mrstigs

Help with ground floor layout please...... playroom, snug or study?

MrsTigs
5 years ago

Hi there,

We are about to embark on a renovation/extension of our 1960's detached house. Plans have been approved and are (hopefully!) attached below:

The ground floor plan above shows a separate dining room (in its current location) as well as a table in the kitchen, but we won't be having both. Our original idea was to move the dining table into the kitchen and use the old dining room as a playroom for the children (2 and 5).

However, I'm now thinking that the current dining room (11ft 7" by 8ft) won't really be big enough to house the kids' toys and provide a decent play space.... in which case, it just becomes a glorified cupboard and they might as well keep their toys in the lounge as they do now. The lounge is also a little big to just leave for "best" and/or only use in the evenings or when we're watching TV!

So now I'm wondering what to do with the current dining room??!

1. We could keep the table here, but maybe enlarge the current serving hatch to the kitchen, to create more of a linked space (useful for keeping an eye on the kids at the table while fetching food). And then maybe have a sofa and some toys/an art space in the new extension part of the kitchen? This room has views over the garden and fields beyond, so could be a nice play to sit with a cuppa while the children play or draw. It will also have at least one set of doors to the garden (I'm not sold on bifolds....) so could make a nice "sunroom" type area. I'm not sure if we'd have a TV in here though, so the kids might still be away in the lounge watching a show while I'm prepping dinner.....

2. We could use it as a study/art room/music room and keep our computer desk where it currently is (squashed up in here alongside the dining table and a storage unit). When thinking of the playroom idea, we planned to move the desk to either the new upstairs spare bedroom or the new ground floor "study", but now I'm not so sure......

The latter is labelled as such, but its use is also up for review as it might become more of an indoor DIY workshop/man cave/model railway space for my husband, given that we are sacrificing our garage space and will only have a narrow garden shed instead. And the spare bedroom would become a little cramped if we had a double bed and the desk in there too, so I'm tempted to keep it purely as either a guest room, or a "woman cave" for me with extra storage, a dressing/sewing table and a sofa bed for guests. Both my husband and I work from home for part of the week, and my husband is into PC gaming, so having a proper desk space is important; if we did move the dining table, there would be plenty of room for the desk, plus my piano (if I get it back from my folks) and a kids art table/blackboard etc.

3. Or the dining room could become a snug/TV room/small grown up lounge and we move the computer to some other location (spare room or study/workshop) and the dining table to the kitcehn. And then give the large lounge over to the children while they are small? (Indoor swing and climbing wall anyone?!) We could move our (only) TV in here or get a second one. My husband isn't keen on this idea though as he thinks the room is too small for this.....

A few people (nosey friends and relatives!) have suggested that we open up the current dining room into the new, enlarged kitchen and create one huge kitchen/dining/family space..... But I'm not sure whether that would work in reality? I just can't see how we could get a functional kitchen layout or enough room/flow to make the various areas work and be usable. And again, it makes our current, fairly spacious lounge a bit redundant.....

Obviously, as our children are still young, whatever we decide on now will need to evolve as they grow - I anticipate them keeping more toys in their bedrooms eventually, and wanting to spend less time in my pocket!

Any thoughts or advice?

Comments (19)

• Emmanuelle
    5 years ago
    Hi Claire,
    Looking at your plans, I wonder if it would be possible to swap the kitchen with the utility room. I personally think that the UR has a prime place, with views on the garden, while your kitchen is stuck in the middle, and might be a little dark! This would create a spacious kitchen/ dinner with views on your garden.
    Then, you can use the new study as a playroom, which would then be next to the kitchen, to keep on eyes on your little ones... and the old dinning room as a study/ man cave. I would definitely keep the big lounge as a grown up place....
    It is going to be a lovely spacious ground floor!
    MrsTigs thanked Emmanuelle
  • MrsTigs
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Thanks Emmanuelle, that’s an interesting suggestion!

Originally we were just planning to push the kitchen out to gain the dining space, but then realised we needed to fit in a second loo/bathroom and the whole side extension evolved! We didn’t really revisit the kitchen when the side portion was added - just slotted in the loo and utility etc.

We did wonder about light though, and have toyed with the idea of having a large, square kitchen with a table in the middle, to make best use of the windows overlooking the garden and the roof lights above. But my husband (the cook) thinks it will make things too spread out, and he’s probably right!

I’ll put your suggestion to him and sketch it up - I can see how it would create a nice bright room across the back of the house, but would have to play with the kitchen layout I think.

Would you see the utility room opening into the hallway or the kitchen? It would create more of a walk through the main kitchen with laundry etc, and wouldn’t work as a muddy boot room as such.... but we might be able to add a coat and shoe cupboard opposite the new utility room (on the right wall of what is currently the kitchen) which might be a welcome addition.

Thanks again - food for thought!

• Related Discussions

Ground floor layout help please!

Q

Comments (3)
    If the house is small, there is not much you can do. Other than adding an extension to the rear and creating an open plan kicthen / dining room with a small seatign area. One house i recently designed.
    ...See More

Help please with ground floor layout

Q

Comments (23)
    I’ve had a play with this - please feel free to use any elements you like ! But obviously where I’ve removed /moved walls a SE will need to be involved ! This is just a rough idea … I’ve expanded on your great idea for sight line and created a study nook with window over desk area to give that view out, as you enter the home.. I’ve reduced the bathroom to a shower room with laundry appliance cupboard too … also stolen some space from master bedroom for hall storage - moving the entrance door to that bedroom, and the wall, in the process … I’ve kept the lounge with fire place and added book shelving to reduce noises from lounge to bedroom. I’ve worked with your current kitchen space to put in a USA ff ( but can’t be in the corner as the doors wouldn’t open well - so moved the hob to accommodate it) You mentioned moving a cupboard and existing int FF to get the USA in - if the cupboard is 600mm could you simply buy another int FF and have it next to the original instead ? I added a window seat at the end of the kitchen … you mentioned taking down the top part of the internal wall to dining - so I’ve run with that too. It’s just tweaking what’s there really . But as I say - just some ideas to get you thinking - and to add to the other ideas on this thread. Oh - and I opened up the area below the kitchen to a seating area and added sofas and tv too. Hope you like some bits !! Although I do appreciate its now significantly open plan - and although that suits some - not everyone likes it !
    ...See More

Ideas for better layout of extension on ground floor please

Q

Comments (16)
    Hi Ellie. It's a good point. I assumed these detailed points have already been discussed between the architect and the client. If Chris wants to have the fireplace for the lounge/lliving space then the room with a dining table to the front and the kitchen + island counter to the rear will be split. My understanding was that the room at the rear extension is the main dining space and the room to the front was going to be used for occasional formal dining. It all depends on how the space is going to be used. It looks like it's possible to have a smaller dining table in the rear extension if the island is reorganised or removed. There are severalf physical and planning constraints so Chris needs to define his priority.
    ...See More

Ground floor layout and rear extension help!!

Q

Comments (9)
    In having a similar dilema! could uou knock through the sitting room have an extension going across from the consevatory so have a big open plan kitchen/ dining room/ kiddy room. keep the snug but have that as your utility room? im planning on doing a similar thing. my children are quite young but how long will they need a playroom for? so i thooght just having their area in the main kitchen dining area like i have sugested for you. i wil send some ohotos x
    ...See More
  • Emily
    5 years ago
    Jonathons plan would be really nice to live in I think. Largest living area kitchen and dining all relate to each other and have prime position and will be used every single day. Utility overlooking front, I like that, you get to see what’s going on yet it’s easy access from kitchen but out of the way from relaxing areas. And although the smaller living is smaller than existing it in my view will be a nicer room being squarer, it’s cosier and hasn’t lost any seat positions plus relates to day area for Christmas overspill. Okay there isn’t a dedicated play room but storage could be in the study or even both living areas and then there’s a big incentive to only allow the toys out that are currently being played with?
    MrsTigs thanked Emily
  • Pavan123
    5 years ago
    I love Jonathan's plan. Works very well. You could even use th dining space he has currently for play storage with one sofa in, and have the dining space where the sofas are currently. That way the toys are out of the way of the main living space but not separate. As you said, kids just bring the toys to wherever you are anyway!
    MrsTigs thanked Pavan123
  • Emmanuelle
    5 years ago
    Hi again!
    By any chance, is there a passage way outside, on the left, along your house? If yes, you could have a door opened up on the side to access UR from garden, without going through the kitchen...
  • MrsTigs
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone :)

Jonathan's open plan concept is certainly an interesting one...... obviously a more "radical" transformation and my concern would be the expense - lots more walls going up and coming down! (I assume that's a structural pillar near the kitchen island?) We have a budget of around £100-130k, which would hopefully include some general renovations to the existing house (new family bathroom, new bannisters for the stairs, replacement windows to the front and new hallway flooring). We're in West Sussex so might possible have a postcode premium to factor in :/

I do like the idea of having a kitchen/diner/sitting area across the back of the house though, as that would really make the most of views to the garden and countryside beyond. And a proper study at the front would be lovely as it's nice to have a nose out the front while working!

I'm not so keen on lugging washing from a front utility room to the back garden, but I do like the side access so it could still function as a muddy boot room. I can see the smaller sitting room not really being used at present, if we had a sitting area in the main room, but it would come into it's own when the children are older and either they or us retreat there to escape each other :)

While the children are small, I can definitely see the dining table going where the sofas are in the main room and the former dining room becoming a casual sitting area/play space with toy storage. They just aren't older enough to want to play upstairs in their rooms yet, although my 5 year old will do this if he has a friend over. We could definitely re-configure the room as we went along though.

My husband would lose his workshop/man cave in that design, so I'm not sure how he'd feel about that..... but it's certainly something to consider. I think we've shied away from the full open plan concept somewhat, as it feels like quite a leap from the house we are used to! And I always find it odd when a house looks traditional on the outside and then opens up into a cavernous, modern space when you open the front door......

But perhaps I need to sit with that concept for a while, plan it out a bit and take a look at some interior design inspiration? I think it if I could, I'd live in a very traditional, rustic county cottage with cosy spaces, but that it's the reality of this house, so......

• kikiamack
    5 years ago
    Without speaking specifically about your design / layout, I can see that you’ve worked within existing walls and I think this has confined you somewhat. I think it is easy to get worried about knocking down walls and putting in steels. When we put our upstairs extension in and reconfigured downstairs, we had a couple of walls moved by about 2ft, both upstairs and downstairs. Whilst this might not seem worth it to a lot of people, it made a massive difference to the result. We were able to square off the kitchen diner and our spare bedroom became a decent usable double, rather than a squashed one. I would say you need to think about making some rooms multifunction, man cave / office or spare room / office. Also, I would definitely have a playroom that you can shut the doors on as the kids get older. Computer games are noisy! Whilst you won’t be thinking about this yet, you will definitely want to monitor your kids online activity when they are in junior and senior schools, and having the computer and games console downstairs is one way of doing this. Also you may not want them to have TV in their rooms so they will potentially be watching in the playroom. It’s a lot to think about but this is the time to get it right for you, before you’ve spent the money, not after.
    MrsTigs thanked kikiamack
  • MrsTigs
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yeah, the plan has been a bit sporadic in its development...... :/

We initially just planned to enlarge the kitchen to fit in a table, so we could use the existing dining room as an office. But then opted to also convert the back of our current tandem length garage to include a utility and toilet, which quickly evolved to rebuilding it completely as a two storey extension to gain a bedroom and en-suite above! We initially thought of keeping a single integral garage at the front, but then realised we never put the car away anyway and could build a large shed instead. So this then became another room....

I guess we should take time to revisit now and really thrash out how we want to use the space. I definitely agree that areas can become multifunctiona, and that having a room that could be shut off for housing toys now and a second TV/games console later would be beneficial. I’m definitely not a fan of kids having these in their rooms!

Thanks for your input :)

• Jonathan
    5 years ago
    You are right that my plan comes with about £4/5k more work but adding theses RSJs can’t be done later but you could upgrade the bathroom later.

In my opinion you would use the the large living space next to the kitchen as the principal lounge. Personally I think the space you use the most should be the largest. Dividing the original living room does give you a room that could be a play room. You would also have a study- personally I think this is better accessed from the hall rather than through the utility room.
    Personally I prefer this layout and feel that you end up with a better kitchen.

Lastly you have made a comment about feeling uncomfortable with open plan spaces- don’t forget that they don’t have to be bright white spaces and with the use of wood and painted furniture you can make it feel very cozy
    MrsTigs thanked Jonathan
  • MrsTigs
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

It’s true..... when I think about open plan spaces I do always see visions of a minimal interior - a glossy white kitchen, with white walls and an expanse of white flooring! Which isn’t really to my taste and, in our family, would soon be marred by piles of washing up, sticky jammy fingerprints, a sea of toys and several muddy footprints :/

But, of course, we could go for different finishes and have something a bit cosier and more practical..... lots to think about!

The financial aspect is a big one too of course. As you say, we could spend more on the structural changes and then save up for other bits later, like the bathroom etc. The trouble is, we’ve got to move and replace a boiler, gas meter and inspection pit already.... plus there are several areas of the existing house that do need fairly urgent attention; the front windows are draughty, the front door sticks, the bath leaks and the (lovely) wool carpet is being eaten by moths!!

So I think we’re going to have to manage our budget quite carefully.... I’ve already lived with the above for a number of years (knowing that we might extend/remodel) and I’m not sure how much patience I have left!

• kikiamack
    5 years ago
    If you do a search for “broken plan” under “stories” on Houzz there are quite a few articles which might help you to decide how open plan or not you want to be, and lots of pictures showing how people use their spaces.
    MrsTigs thanked kikiamack
  • MrsTigs
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ooh, thanks - that’s my evening browsing sorted! :)

• mml235
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

What option did you go for in the end?

• MrsTigs
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We did love some of the suggestions above… but stuck with our original plan!

Although we did change the kitchen layout from U-shaped to ”farmhouse” style, with the table in the middle and sink under the window overlooking the garden.

The old dining room has become an office with two desks - partly due to COVID and the need to work from home and homeschool etc! We have also moved a lot of the children’s toy storage in here although they still bring things into the main lounge to play where there’s more room.

At 8 and 5, they also actually now keep and play with a lot of toys in their rooms, so I think the old dining room will remain as more of a computer and homework room - it’s nice being able to shut the door!

The ”study” on the plan is very much a workshop/gym/play room for my husband! We didnt want to sacrifice that space. It might turn into a teenage den later on perhaps, or even a downstairs bedroom for my Nan.

The small upstairs bedroom has become a second office as I’m also still working from home (and my husband has too many meetings downstairs!). It houses our sofa bed too so acts as a spare room and my space to do yoga and sewing.

Overall, we are pleased with how everything turned out. We quite like the option to have space away from each other and the flexibility to change the use of the different rooms. We do all spend a lot time together in either the kitchen or main lounge as plenty of space in both.

• MrsTigs
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• MrsTigs
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Some pics of the kitchen space above…

Nothing is finished though, as the main build was delayed during the first lockdown and then our plans to reorganise and decorate were scuppered by the second stint of homeschooling and general pandemic-fatigue at the beginning of 2021!

Maybe this year…

• mml235
    2 years ago

There are so many stories of delays with building works over the last couple of years, but the space looks really nice especially as it's not totally finished yet! I like the colour of the wooden floor especially. Also being at home more means you really get a feel for the space you have and how best to use it for your family!

• MrsTigs
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Definitely a crazy time to start a building project! We had several weeks on downed tools and various supply chain delays on materials too.

Not to mention all four of us home ALL the time and trying to work/homeschool/cook/survive etc!

The shops being shut didn‘t exactly help with choosing fixtures and fittings either, but probably narrowed our choices a bit - so maybe not such a bad thing ;)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.