patrina_cossey

I hate this design how would you change it?

Patrina
5 years ago

Hi Houzzers I have a very small cleaning hub it is miniscule. I had a kitchen designer come out to measure and design the space. Here are the results. I hate both versions. Even showed him pics of what I had in mind. Shrunk down of course. Do you think its better to have bespoke unit units made?

Comments (42)

• T Gray
    5 years ago

Do you have a pic of what your inspiration was so we can compare?

• AMB
    5 years ago
    I think the second design is better because it has the wall cupboard in the middle.
  • Related Discussions

Unit design - how would you do this please...

Q

Comments (19)
    The frames look kind of squished on some of the shelves, but don't worry about that now. I'm not a big fan of stuff on the top of the tall unit nor how much you have on top of the short unit. I think if you remove the things from the top of the taller one, you'll like it much better. Then, put only one or three things on each shelf, and layer some. For example: put a couple of candles in front of a framed photo -- give it some depth. The shelf unit is dark, so you might want to keep your ornaments, etc. a lighter colour.
    ...See More

How would you design this bedroom? I want it calm, cosy & bright :)

Q

Comments (36)
    Gone through my album of our very own decorating therapy journey and found these. I hope you can see the roller black-out in the first photo, it's tucked inside the recess of the window. The Duette is a peachy colour which looks a lot lighter colour in the north-facing sun. The one in the five panel window is the room below, it does not have the roller blind but the curtains are black out. They are not as efficient in blocking out light as the roller in recess though. the curtains are from Hamilton McBride, only reason i got them were because not many wide (350cm) curtains are cheaply available on Amazon... If your room is not too cold, you can also consider wooden venetian, mine is in white colour as you can see from the 'blue room' (it's F&B's new Vardo btw), which is on the ground floor of the north facing side. 247 does oak colour too. Many neighbours asked us where we got those from!! They look great at a good price - those two windows cost me just under a £100 - but they are not the most energy efficient. They are okay blocking out light but if you have it in the south-facing room, it might not be quite enough. Do go to 247blinds and request some free samples, it's worth a try. Hope this helps! ;)
    ...See More

How would you interior design under the stairs?

Q

Comments (6)
    I would say partially block it in, like the picture above so that the coats and shoes are in cupboards then “go glam” put a shiny chrome radiator on the wall in place of the old white one, or get bespoke mirrors made for the remaining wall and ceiling, the amount of light it bounces round is amazing and the moment you put two mirrors touching each other at different angles it makes it all look so much bigger as the mirrors reflect into each other. Can you change the flooring in your hallway for something brighter? B&Q do an inexpensive range of Dolce walnut laminate, £17 per meter, it’s gloss but not slippery and is really hard wearing, the grain is interesting and the colour is lovely and warm and welcoming
    ...See More

hate our shower room - how can I improve?

Q

Comments (20)
    Thank you all so much. It has totally confirmed what I was thinking to get rid of the blue as a first step. I have Little Green French grey paint left from another room I might trial or FB setting plaster. Didn't think about hanging plant and adding horizontal line with panelling both great plans. thanks. Maybe after doing this I will feel less need to start totally from scratch. Loo over sink - as an FYI to others - is great in principle as we didn't have enough space for a separate sink. On reflection wouldn't do again. Sink is too small and very annoying to use. But it is eco as the water from washing hands is recycled and used to flush the loo!
    ...See More
  • Patrina
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Just a few pics along the lines I was thinking. I was just uninspired about by what I got. Obviously thinking on a smaller scale. The cupboard on the right hides the boiler.

• AMB
    5 years ago
    What will you actually going to be using th space for? Do you plan to stack the washer and dryer - the top one needs to be upside down so you can reach the controls. Have you considered using a combined washer-dryer instead to free up space.

What is it you don't like?

In the drawings I think the sink looks overly large and because it is the middle it means you have no useful worktop space either side.
  • AMB
    5 years ago
    Also, the gap at the top of the appliances is annoying. I would expect a designer to do something about that!
  • AMB
    5 years ago
    The photos that have inspired you are very 'styled' and use bold designs. The drawings you have been given are very bare and functional. Maybe that's why they are uninspiring. From an outsider's view, the drawings deliver what you want in the photos, albeit just on a functional level.
  • Patrina
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    One of the reasons it does not sit well with me. I plan to use the space for laundry etc. Don't think the designer and I had a meeting of the minds :-) Also at 5' 11' I don't think I will have any problems reaching the controls. was thinking of having an undermount sink.
  • AMB
    5 years ago
    Where will the clothes horse go!? Agree, an undermounted or butler sink will be more stylish.
  • Patrina
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I've never used one, however if I need one I would probably go with a minimalist one.

• Jonathan
    5 years ago
    Do you need the sink? If it were me I would prefer an uninterrupted work surface.
    In my opinion the space could look higher end if the vertical panels were thicker- I saw one room where they had done it out of square edged worktop.
  • kikiamack
    5 years ago
    Based on my experience I think a small sink is necessary as you have to empty the cartridge from a condenser dryer after nearly every cycle and it would be a pain to have to take it to another room. Also for hand washing. I also think that stacking the machines makes the space less usable. I think if you have a small under mount sink under the boiler unit, and the machines side by side you will have a really usable surface for folding clothes. You could have a high level shelf with a rail under as well. I can’t find a good picture but this one will give you an idea. Just picture it reversed.
    Lincoln Square Custom Home · More Info
  • minipie
    5 years ago

I would make the sink undermounted and smaller. You could have a cut out chopping board made to fit over the sink (basically the hole they cut out of the worksurface) so you can use it as worksurface too.

I would put the sink under the boiler so you have the central space for sorting and folding. Of course that means the drawers need to swap position with the cabinet. I would also have a proper wall cupboard above that central area, or at least shelves, and get rid of the rail. If you need a drying rail you could use a ceiling mounted pulley operated rack. Or fold down racks on the opposite wall. Or minimal ones as per your photo.

I agree about the styling. If you imagine the design with a bolder floor or wall tile or colour it will be much more interesting.

• Victoria
    5 years ago
    You don’t need a sink for a condenser dryer, there is a tubing kit from most manufacturers to allow drainage via the washing machine drain.
  • Jonathan
    5 years ago
    If you have a vented tumble dryer you wouldn’t have a condensing tank to empty so you wouldn’t need the sink for that. Vented tumble dryers are generally cheaper to buy but they are supposed to be more expensive to run.
    Also consider if you would need tall cupboards more than the work surface - this gives you space to store mops, vacuums and the ironing board. If you do need somewhere to fold clothes perhaps you can have a chippy make a fold down table to go on the back of the door.
  • Daisy England
    5 years ago
    You would not have a problem reaching the controls (despite people’s opinion). I have my dryer over my washing machine just as you have illustrated and the controls on my dryer are eye level. It’s a much better option as opposed to floor level IMO as it saves all that bending down to load and unload. Doors are available from a variety of suppliers on a Made to Measure basis so you would be able to get a door to cover the gap.
  • Juliet Docherty
    5 years ago

I'm sure Jonathan will be able to sort this out for you. Do you have radiator anywhere in the room? If so, a wooden shaker peg rail fixed high above it is a great place to hang clothes to dry on hangers. I used a tall deep ikea cupboard to box in my boiler - it sits on the worktop and hides the microwave and other uglies. I wouldn't be without a sink in my utility as I am always washing out paintbrushes, so bought a small rectangular one from ikea which is perfect. I wonder if it may work if the washer and dryer were both below and the sink was over to the left. The boiler could be hidden in a large cupboard and shelves fitted above the sink....?

This is how I boxed in my boiler:

• Ribena Drinker
    5 years ago

Is there enough room to have them side by side, with a smaller sink with cupboards over the top and the boiler on the wall in a cupboard?

We had that arrangement in our previous house the room was only 6.5ft x 6.5ft. It worked very well and was roomy enough to also have the ironing board up to iron.

• Daisy England
    5 years ago
    Patrina, that stacking item is great. I have a piece of solid surface between my washer and dryer so the dryer has something really firm to sit on. Before we swapped the kitchen around mine used to be on the floor next to each other so when the dryer went over the top of the washer when we had the new kitchen I found it so much easier to load and unload. Would definitely recommend it.
  • maya
    5 years ago
    I have a laundry area in the corridor off the bedrooms in my flat. I stacked the machines differently and use the top drawer of the unit to put the basket and fold clothes. The wardrobes are next to the dryer so clothes are put away as I fold.
  • Bow Sward
    5 years ago
    We have had a condenser dryer for years and have only recently realised that it could have been connected quite easily to the waste water outlet by using a converter thingy, keeping the benefits of the condenser without the relatively minor hassle of having to empty it - duh! - so it may be worth checking whether or not you can do the same with yours if you don’t already know. However, even if you can’t, a small sink is always useful and gives you flexibility - soaking clothes, washing the small dog (should you ever get one), filling with ice for parties etc etc etc - I wish we had been able to stack our machines so we could have an extra sink. You could live without a dish drainer though. And a condenser is the only practical option if the dryer can’t be vented through an outside wall.
  • Patrina
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I forgot to say that my dryer is a condenser one and it is a relatively easy to empty either in the utility sink or a few steps away in the WC sink. In the summer on the rear occasion I use the dryer I actually empty it in the flower beds in the garden. so fairly minor. I just want a space that I will enjoy that is both visually pleasing and functional. I am taking all your points on-board as I have been ruminating about the space for a while. Last the last time I did this I ended up ripping out our downstairs loo which took 6 weeks to revamp. OH was not pleased but in that time I taught myself to plumb and tile. Though these a valuable skills I don't think I'd survive with the tilly room out of use. Please keep your thoughts coming they are most appreciated.
  • minipie
    5 years ago

I wonder about a mirror splashback to increase feeling of space? Tinted rather than plain mirror would be more subtle.

Personally I’d rather have storage space (drawers or cabinets) under the counter, instead of using that space for laundry baskets. I’d just put the baskets on the floor or on any spare counter. But depends on how much you have to store.

I have a similar tiny laundry room to kit out (different layout) so watching this thread with interest.

• PRO
    Hampstead Design Hub
    5 years ago

With all honesty there is nothing wrong with the design, it just doesn't look as polished as the pictures and also the colours are pretty dull. I'm sure if you go for a more punchy colour scheme it will look great. I also agree that putting both machines on the floor will give you more surface area.

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

I prefer the top one. I think it can be improved upon though. The sink is too large and leaves nowhere for folding washing.

The gap above the washer / dryer needs an infill for aesthetic reasons. Also, the cupboard on the right is too large.

You may be better off with all cupboards and no shelves. What would you put on shelves that you want on display?

• Patrina
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Wow what a difference a bit of tidying up of the design makes. Thank you Man about the house. The too large cupboard you mentioned houses the boiler. The shelf is not a shelf it was meant to be a drying rail but didn't look right and after further research I prefer a more minimal option. For the drawer area I would like it purposed solely for laundry kind of like the image below or might that look too messy? what do you guys think. Keen to get this tiny space right.
  • LTS
    5 years ago
    Patrina we have that stacking system with the pull out shelf. Works great.
  • jackymack71
    5 years ago
    I have the stacking shelf item you posted, love it, really practical, will post photo tomorrow.
  • jackymack71
    5 years ago
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000SIYSG6/ref=twister_B06ZZG1721?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And have this mounted on wall next to dryer, is great!
  • Rose Williams
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Very very similar to my little space. I wanted a super deep (200mm)single sink, both the washer and dryer, top cupboard and the boiler to contend with. I raised the surface to allow the sink plumbing to miss the side of the dryer. Tiny as in a 1570 wide space, but made the surface nearer 760 deep.

I think it's that sink they put in the drawing, you dont want a draining area in that small space do you?, it's not for washing pots and takes up the little surface you have for laundry.

• Rose Williams
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Looking at your space, I definitely have the opinion that you will struggle with so little surface space, and those cupboards are all too high to be of any use. I have many cupboards right up to the ceiling and trust that the surface you have with have to be kept clear as will need to be your climbing frame. Theyve been placed SO high just to look tidy with the stacking appliances. My surface is high due to insistence of the deep sink, but your space is far wider, yet the design gives you less surface than even I have here. I am 5ft 8 and cant reach the back of the top shelf in the bottom cupboard without a step or climbing up.

Another thing that pops out at me are the drawers. I love drawers, but would either opt for a super deep pan drawer set, or cupboards in a laundry for all those tall bottles of cleaners and detergents, cleaning bucket.. etc or you will end up like me, with them on the counter. If youre keen on the stacking, with the existing design, I'd really recommend at least a lower shelf right across at mid dryer height (assuming the dryer is the top one).

As someone who struggles to get down low, one of the machines is always going to be low, so at least when I'm down there (struggle sometimes), I'm down there so transferring clothes to the right into the dryer, I think it more beneficial than having to transfer them UP, and down and up again to put the next lot in the dryer... so even if youre fit and nimble, I think side by side is more practical.

Where is the ironing board going? the step I can just about guarantee you will need to use that upper storage? Thats my 2p... I'll go now :)

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

I think having read all of the posts above, that - you want clean lines, but you're keeping your existing machines.

Two ordinary double cupboards will suffice to put in the machines. We had one for years as we didn't want to get rid of our existing machine for an integrated one, so we put it in a cupboard.

If you put the washing and tumble dryer behind doors I think it makes for a more aesthetically pleasing view.

Go for a single bowl sink in the middle. A space on the right for folding the washing etc.

• minipie
    5 years ago

Hi Rose, can you tell me where you found a 200mm deep sink please? Thanks!

• Andrew
    5 years ago

This is very similar in size to our planned utility. The boiler is in the same place as well as both doors. We rejected the idea of stacking so as to maximize the worktop area. In my searches I came across this article in Ideal Home (Item 4) that contained the interesting idea of putting the sink in between the washer and dryer. Can't say I liked the style but it might be a alternative arrangement to consider. Then, put a matching cupboard on the opposite end to the boiler - so bigger than standard - joined by high level shelves above the sink with a drying rail.

• David Harrison
    5 years ago
    I would go for a layout like this. The symmetry makes the space seem less functional and more of a feature. From a practical perspective there is space either side of sink, plus storage is raised up where it is more accessible
  • Rose Williams
    5 years ago

@minipie Ebay, mine was £75 in 2016 and the seller has no listings, however I found the indentical thing here "Commercial Square Single Bowl Catering" which I have a double version of in the kitchen from the same people. Fantastic for filling buckets up etc. I think the key is to look for "catering" sinks for deep ones

• Patrina
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Wow some great advice here, sorry I have not responded for a while. So far I've decided to definately have a deep single bowl under mount sink, I will take the advice to hide the machines behind doors. Also I am going to have the stacking kit as the folding board will give me additional useable space. I don't know if the cupboards in the middle will make the space look heavy? at 5"11" I fear I might be constantly bumping my head against it. My kitchen cabinets are pale cream from Howdens, do you think it would look odd if I have the utility cupboards a light grey with a bold tiled backsplash?
    Thank you all for showing my your utility rooms really appreciate your advice all your advice and would really like to see some more pics of your space saving ideas and how you made your utility rooms more functional. Did not imagine such a small space would give me so many considerations on how to get the space right.
  • Patrina
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Forgot to say a special thank you to MATH for your mock ups :-)
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Re the colour of the units. It wont' look odd if you have a different colour in the kitchen to the Utility, but if the rooms are 'off each other', then I think it looks better if they match.

Ours is a little weird in it's use...........we live in the countryside, so, we use the back door, not the front door as we traipse in and out with shoes on through the utility and in to the kitchen. So, for us the Utility and kitchen have to match, or, yes it would look odd.

So, I guess the siting of it and how it's used comes in to play.

• Patrina
    Original Author
    5 years ago

MATH I think I will stick to cream then, we enter through our front door hallway then kitchen onto the to utility. I bought some tiles sample whilst I had pale grey units in mind. I did not want to be too matcy matchy when it came to the splashback. what do you guys think?

• obobble
    5 years ago
    Is there any capacity to use the back wall at all? If so it would be a good pace to hang your ironing board when not in use. You might also have enough depth to have a fold up table top hung from a baton ( think gate leg table) to give extra surface area when necessary. Do you plan to iron in here or hang up damp stuff that doesn't tumble? If so, just have a think about ventilation. Small spaces can easily get fusty, even with just the tumble dryer. Not sure if you have any windows other than in doors so think carefully about lighting also. I keep my fold up step stool in my laundry, hung on the back of a cupboard door.
  • minipie
    5 years ago

Thanks Rose, looks like just what I need!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.