haus12

An Open Plan Kitchen - Balancing Granite & Copper

Haus12 Interiors
5 years ago

Mitchell Avenue · More Info

BRIEF - THE MITCHELL AVENUE KITCHEN

The homeowners for this large semi-detached established property needed a family and social kitchen. They were planning an extension to the rear of the property and installation of large bi-fold doors in order to create a open plan kitchen dining space. They knew they wanted a traditional kitchen style to match the age of the property but with a modern layout for their busy family lifestyle. And were very keen on being creative in the use of materials.

Before:

THE PROJECT

From the brief John McNeil, Haus12’s owner/designer knew that the material choices were key so invited the client to visit our stone fabricator to enable them to see the full size slabs of material to enable the clients to envisage the end result. From there they chose a material for an island with would be the primary feature of the space. Using that as a starting point the design centred around a large expansive kitchen island using the bold and organic Rainforest Green granite with heavy leather texture. The choice of such a strong dominating material led the rest of the design it was felt a simpler modern layout would balance out the design with a tall appliance wall at the far side and the large island taking the focus of the space. A dark graphite painted wood door complemented the bold natural stone worktop perfectly.

Before:

The client was keen to add a copper element into the space to accent the dark wood and compliment the green organic colours in the granite worktop. A 4-in-1 copper instant boiling tap was installed in the island alongside a bespoke copper breakfast bar, custom made by a local fabricator to our specifications. The lacquered and metallic copper finish added an industrial feel as well as adding to the glamour of the natural stone worktop. The wood doors were also finished with a copper cup handles to complement.

Inspired by the kitchen, the clients crafted their own unique island pendant lighting using a tree branch and oversized light bulb pendants.

Additional features to the kitchen were the reverse downturn to the end of the island to wrap a traditional style wood bookcase and the coffee centre built into a tall unit.

To summarise, this kitchen successfully brings drama and nature into a modern functional and social space by combining bold natural materials and textures to create a unique and stunningly beautiful open plan kitchen space. Using natural materials granite, copper, painted wood and the expansive bi-fold doors this kitchen genuinely brings the outdoors indoors.

We hope you enjoy!

Comments (12)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.