warren_green39

Convert bay window to fireplace

Warren G
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We moved into our house 3 years ago and we miss one thing a fire.

We want to get a wood burning stove but there is nowhere that it works in the room. The corners are too close to curtains or sofas.

We have a bay window in the middle of the room and we had considered putting a fire in it with the flue going up in front of the window but have decided that it just wouldn't look right.

Our last idea is to take out the main window and brick it up and build a false chimney in the middle to enclose the stove and make it look like it belongs there .

Obviously it is going to be expensive, but not as expensive as moving home. We love everything else about our home. We have plenty of light in the room from French doors and other windows so not concerned about that .

What do people think is it a good /bad idea? Also what would be the best way to visualise roughly what it might look like. Is there any good software I'm rubbish with photoshop.

Comments (18)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.