christina_saunders62

Help ! Is an ensuite going to fit without ruining the master bedroom ?

Christina
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Master Bedroom and New Ensuite · More Info

Hi

I would really appreciate some advice. I can't decide how close to the bedroom doorway I can site an ensuite without it feeling like I'm walking into a wall!

I am going to change the door frame so the door opens onto the wall rather than the bedroom. If I do this so the door isn't a barrier will my eyes be drawn into the room rather that the wall of the ensuite in front of me? Or any other visual ideas I could add to lessen the impact?

We started off with the idea that we would site the ensuite in the study next to the bedroom but the architect has said that there is not enough of a run off to join up with the current plumbing and building regs wouldn't allow a soil pipe on the front of the house. We have been advised to site the ensuite on the outside wall of the main bedroom and have a new soil pipe installed instead.

We've also considered knocking into the study to make the room bigger, but after playing around with where the bed would go, it didn't seem to give us any benefit against the cost of knocking the wall down and putting in a lintel

So we are back to fitting an ensuite into the available space in the master bedroom.

My main concern in the bedroom is allowing enough space around the bed (we have a super king) and the area coming into the room.

To allow for the bed or to have 3 double wardrobes along the outside wall I've calculated the maximum width, including the stud wall can not exceed 140 cms and the minimum length i225 cms - this is taking into consideration the chimney breast and the depth of the wardrobe, the door into the ensuite and a shower cubicle

Our current wardrobes have been brought forward either side of the chimney breast so they all sit flush.

We plan on having a pocket door to save on space

Looking at the floor space again I think it would be better to make it narrower (maybe 120cms) , but if I do that i will need to make it longer to fit everything in and I don't know how much longer I can make it without it impacting on the entrance into the bedroom.

I've added photos of the bedroom currently (excuse my hideous carpet and boring decor), my graph paper drawings with measurements and my ideas and also the architects drawing.

I'd really appreciate anyone's input, ideas or experience.

Thank you

Christina

Comments (27)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.