placemats ! Your kitchen looks much more inviting and together with a few changes and good choices. I really like the tiles, sadly don't think green will suit my kitchen but where did you get them ? Hoping they might have something for me. thanks Ali.

• LJ Potter

Hi Alison, the tiles were from fired earth. I would also look at topps tiles as I had to wait 3 months for them! It took me 18 months to decide so another 3 months didn't really matter! I am pleased with them - they pull the kitchen together. Good luck with your splashback.

• Alison Maparura

thanks, many of my trivets are from Topps lol..I'm going to start looking again and remember you were right to wait, it looks fab.