spender99

Size of Fireplace for Great Room

Chris Moser
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello! I am building a place out in the mountains near me, and am trying to work out some details on the size of my fireplace surround (which folks in the UK apparently call the "fireplace breast"). My room is 16' x 24' with a shed roof going from 14'10" down to 9' - but the wall where the gas fireplace will go is 12' wide because of the open concept of the house. Another key consideration, in addition to size/proportion, is TV placement - I'd ideally like to put it on the right of the TV, kind of like in this picture:

So, questions are:

1. What size of fireplace? Should this be a 36" or a 42" (generally speaking)?

2. What should be the width of the "fireplace breast"? I've worked out either 6' and change, or about 7 1/2 feet.

3. Should I strive to put the TV on the right of the fireplace (as per the picture), or put it over the mantel? I want people to be able to see it (to watch football games, etc.) from the dining room.

First time I've used this, looking forward to the responses!

Comment (1)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.