smadd

Design/ Builders dispute

smadd
5 years ago
We’re currently having a single storey rear extension built which we commissioned an architect to design.

Despite only being allowed to go up to 4m in height, it was designed to be within a few mm of this and as a result, during building it has gone over the height limit.

It is already significantly higher than we, as lay people who did not fully understand the drawings, expected it to be. We now have a view from our 3rd bedroom of mainly a pitched roof rather than open space.

They are saying there are building tolerances that cannot be accounted for and planning will not challenge it. They also said it would be several thousand pounds cost to us to lower the ridge and that another job may take priority leaving us behind schedule.

We’re trying to invite an amicable solution but feel like the buck is being passed.

Do you think the compromised 3rd bedroom view is a problem (it does not block the light) and what can we do to protect ourselves?

We generally have a good rapport with the team and want them to stay motivated.

How should we address it?

Thank you in advance.

Comments (17)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.