jodie_lomax

Double Story Extension - any one else starting a project soon?

Jo L
5 years ago

Hi all,

So with planning passed, building regs submitted, builder in place, finances sorted (ish!!!)... we are hoping to start work in January! I would love to share this journey with others who are embarking on a building project. It would be great to share worries, woes, happiness and excitement! We will be sourcing alot of the "fixtures" ourselves (windows, doors, flooring) so also open to money saving tips and ideas! Attached a version of the drawings of what will be. Essentially we are creating a 4th bedroom, extra bathroom and creating a larger open plan kitchen living space across the back of the house.

Would love to hear more about your projects!

Comments (74)

• Jo L
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Pleased to hear this - although the fact you moved out scares me. Maybe I am under-estimating the scale of this job. We definately cannot move out but can stay with family if needed for short periods at a time.

Also hoping we don't go over the budget too much.
    What is the best way we can keep a tight track on things?
  • GardenFairyGodmother GFG
    5 years ago
    Our renovation was a complete gut job. Everything ripped out, re plastered walls , re wired, re plumbed, new boiler, 2 new bathrooms, new utility and kitchen. As well as flooring and decorating. We bought everything in the sales and stored it in the garage. I did have to compromise with the kitchen. it was my third choice due to budget. But it has the lay out I wanted ,with pull out larder, pan drawers, island unit, dishwasher, double oven, five burner hob and American fridge freezer. MDF carcasses instead of wood and laminate work top instead of quartz. Because we went into the loft, there were extras such as fire doors and wired in smoke and heat detectors. Also 2 sets of French doors instead of Bi-folds was much cheaper. So that dream of bi folds went out of the window very early on with the architect.
  • Related Discussions

The Garden Project! Starting from scratch - ideas welcome

Q

Comments (15)
    Thank you one and all for your suggestions, a good few things for us to think about. My apologies, I didn't really do a good job in explaining the style or anything! but the second image Carolina has suggested is the look and feel we would be going for. I really like the idea of using different materials and levels for the garden which we can achieve quite easily (I hope!) I have cleaned and stored all of the bricks from the chimney which was removed in the he house reno, and will be planning to build a flower bed, seat area along the left side (attached). I'm steering toward patio more so than decking especially given I can use the cover for the inspection chamber. Thanks for info on the cover guys! I am looking for low maintenance and have even considered adding (dare I say it) artificial turf. Better for slide tackling the kids! The idea of using diagonals is very clever and I shall give them some thought. Time to start sourcing materials and getting some quotes me thinks!
    ...See More

help! double storey rear vs single storey rear+loft conversion?

Q

Comments (14)
    Hi Heather! At Urbanist Architecture we love helping our clients get planning permission and turn their dreams into reality! We are a team of planners, architects and engineers and we had the chance to work on over 500 projects in London that are similar to yours! We would love to help you progress from a ‘’pipe dream’’ phase into something real and amazing. Just to give you an idea of what we do, please visit our website: https://urbanistarchitecture.co.uk/ After getting in touch with us, we will carry out a free initial feasibility report and will send you a quote. We will help you formulate a brief, prepare design options and submit your planning application. We are experts in our field so we will be advising you along the way in order to deliver your dream project stress-free. Don’t hesitate to contact us!
    ...See More

Enlighten my home extension/remodelling thoughts please!

Q

Comments (17)
    Thanks Jonathan, your suggestions have absolutely given me plenty of ideas. Very happy with the group floor layouts. I can see this is going to work really well. I may not extend that much on the left into the garden though(may be a couple of meters). I guess, this will affect the room/bath sizes in the attic that you proposed? What size of extension (just the formal living room, no garage) as a minimum do we need on the left to allow us to have a decent size double room and a bath? I was thinking 30m-35m2? For upstairs back bedroom, what if we do not extend back into the garden rather extend over the right side existing single storey (would give us approx 9m2)? What could be the layout then? Still need to have at least 4 beds with a master ensuite/dresser etc . and a family bath. Thanks!
    ...See More

Design dilemma - creative ideas to solve an extension dilemma! PLANS!

Q

Comments (11)
    Concerns about tree roots could be from the neighbours or due to a TPO. We’ve been through this recently and have designed our extension to avoid the entire tree protection area (based on an arboricultural report-a requirement for us even to apply for planning). Despite that we have planning conditions on storage of building supplies (not near any trees), not being able to change ground levels (eg around patio areas) and being required to dig manually, not use diggers for fear of damage to roots. An arboricultural consultant should be able to advise on where and how you can build in relation to the tree, and then you would need the Council to accept the consultant's opinion. I assume the vendors must have had an opinion to plot the protection area? Also my understanding is that TPO legislation overrides permitted development legislation. As we've several TPOs, we’ve got to know the local council tree officers, but it’s the best approach as there can be heavy fines if you get it wrong.
    ...See More
  • Gabby Wong
    5 years ago

Jo L - How long are you thinking it'll take to get done? Did you see there was a Houzz story about keeping a build on budget today? I think the advice about keeping a careful track, and having as much detailed on the builder's quote as possible would be good start.. I've also started writing a list of things that I can postpone buying, for a couple of months or sorting for a year or 2 if we start getting too tight on budget, eg - we want to update and change our ensuite and put in a walk in shower... but If need be that can wait a year or 2.. etc. or refitting the bit of the kitchen that will become a utility room

GFG - wow! that sounds like a massive job! What sort of things did you buy in advance in the sales? I've looked at things, but also don't know if builders will be able to get stuff cheaper via trade routes!

• kjka
    5 years ago

Hi Jo L,

Here we are too starting the same journey soon!

Our drawings are not finalised yet though and we haven't asked for permissions yet. But we hope to get the move next spring.

• Sal89
    5 years ago
    @GFG - that is exactly what we will be starting soon and it sounds like the compromises you made il also have to make. Especially as we have said bi-fold doors from the start but now French doors have wormed their way in ;) but we aren’t decided yet. Once it all went in were you that bothered? Do you have pictures of your final outcome?
  • Tani H-S
    5 years ago
    We are mid way through our large ground floor extension after having had all the top floor re-roofed and reboarded to make a proper bedroom. That took long enough and it’s still not finished (not even a conversion!)

I would say whatever timescale they give you, add at least 50% on to that.

Whatever price they give you (even when they have seen full plans AND building regs) - add a good sum onto it as they don’t always price properly ie ours have 3 rooflights at 950 x 1950 size which would cost about £750 each to buy in. Our builder allowed £900 for 3!! No trade discount so already it’s gone over budget :0/

Also be very aware of needing to pay extras for building regs visits (ours cost £600) PLUS if you are a semi house then get your party wall sorted out ASAP. It can take 2-3 months if you have neighbours who ignore you :( (as ours did!!)

Also - steel work. Until you have a structural engineer report done (can cost anything up to £400 depending on the work involved) the price might change as they might insist on OTT steels which will add extra costs.

That’s everything so far we came across which we didn’t expect, ha ha
  • Irina Pele
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Tani H-S is so right in the previous post! I wish I knew it would take so long. None of the builders we saw committed on the paper to the timescale. Around 9 months they were saying and 8 months come and go and we are 75% into it - that's without decorating.

Price wise I recommend to exclude doors and windows from the quote and everything you can source yourself and reduce the total price with the builder. I wisely excluded roof lights and bi-folds. The negotiations I had with the builder on the windows as he wanted to put it cheaper alternatives!? Live and learn.

And communications is key and ideally communications in advance before the shovel goes into the ground. Nothing vaguely :) Its too expensive/ disruptive to change the builders half way so make sure they know how you want it to look.

• iyanini14
    5 years ago

Just to add to all the advice , we are also 6 months into a 4 month complete renovation- gutted the entire , leaving just the roof and 3( front, , party and side ) external walls.

I am a project manager so planned from the start and budgetted to my eyeballs. The reality is with a personal project which involved destroting an creating spaces there are stages where there is just no going back, it costs what it costs to get through so be ready to make tough descions but more importantly have a contingency and chose a builder with strong communication skill, and somone who is solution oriented too will help. We have had no end of issues with our build but our builder is keen to get the job done and is willing to present alternative ideas which helps.

A good support network is essential, friends or family you can cry with, scream at, laugh with are a must have. After renting for 4 months we moved in with friends for what was supposed to be 2 weeks and lets just say we are well into our 8th week and they have been amazing!

Buy as much as you can when you see a good sale. I am not keen on spending on low quality items so EX Display came in handy. Many places will hold things for you if you ask nicely.

• Tani H-S
    5 years ago
    Oh yes re builder communication. Our builder (the one who priced and isn’t doing the work) is really really good to talk to. He knock money off for things we change and is willing to look at alternatives and sort issues out - a real gentleman. It makes such a difference having one you can talk to properly and who won’t get stroppy with you.
  • Jo L
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    such good advice - always good to soeak to those with hindsight! we have first delivery of bricks / materials being delivered on 17th - the builder will be here for the week moving it all round the back, lifting the patio etc & the projexct starts on 2nd Jan!!

We are working to a 16 week timescale but well aware weather will mean it takes much longer no doubt. so long as its finished by time the good weather arrives I will be happy!

Will definately give the website a go that Tania suggests.
    5 years ago
    The types of things we bought ourselves in the sale were the kitchen, 2 bathrooms, utility room , tiles and flooring. In hindsight we should have chosen the windows, french doors, internal doors, extractors , boiler, radiators and paint. We let the builder choose these, thinking he would get a good price. But they are cheap looking. The wall paint comes off with a baby wipe! We had asked for gloss on all the wood work but satin wood was used( builder said this was more modern, and we went with it) But one year later, it is not holding up well with five kids in the house. We should have insisted on gloss. Also still waiting for the builder to finish snagging. You can save on electrics by not having too many fancy lights in the kitchen. On my wish list there were pendant lights over the island and dining table as well as plinth lights in the kitchen. But we ended up with six spot lights in the kitchen and six in the dining room. We feel this is enough. Now that it is winter we don't feel we missed out on bi folds by getting french doors instead. Also an old fashioned spread sheet really helps keep you on track with spending. Once the money has been spent, it's gone, so it makes you look for cheaper alternatives.
  • PRO
    i-architect
    5 years ago

Hi Jo L,

Good luck with your build! Exciting! I hope it goes well.

You asked in the thread what advice there is for controlling your budget. I did a FB live a couple of months ago about how to control costs. You might find it useful. I also do a weekly live Q&A on Fridays, so if you'd like to join the Design Your Home Vision Facebook Group then you can ask me questions to get answered during one of the lives, or just turn up on a Friday and ask questions during the Q&A livestream.

Here is a link to the video about controlling costs: https://www.facebook.com/iarchitectUK/videos/240832063447078/

• Sal89
    5 years ago
    In response to the comment above, Il be following as I’m in the same position as Jo L. A quick question I have for others doing a double extension. We are starting our double story extension in 4 weeks. Full house renovation as it’s our first house we have bought so everything needs doing so the end seems far away yet. Although builders have said 6 months. Anyway the question I have is how far in advance did you order your kitchen, bathroom, etc? Im really trying to making decisions now and some people are shocked that I’m “already” looking as the build hasn’t started. What would you say is realistic? I would love to get some bargains in the sale also as buying everything for a whole house start to finish would be completely overwhelming and stressful for anyone.
    5 years ago
    If you have a large enough storage area, we used our garage, then pre buy kitchen and bathroom items in the sale. A kitchen and bathroom designer can work out what fits where from architect plans. That way you can work out where to put power points, sinks, appliances and lights. Also it's a good idea to pick out flooring early. We chose to put down flooring before kitchen units and baths were installed. I didn't want a gap or beading around the kitchen island or baths. Paint and furniture was definitely last to be chosen and bought.
  • iyanini14
    5 years ago

I bought most things ie bathroom, appliances, finalised kitchen really early in the build and that really helped the builders ensring everything would fit because they were either on hand to measure or I could get the dimensions quite easil. The downside of that though is there is very little flexibility so you can’t your kind later on

• iyanini14
    5 years ago

** mind

• Gabby Wong
    5 years ago

When did you find there were sales? All the normal times throughout the year? or was it different for house/building stuff and tiles etc? We're not looking to start work till middle or march, so I'm hoping for some easter sales as I don't really want to store stuff for half a year when there's potential for a lot more to change between now and then!

• Gabby Wong
    5 years ago

@Tani H-S I just wanted to say thank you for mentioning that home by me website! It's fantastic

• Jo L
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The demolition has started and my house feels upside down already. A little overwhelming!!

• Jo L
    Original Author
    5 years ago

more updates!
    upon digging for foundations - we found very poor ground meaning we need pile foundations. absolutely gutted as this is an additional £5000 npt account for & honestly not sure where we will find this money - can't exactly go back now can we!!

• Gabby Wong
    5 years ago
    Really sorry to hear this Jo!! We pulled up a whole bunch of trees (conifers) that may or may not cause root problems to our foundations back in August to hopefully try and avoid needing piled foundations, I’ll be gutted if we need them anyway as I loved the greenery and privacy that they provided! I completely feel your pain. It’ll be worth the pain in the end!
  • Jo L
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    It will be worth it. ours was to do with not finding clay - they went 6ft down and still didn't find it but instead found the remains of the old school that existed before our house. Horrible situation but will find a way through it! How is everyone else getting on!?
  • Gabby Wong
    5 years ago
    We have planning permission structural engineer’s been round - was meant to get details to the designer before christmas, but we’ve still not had them back.. building control and booking builders (with specific quotes) will be the next hurdle! The idea of starting middle March is starting to look optimistic! Oh well.. least we’ll be headed towards better weather!
  • Martin
    5 years ago

Sorry to hear about the foundations. We're having soil tests done tomorrow and have a large tree near where the extension will sit so rather concerned.

• iyanini14
    5 years ago

Not sure if it’s any consolation but I’m told most of the nasty surprises tend to occur at this stage largely because it’s all discovery at this point so if you’ve planned contingency in your budget hopefully it covers it.

For us it just meant reconsidering our kitchen spend.. bitter pill to swallow but still worth it in then end.

ps: Jo your builders look pretty tidy!

• Jo L
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Honestly - he gives me a run for my money with my ocd ways!!!! He is a good person and we are lucky to have found him!
  • Gabby Wong
    5 years ago
    Have you looked at diykitchens Jo? I think our kitchen will work out considerably cheaper than if we were to go anywhere else. Might be a way to save and not compromise on style too much?
  • PRO
    i-architect
    5 years ago

This is often what happens at this stage because it's really difficult to know what is below ground until you start digging. Pouring concrete into the ground and swallowing up your budget is never fun but sadly this is quite common.

You can get drainage surveys and soil tests and dig trial pits early on to try to avoid nasty surprises, but until you dig properly you just never know what's under there.

If you have to dig pile foundations anyway then it can be worth looking at a ground source heat pump solution for your heating - can be more upfront cost but the energy savings over time could make up for the costs in the long run.

• Sal89
    5 years ago
    Hi! Sorry to hear that, hopefully there won’t be anymore nasty surprises.

Day 1 of our renovation and I’m feeling really nervous although my husband seems very relaxed!! Not much we can do at this stage other than waiting while they dig. Can only hope for the best!
  • Gabby Wong
    5 years ago
    @Jo L how’s it all going now? Starting to make more progress?
  • Dundrum 16
    5 years ago
    Get another opinion before going ahead with the piled foundations. My architect cheerfully informed me that I would need piled foundations at an additional cost of £55k. I went back to the person who had done the original ground report and the structural engineer and discovered that I could have 'short strip foundations' (I think!) at £8k more than standard.
  • Jo L
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi @gabby

All going well here as far as possible in the crap weather! The foundations ended up costing £4500 more which was a problem but we had to sort it. It seems to be taking shape and I am so pleased with the builders - they are here at 7am in all weathers!!!

How is it going for you?

• Gabby Wong
    5 years ago

Eeek! Exciting that they're finally building upwards, I always think the first bit when they're just digging down (after the first day) must seem slightly like an anticlimax, as in some ways there's nothing to see.

We're still waiting for "accurate" quotes to come back from a few people. We were aiming for a Mid-March to April start... which is crazy close if that's actually when we do start?? I'd started to write it off as un-achievable, however both of the builders we like the most have said this would probably work for them, and a May start probably wouldn't! so who knows. I think once we confirm a builder it might all take off at a rate of knots, and all be a bit of a whirlwind.

I love seeing your build take shape, as I can imagine that's where we'll be in a few months time!

• Tani H-S
    5 years ago
    Well we started back in September and it’s still not finished. The shell/roof/doors are in now but still leaks where it joins up with the original house and not even started to plaster yet. Kitchen ‘arrived Christmas’ and I’ve had to have them store it since then!

My builders have been rubbish and I’m so jealous that yours turn up early!! Im lucky if mine arrive by 10am - :0( and some days, they just don’t come at all.

We had clay ground so v lucky on that aspect although they still managed to forget about a main wall that had to come down so now that’s delaying things and is going to cost a lot to put in AND will now hang down under the ceiling because it’s not been done when it should have done. Honestly - I’m getting greyer by the day with this lot and just spend my days constantly frustrated :0(
  • Jo L
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    sorry to hear that Tani. it is a challenge enough when thinks are ticking alkng, never kind the added stresses you describe! sounds as though they need a kick up the behind!

Gabby - that is close. i honestly cannot believe we are in the midst of it!! thought it was never going to happen. good luck choosing a builder!
  • Gabby Wong
    5 years ago

Oh Tani - I'm so sorry to hear that. Definitely not what you want or deserve. How long did they say they thought it would take initially? Also with things like them having forgot about a wall needing to come down, surely that's on them and no an extra cost you'll beed to cover definitely sounds like their mistake!?

• iyanini14
    5 years ago

hi Tani

so sorry to hear that. We’ve been lick in that weve been able to move back in after 5 months instead of 3 out Of the house but we still have windows and doors unfinished. My builder has categorically said he can’t afford to compley the jobs even though it’s probably £2000 worth left which is nothing in comparison to what we’ve spent so far! Now decidinh whether to fight it or just higher individual tradesmen to finish off the work.

I’m in MK ask if you’re not far off your welcome to a large gladd of wine for just soldering On!

• iyanini14
    5 years ago

*glaSS of wine

• Irina Pele
    5 years ago

You are not alone Tani. We started in April and still a few months to go. The major bit and new roof is done and bedrooms are occupied. Back extension where the new kitchen will be, is not weather tight and now builders are in digging stage trying to move all existing connections. Last week we have found that part of the house build in 50s hasn't got a damp proof membrane and earth is not compacted underneath and its sinking. Slowly...but sinking :). I've postponed buying everything until structural staff gets done.

Our builders are slow but looks like doing a good job so we are not complaining - I hindsight I would never do it again thought

• Tani H-S
    5 years ago
    @Irina OMG, that’s such a blow! Hope they can sort the sinking out without a huge cost :0/

Our build was supposed to be pretty much finished by Xmas - hence why we ordered the kitchen for the end of December. We are a running joke with our neighbours and the delivery people at how long everything is taking.

To top it off, the builder/joiner hasn’t turned up since last Wednesday (a week tomorrow) and so we are in limbo again. I really want to ditch him now for my sanity but my OH says it’s going to cost too much to get other people in so we are at loggerheads about it!
  • Jo L
    Original Author
    5 years ago

hello how is everyone getting on? I came home today to scaffolding down and we can walk into the bedrooms now! So pleased with how it looks!

How are things progressing?

• Tani H-S
    5 years ago
    Always great when the scaffolding comes down!

Well we are still not finished and it’s April (supposed to be done by Xmas!)
    Have a kitchen in now but still waiting for plastering to be done, electrics and some plumbing to be finished then we can get the floor in. Reckon on another month before we can actually move in permanently :0(
  • Gabby Wong
    5 years ago
    Looks like a gorgeous (and huge) extension Jo! How’s it been living there during the work?

Tani - sorry to hear you’re still not back in, but your kitchen is looking fabulous! I’m sure it will end up being massively more stylish than ours will, I don’t think I have quite as much attention to the design details you do!

Ours still has yet to start! Delays waiting for structural engineers and quotes and now builders aren’t free until July... however will be better weather at least, so I guess not all is lost.
  • Sal89
    5 years ago
    Wow that looks beautiful, I am jealous of the brick. We wanted a very similar colour brick but the council wouldn’t allow and I didn’t want the red brick so we went with blocks and hopefully crisp render.
    We started our build towards end of Jan. Double extension, the foundations laid and then had the structural engineer out and final final details drawn up. The ground floor blocks have been laid and the scaffold has gone up so don’t know how long that will take. Our builders seem on track and have said August finish but I think it will be September/October

Tani how many bedrooms did you have built and how many rooms downstairs? Also from start date to now what has the time scale been? Xx
  • Sal89
    5 years ago
    Sorry that question was @ Jo...
  • Jo L
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    oh no Tani - sorry to hear progress is slow - but sounds to be moving in the ight direction!! bet you cannot wait to move in! not easy living in chaos!

it hasnt been too bad - this week has been hardest since we have had to bring lots of furniture down into the lounge. i am away for a few days next week, then having an op so will spend a week recovering at my mums!! that should help.

Sal - we are making existing bathroom into en suite. existing bedroom 3 into main (small!) bathroom, & then creating 2 new bedrooms at the back! cannot wait to knock through at ground floor level and get a feel for how big the space will be! x
  • Jo L
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hello! how is everyone getting on? @tania did you get completed? we are almost at the finish line. the builder leaves in 3 days & will come back a week later re-lay the patio! we then just need to finish the flooring downstairs and in the bathrooms! what a year it has been so far! we have had a few hiccups along the way but we have been so happy with the builders they have been so good and really gone above and beyond. so pleased with how it is all coming together!

• Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

I missed your previous update Jo! I was looking for your post to ask how you were getting on! Hows it going now? All the finishing touches finished? I love what you've done with it so far! The 1st 2 pics are they the same wall? the colour looks completely different but perhaps that's just the light?

Having hoped that ours would start earlier in the year... Today we finally started! Eeeek!

How was it sourcing stuff? any tips?

• Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

Can't believe how rapidly ours is flying up now!! I feel like all my months of considerations, ideas and plans will be for nothing and I'll still end up making rush decisions!!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.