How to process? Who we should hire? Teach us!

28 September, 2018

I guess this is a very simple question for you all but please forgive me....

My husband and I are going to buy a detached house in the UK as a first time home buyer. We need to make some changes but not really sure who we should hire...

Followings are what we hoping for;

  • Break the wall and combine the kitchen and conservatory.
  • Install the nice and large window at the kitchen/living room.
  • Change the kitchen sinks to the bigger one and install the disposer and add the brita tap as well.
  • Change the all water taps type.
  • Change the bathroom fan switch; cable to button.
  • Change all carpets to wooden floor.
  • Make a carport out side of the house.

If we hire the architect, then he/she can give instructions to appropriate professional?

And what is the best way to find the trust worth architect/professionals?

I would be very much appreciated if someone very kind person reply me...

Floor plan attached.

Comments (2)

  • Jonathan
    I think you need a good quality general builder. Try to find one with several guys on the workforce so that there is a broad range of experience but you only have to deal with one person. I would get more than one firm around and look for local recommendations to help decide.

    The carport may require planning permission so seek the advice of your planning department at the local Borough Council.

    If your conservatory has a glass or polycarbonate roof it may not be thermally efficient to open it to the house. It may be better to keep doors to it from the main house or you could rebuild it to a higher standard.

    You should source the bifold door with the agreement of the builder that they are the correct size. Make sure you plan well and they arrive when the builder needs them.

    You should choose your own engineered wood floor and have the builder lay it.

    Best of luck
  • preciousmasa
    Thank you very much for your kind comment. Really appreciated!!!

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us on 0808 164 9310 (8am - 5pm GMT excluding weekends)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience using cookies

By continuing to browse this site or use this app, I agree the Houzz group may use cookies and similar technologies to improve its products and services, serve me relevant content and to personalise my experience. Learn more.