keswing

Colour scheme advice for open plan area

keswing
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Please help me stop looking at colour charts! Our kitchen, living and dining room extension has finally been built and now i'm hesitating about what colours to choose in case the lovely space we've had created is ruined by me making bad colour choices.

We've painted most walls Dulux Egyptian Cotton but want/need to add some colour as it’s looking very boring. In the living space with the roof light we’re thinking of having a dark brown on the wall with the two picture windows and either the same or another colour brown on the wall in the dining area which is currently painted mustard. We envision this wall will have floating oak shelves above a sideboard. Overall will this look too matchy? I’d like to add in a dirty mustard colour somewhere too but don’t know whether to introduce it as a wall colour or through accessories.

We like the fabric below and have been trying to use it as a basis for creating a colour scheme but in reality it’s proving tricky..

The kitchen units are a basalt brown/grey and the kitchen island is mocha. We're having Quick Step Picnic Ochre LVT flooring throughout. We also plan on having black and walnut pendant lights over the island and dark wood bar stools. We be using our existing reddish/brown leather sofa but other than that will need to buy new dining table, chairs etc.

I’ve attached pictures of the space and images we like below but have also created an ideas book called ‘The open plan colour scheme dilemma’.

I feel a huge pressure to get this right as so any advice would be great.

The Open plan colour scheme dilemma · More Info

(189) Pinterest · More Info

nordlux lighting black and walnut - Google Search · More Info

Private commission · More Info

(189) Pinterest · More Info

PUCL40093 | Picnic oak ochre | Quick-Step.co.uk · More Info

Comments (26)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.