flipping an existing staircase 180 degrees

HU-643440133
17 September, 2018
Hi guys. I am buying a property, the stairs of which are just in totally the wrong direction. They ascend upwards towards the front of the house rather than towards the back. Has anyone had their stairs in this orientation and got someone to fix it? Just makes the flow wrong when you walk in and it just feels like dead space. Does anyone know what this work might cost? I would look to retain the existing staircase if not too wrecked from being pulled out.

Man About The House - The DIY & Odd Job Handyman

You wouldn't be able to quote for it / decide it's an option unless you knew what the implications were on the 1st floor. What is the layout?

• HU-643440133
    This is the ground floor and first floor. We are looking to do a loft conversion too and need to speak to the architect about whether the stairs can be switched round. I can’t see any problems from a head room perspective. Open to new stairs as well. Just wondered if the old ones could be salvaged (it’s a 1930s property).

You wouldn't be able to salvage the stairs unless you moved them to the opposite side of the Hallway as the dog leg at the bottom would be on the wrong side. To be fair, i've ordered a couple of sets of stairs from Topflight Stairs on line and they're really reasonable, so I don't think it would be worth saving them. It's easy enough to put them in if you know what you're doing. Other than that, yes it would probably work well.

Verity & Beverley Ltd

As MATH says it is highly unlikely you would be able to save the existing stairs, and if you did the stringer, balustrade and dog leg are unfortunately all the wrong way round. Much easier to strip it all out and start again.

Another place to look at for new stairs is stairbox https://www.houzz.co.uk/pro/stairbox/stairbox https://www.stairbox.com/ a previous client of ours has used a staircase from them and for the price it looked very nice.

Is the loft conversion done? Is the here opportunity to find a way of having both sets of stairs above each other?
  • HU-643440133
    Thanks guys, requested a quote from the two companies mentioned above. What sort of price did you pay? Loft conversion not built yet although I suspect piggy backing stairs won’t be possible - see plans.
    One possible layout
    One possible layout