daniellehinves83

fireplace chimney confusion

daniellehinves83
5 years ago
Hi all - we’re in process of buying this house, which has loads of potential and a great garden but needs a lot of work. I will get someone in to check this when we are actually in, but was hoping to try and understand the fireplace set up a bit more in advance.

From the floor plans I am assuming that upstairs would have also had to have had corner fire place originally and that the chimney has now been removed upstairs and replaced with cupboards, rendering the downstairs fireplaces useless (although I’m happy to still make a nice space of them). I did then see that upstairs/downstairs would usually have separate flues... but I assume still needs a chimney breast upstairs and based on this floor plan there is no where for the smoke to actually go, and therefore adding a wood burner downstairs is a no - go?

Is there anyone that has some experience of this - recognises the layout etc. The two downstairs rooms just have big holes into the chimney where the fireplaces used to be that we’ll need to do something with.

Appreciate any advice anyone can give ...

Comment (1)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.