maxine_sheppard

Thoughts on the dreaded macerator / saniflo toilet

Moop
5 years ago

I'm having a loft conversion in a small Edwardian mid-terrace house. Typical dilemma: the en suite will be at the front of the house under the eaves and all the plumbing is at the back. I've been told I'll need a macerator. The only other solution is to have the pipework boxed in which will have to go down into main bedroom on first floor, along landing, into bathroom and join up with soil pipe there. I've been told it's a major challenge because it will need to go through steels, and joists that run the wrong way, and will ruin original features like coving etc. It will look awful, essentially, and be considerably more expensive.

Two questions:

1) Does anyone have *anything* good to say about having a macerator toilet? The horror stories online are really putting me off. People have even said it will devalue the property.

2) The en suite will also have a shower and a sink. Will everything have to be connected to the same pipe? Or can the shower and sink be separate from the toilet? Another nightmare scenario you read about a lot is the sewage coming up through the shower drain. I'm having a wet room so this is about as appealing as a cup of cold sick.

I should add that I'm the only one living here so it's not going to get used that often.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (10)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.