melanie2204

Advice on adding a fireplace or feature for 60s townhouse

melanie2204
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We have moved into a 60s townhouse and want to redo the lounge. There is no chimney and no gas connection in the lounge. The previous owner added a fire surround and electric fire which I don’t like. I want to redo the room in a modern mid century style and I am going to replace practically all the furniture (except for the dark wood cupboard). However I am struggling to know what sort of fireplace to create or alternative feature. I don’t want the TV to be the focal point. I was thinking of a fake chimney breast all the way up to the ceiling with an inset bioethanol fire. Maybe clad in wood or some sort of tile. But I don’t want to embark on a complicated and expensive job as we are on a budget. Has any one got any suggestions? The room is quite long but narrowish so I didn’t want to make it appear even narrower. As I haven’t bought any new furniture yet, I can change the room layout and position a new fireplace somewhere else in the room. I’ve posted 3 pictures of our lounge, as well as a cojoke of fireplaces to show the sort of thing I was thinking about - but wasn’t sure.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.