camille_melanie

What to do with this fireplace?

C D
5 years ago
Hello all
Thanks in advance for your help :) it is always very much appreciated.

I am puzzled on what to do with the fireplace in our playroom.
I really dont like it, especially the brown tiles in the top and hearth.
The bricks are a dark red/grey colour which will not suit the style or colors of the house.

However, I am struggling to find a replacement, as the chimney breast is only 120cm wide and therefore too small for standard fireplace size (usually 135cm) but too big for a bedroom fireplace that would look a bit small.

I thought of replacing it with a iron cast combination fireplace, but those are usually Victorian and our house is 1930s. So it would be a bit strange.

Also cost is a consideration and I am trying to cost it down by either upgrading the current fireplace or getting a second hand one from eBay or similar.

My latest idea is to remove the brown tiles and replace them with dark black matt ones, paint the bricks dark blue (stiffkey blue).
I am also thinking maybe I should create a sort of wood surround to put around and painted white. I may need to have it bespoke as the bricks are not standard shape. Maybe my husband can make it himself, but I am concerned it may look “cheap”?

I am quite confused and I would appreciate ideas, views and suggestions on what to do with this fireplace... :)

For reference, our house is 1930s and I am trying to reinstate some features (not all) from this area. Overall style is modern country (think Neptune as furniture) and some neutral colors (light grey and light blue with some accent colors like stiffkey blue) and we will instal a light pale oak wood floor eventually.

Many thanks for your views :)

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.